Page 180 of 228 FirstFirst ... 80130170178179180181182190 ... LastLast
Results 2,686 to 2,700 of 3408
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

Simon Champion!
    He can push for it now though and communicate that agenda to the people, if he wants. After the recent incidents the timing is right plus he is in his honeymoon period after winning the election.

What is too lose?

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Well, if he pushes and wins, or loses, he might have to expend a lot of political capital. He had a huge amount of it in 2008 and spent almost all of it on one single issue: healthcare. And it cost him and the party a lot.

There are several big item fights that he has to gear up for: the budget/taxes and immigration being two massive ones that MUST get done. Now if you add gun control, it makes it very tough. Does it he want to use his arm twisting and pressuring on this issue - or something else? He doesn't have the political capital to bullrush on all the major issues - you alienate a lot of people each time you push through a controversial bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Still holding out hope for a $20 flat carbon tax as a broad-scale revenue measure, which seems to have been getting some airtime lately. Not only because it would more than halve the deficit within the decade, but it would be the most glorious troll in history.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    well it could actually happen, which is why it's getting airtime, but it won't happen. so.
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

NRA press conference live: http://news.yahoo.com/video/abc-news...220000361.html

Summary: Get rid of gun free zones. Have armed personnel at schools. "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good buy with a gun."

EDIT: Also movies and videogames.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 21-12-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Proof?

I have read from various sources that their clout is overrated, and that they had very little influence during the 2012 election.
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    So in the late 1960s, Congress passed the Gun Control Act. NRA really got going after that. It was looking for a while that we would end up with extremely strict gun control laws.

In 1986, they Firearms Owners Protection Act - which really pulled a lot of teeth from the Gun Control Act.

They had some defeats in the 90s - with several gun control laws passed including the assault weapons ban.

In 2004, despite George Bush saying he would extend it, they launched a massive lobbying campaign and the law lapsed.

Next year, they passed a law that stops people who make and sell guns from being sued if someone uses their weapons. After that, they passed law making sure the government can't take your guns away during a natural disaster. You can now carry guns in American national parks - this law was passed despite massive democrat majorities in both houses AND President Obama in office (he didn't want to take on the NRA because it would endanger his credit card reforms).

Not one gun control legislation has passed Congress since the 90s, including when Democrats had almost 60 senators and a huge majority in the House.

However, to see the real changes, you have to look locally - as I said they are different than other lobbies because they have support of a lot of average people, which means they can be local, and vocal, in their lobbying. They can mobilize their members and go door to door in addition to flooding the town with ads. Politicians don't like ads against them, but what they like even less is people in their constituency (not protesters bussed in from other places) demonstrating by the hundreds against them and giving free press to the opposition.

Check this out. In 1986, only 9 states had laws that issued concealed carry licences on a 'no restriction' or 'shall issue' basis. No restriction means obviously no licence needed and shall issue would be that there would only be a few specific instances where it could be denied and the local authorities had no say in who couldn't. 16 states had NO laws granting an ability to carry a concealed weapon.

Fast forward right now: 41 states have 'no restriction' or 'shall issue basis'.

Yup, you went from 9 states to 41 states which pretty much have unlimited concealed carry laws. And the 16 which prohibited it completely? That's down to 1. That's right. 1.

There used to be a serious conversation about banning all handguns in the country. Now it's doubtful if even a semi-automatic assault rifle can be banned.

If you don't call that dominating the field, I don't know what qualifies.
    Some more info: NRA has strong lobby in states - Dec. 20, 2012

Well I got angry at first, but I must admit I don't think much will change. The NRA response, is in my British "liberal" eyes rabid nonsense, but clearly it reverberates across this nation.

Yet, did they really say:

"This is the beginning of a serious conversation. We won't be taking any questions."

as I've heard.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Simon Champion!
    Kerry appointed as Secretary of state. Interesting choice, probably not the best for India here though.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Well, if he pushes and wins, or loses, he might have to expend a lot of political capital. He had a huge amount of it in 2008 and spent almost all of it on one single issue: healthcare. And it cost him and the party a lot.

There are several big item fights that he has to gear up for: the budget/taxes and immigration being two massive ones that MUST get done. Now if you add gun control, it makes it very tough. Does it he want to use his arm twisting and pressuring on this issue - or something else? He doesn't have the political capital to bullrush on all the major issues - you alienate a lot of people each time you push through a controversial bill.
    I don't think he should touch gun control, personally. Nothing within the realms of possibility is likely to make the slightest bit of difference and will only serve to illustrate to the NRA that gun control doesn't work. Political capital should be expended where he can actually make a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Kerry appointed as Secretary of state. Interesting choice, probably not the best for India here though.
    Why? I've never heard of him to be anti-India.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    **** him. Let the Republicans primary him for some bat****-crazy teabagger who makes rape gaffes in debates.

It's fascinating how ready they are to eat their own.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Fiscal Cliff deal passes

I gotta say, I'm really ****ing disappointing here. The Bush tax cuts for those making less than $400,000 ($450,000 for couples) are now permanent. I was upset with the $250,000 number that Obama campaigned on, much less this number.

Obama also couldn't get Congress to do away with the debt ceiling so we'll have the same ****ing debate soon when we have to raise the debt ceiling. Not to mention, this deal does nothing about sequestering so we'll have fun in our hands to address that.

I know that Obama will say that he needed to "compromise" in order to prevent the fiscal cliff dive and ruin the economy. Bull****. He had all the leverage. He just won the election on a campaign of raising taxes. The Republicans had no leg to stand on. If they were being bullish, then Obama should've let the fiscal cliff happen. That way, we would've gone back to across the board tax increases to Clinton era levels. And if people get upset with that, they were going to blame the Republicans, as they rightly should.

Hell, even Grover Norquist is happy with this deal! That speaks volumes.

Thread Information