Page 181 of 229 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,715 of 3431
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    vote on Sandy aid delayed or something. gonna blame Cantor for this #dummyspit
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Well the problem with everyone's taxes going up is that everyone's taxes go up.

I really, really can't empathise with complaining about brinkmanship - then advocating brinkmanship when you don't agree with it! Well, no. It doesn't work like that.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    What's the date for the next artificially created crisis going to be I wonder?

if you don't like democracy you can go back to canada

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Well the problem with everyone's taxes going up is that everyone's taxes go up.

I really, really can't empathise with complaining about brinkmanship - then advocating brinkmanship when you don't agree with it! Well, no. It doesn't work like that.
    Ok, so the taxes go up to Clinton era levels. That's not the end of the world in my book. The economy prospered under those tax levels. Of course it will hurt the middle class (of which I'm a part of) in the short run. But the taxes going up, along with the automatic spending cuts, would've helped the economy in the long run. It wouldn't have been the ideal solution, but it was a better solution than this "compromise".

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    This is all smallball. Either we need to cut Medicare, Medicaid and defense significantly or we need to institute a national VAT to pay for it. There is no other way short of bankruptcy a decade or two down the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Ok, so the taxes go up to Clinton era levels. That's not the end of the world in my book. The economy prospered under those tax levels. Of course it will hurt the middle class (of which I'm a part of) in the short run. But the taxes going up, along with the automatic spending cuts, would've helped the economy in the long run. It wouldn't have been the ideal solution, but it was a better solution than this "compromise".
    You're kidding, right?

Have a look at Europe and see what austerity has done there and then come back before advocating a more extreme austerity package than anything Europe has come up with. The first imperative of any economic policy is to not be Europe, whatever ideology you come from.
    Last edited by Spark; 01-01-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    You're kidding, right?

Have a look at Europe and see what austerity has done there and then come back before advocating a more extreme austerity package than anything Europe has come up with. The first imperative of any economic policy is to not be Europe, whatever ideology you come from.
    Except we're not talking European levels at all. FAR from it. The Clinton era tax levels weren't back breaking. Some would say for an economy of this size, they were ideal. In addition, we need spending cuts. With sequestering, half of those spending cuts would've come from defense. You know what? I think the US can do without 500 less tanks and still blow away any other country that dares to mess with it. I don't see how you can compare this to austerity at all.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    This is all smallball. Either we need to cut Medicare, Medicaid and defense significantly or we need to institute a national VAT to pay for it. There is no other way short of bankruptcy a decade or two down the line.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    I agree but not nearly enough by itself.

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    vote on Sandy aid delayed or something. gonna blame Cantor for this #dummyspit
    You rang?

THE KEY PLAYERS

hmmmmmm

There are some great articles on Politico that cover the subject, including this:

Why Obama, McConnell took the deal

The article demonstrates my deep frustrations with this deal. Obama is under a false impression of having some type of “leverage” whereas it’s the Republicans that hold all the leverage now. In the upcoming fight over the debt ceiling and sequestering, they will demand deep spending cuts from entitlements and possibly even demand tax cuts. With no fiscal cliff threat, Obama will have no choice but to cave.

He won't. He's got the pulpit - hammer them over not paying the bills if they don't. And truthfully, he needs to come with a proposal to balance the budget rationally too. I'm all for higher revenue but no plan by either party really does anything. Even the 'grand bargain' would have barely made a dent.

Thread Information