Page 19 of 231 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 3463
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

  1. #271
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    31,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    Reflexivity_(social_theory)

    Kind of sounds like the above. George Soros, Billionaire and PhD student under Popper used it to guide his trading strategy.
    Yeah, a quick read of that makes it seem like there are more than a few similarities tbh, quite a bit that overlaps in any case. Though systems theory tends to deal with a wider range of spheres than those that can be considered social systems. I wouldn't suggest you read the wiki page on it though, last time I checked it was full of confusing rhetoric which didn't actually explain anything, just gave a vague description of what the theory entailed.

  2. #272
    Hall of Fame Member Cevno's Avatar
    Simon Champion!
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    15,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Find me a scientific reference for point one and prove it isn't black and white.
    I believe it is caused by man, so arguing for the other side would be playing kind of devil's advocate. I can give you some links but no point as then i can't go and defend them.

    In any case even if it is the case with 1, 2 and 3 are still to be settled and thus the issue is still a evolving one in policy terms.
    Last edited by Cevno; 16-11-2011 at 06:12 PM.

  3. #273
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,390
    You said it wasn't black and white. I'm not asking you to defend the other side, I'm asking you to provide references to scientific articles proving it isn't black and white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  4. #274
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    You said it wasn't black and white. I'm not asking you to defend the other side, I'm asking you to provide references to scientific articles proving it isn't black and white.
    Good luck trying to find a viable hypothesis and a magical process by which 9 billion tons of emissions have no effect whatsoever.

    "See we burn them and then....err...they go away like into....errr...Rick Perry 2012!!!"
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing


  5. #275
    Hall of Fame Member Cevno's Avatar
    Simon Champion!
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    15,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    You said it wasn't black and white. I'm not asking you to defend the other side, I'm asking you to provide references to scientific articles proving it isn't black and white.
    I think Spark already posted one before.There is that whole argument which says that the temperature was rising throughout the ages in any case and with population growing it had to rise more etc..

    There was a Whole NOAA report saying that Antartica had stopped to warm more in 2007/8, also parts of some IPCC reports, some parts of flip flops and lies caught in some earlier reports with facts still emerging etc.....

    I don't certainly believe them as with more carbon emissions increased they have to go somewhere, so i can't argue for that side and neither i have the expertise to go into the scientific details or what some scientist are saying on that side(or whether they are industry sponsored or not).In any case settled in public policy terms means that when everyone is convinced.
    .
    Point 2 and 3 are more important AFAIC. Hasn't a recent report by the IPCC(?) sister organisation said that it would become irreversible after 5 years or something?
    Last edited by Cevno; 16-11-2011 at 06:38 PM.

  6. #276
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,390
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Good luck trying to find a viable hypothesis and a magical process by which 9 billion tons of emissions have no effect whatsoever.

    "See we burn them and then....err...they go away like into....errr...Rick Perry 2012!!!"
    exactly

  7. #277
    Global Moderator Fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,427
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Good luck trying to find a viable hypothesis and a magical process by which 9 billion tons of emissions have no effect whatsoever.

    "See we burn them and then....err...they go away like into....errr...Rick Perry 2012!!!"

  8. #278
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    I think Spark already posted one before.There is that whole argument which says that the temperature was rising throughout the ages in any case and with population growing it had to rise more etc..
    That wasn't an argument. That was a case-in-point example of a logical fallacy on the part of those who draw little overlapping blue lines wherever they can that happent go down for brief times.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    get ready for a broken ****in' arm

  9. #279
    Hall of Fame Member Cevno's Avatar
    Simon Champion!
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    15,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    That wasn't an argument. That was a case-in-point example of a logical fallacy on the part of those who draw little overlapping blue lines wherever they can that happent go down for brief times.
    I know what you meant and i would mostly agree with you. But that is one argument often presented by people and even scientists on the other side. And both sides have a tendency to exaggerate the truth and turn facts into what suits them best.
    Last edited by Cevno; 16-11-2011 at 08:31 PM.

  10. #280
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    I know what you meant and i would mostly agree with you. But that is one argument often presented by people and even scientists on the other side.
    Which scientists are these and what % of the total do they constitute?

    Reminds me of this: Weathering Fights - Science: What's It Up To? - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 10/26/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

    Unfortunately this is the mainstream platform of the republican party.

  11. #281
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    While Herman Cain is simply ignorant, Ron Paul's views are flat out dangerous for a civil society.

    On Health Care :- Tea Party Fanatics Cheer 'Let Him Die' - YouTube
    I watched the debate live and I don't think I have heard a more hypocritical response to health care debate.

    On Abortion - Ron Paul on Abortion and Stem Cell Research - YouTube

    Abortion is an act of violence ? Really ? And I don't understand this Federal Vs. State Govt. right, so it is okay if the state government allows abortion but not if Federal Govt. does ? To me it is just passing the buck to the states. He continues to justify his stance by citing extreme examples.

    Education :- Ron Paul: 'Education Isn't A Right' - YouTube

    Education isn't a right, Really ?? May not be a constitutional right (which is a a joke anyway). So you want to protect the right of the unborn but do not want to have anything to make sure that he.she gets an equal opportunity to get educated.

    Civil Rights Act :- Enuff has already been said about this.

  12. #282
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,435
    I have a great deal of respect the Ayn Rand philosophical school of libertarianism, but only as a philosophy. What a lot of people have done with that philosophy - Ron Paul included and in many ways at the heart and centre - is truly despicable.

    Libertarianism was originally supposed to be about limited government intervention with a social conscience.

    A lot of people seem to have forgotten the second bit.

  13. #283
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,811
    Ah Ayn Rand - summarized succinctly by Roger Ebert as: "I’m on board; pull up the lifeline."

    Atlas Shrugged was such a chore.

    On a side note which is unrelated since I'm sure there isn't anyone here who takes Glenn Beck seriously but it was hilarious to see him go on and on about Rand until someone pointed out that she was an atheist and wasn't exactly a fan of religion in general. Pretty funny moment.

  14. #284
    International Debutant shankar's Avatar
    3 Card Poker Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    2,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    Scientific knowledge is based on conjectural leaps and a theory takes what is known and places it in the unknown (not the otherway around as Aristotle put it) because you simply can never exhausively test any theory. All swans are white is never verified because every single person observes it to be so, but is certainly falisified once one counter example is found, such as a black swan in WA is discovered.
    While Science doesn't proceed by constantly adding to a set of proven 'facts', it doesn't proceed, as you say above, by falsifying theories either. No fact can disprove a theory because one can always take recourse to some auxiliary hypothesis which can save the theory. For example the perihelion precession wasn't as predicted by Newtonian effects. Yet this fact didn't falsify Newtonian mechanics. Several ad-hoc hypotheses were proposed to explain the 'anamoly' until Einstein's general relativity. So theories can neither be proved nor disproved by any set of 'facts'. One can however distinguish between progressive and degenerating research programmes as shown by Lakatos.
    Last edited by shankar; 16-11-2011 at 10:34 PM.

  15. #285
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,811
    Well that's only sort of true. While a single fact will not disprove a theory that is able to make many many predictions, it depends on the type of fact. The reason ad-hoc explanations were offered because Newtonian mechanics still explained a hell of a lot, and more importantly, there was no other theory that explained everything Newton's did plus the new fact. That latter is key. A discovery of a new process or a fact does not invalidate the facts which are explained by the previous theory - that theory is still sufficient to explain all the facts it previously did, and unless someone can do a better job of explaining those facts, it makes no sense to abandon a theory that yields useful results.

    As an example, it would be like as soon as a single fact was found that contradicted Newtonian mechanics, you would stop engineering buildings or machines that relied on calculations derived from Newtonian mechanics....that approach wouldn't really make any sense.

    However, and this is both field and theory dependent, it is possible for a single fact to disprove a hypothesis depending on how central to the theory it is.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The British Politics Thread
    By cover drive man in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3666
    Last Post: 29-08-2014, 06:57 PM
  2. Media
    By SirBloody Idiot in forum Cricket Web Tennis
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 06:10 AM
  3. FAQ & Introduction Thread
    By Samuel_Vimes in forum Cricket Web Tennis
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 20-06-2011, 11:06 AM
  4. Finally ! A Last Word Thread
    By SJS in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-01-2010, 07:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •