Page 145 of 229 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,175 of 3424
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    are you suggesting a system devised in 1787 (or w/ever) might perhaps be a bit out of date
    Hadn't realised how bad it was until I read about it earlier- Wyoming gets one electoral college vote per 180,000 population, California gets one per 680,000 population.

They're awfully undemocratic for a nation with a hard-on for invading countries in the name of democracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

I personally am not in favor of the electoral college, but itís not as bad an idea as itís being made out to be in this thread. For a nation that was founded on the principal of Stateís rights, the electoral college was the most effective way to ensure that every State had a voice. In a popular election format, the election can obviously be dominated by the States with the biggest populations. In that format, no one would give a **** about New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Montana etc. In the Electoral College format, the candidates are almost forced to wage a campaign on a state-by-state level in the smaller states and in theory listen to the voices of citizens all over the country.

Also, the founding fathers never intended the country to be a pure democracy; instead they formed a republic. Again, I favor the popular vote format myself, but I do see the merits of the Electoral College and why there has been no major attempt to discard it in this country.

Oh, God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis
    Could they postpone the election, I'm having the time of my life. Laughing at septics is my fave thing in the world, now it looks like the lovely cuddly repubs aren't going to win their bat-**** craziness has switched into overdrive, sublime. I've been following on Twitter the entire "hail Obama" thing, and honestly it's comedy gold, more mental than Trump.

One Fox reporter goes on twitter saying it' was chanted, and the foxbots are up in arms, proves Obama is Hitler apparently.

Good job that the POTUS, doesn't have a song Hailing him or owt, that would be terrible.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

New Jersey residents displaced by Hurricane Sandy will be able to vote in the election on Tuesday through e-mail or fax - @nytimes
    Chris Christie, what a guy
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    i really hope those demmycrats aren't forgetting christie is a ****
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Hadn't realised how bad it was until I read about it earlier- Wyoming gets one electoral college vote per 180,000 population, California gets one per 680,000 population.

They're awfully undemocratic for a nation with a hard-on for invading countries in the name of democracy.
    The Aussie system gets my vote

This article summed up the US system perfectly for me. Love Annabel Crabb

In Leon county, Florida, I got to play with an antique voting machine weighing one tonne, which was manufactured sometime just after VE Day and boasted a privacy curtain and a series of levers to register voter preference. It looked like a mediaeval Tardis, or some kind of industrial-era chastity device.
    All very funny, until Leon county's supervisor of elections informed me that this very machine was still in use four years ago in New York.
    Last edited by Jono; 04-11-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    I personally am not in favor of the electoral college, but itís not as bad an idea as itís being made out to be in this thread. For a nation that was founded on the principal of Stateís rights, the electoral college was the most effective way to ensure that every State had a voice. In a popular election format, the election can obviously be dominated by the States with the biggest populations. In that format, no one would give a **** about New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Montana etc. In the Electoral College format, the candidates are almost forced to wage a campaign on a state-by-state level in the smaller states and in theory listen to the voices of citizens all over the country.

Also, the founding fathers never intended the country to be a pure democracy; instead they formed a republic. Again, I favor the popular vote format myself, but I do see the merits of the Electoral College and why there has been no major attempt to discard it in this country.
    I can understand the rationale for the electoral college, but of Romney wins the popular vote but loses, there'll be mass unhinging. Will be hilarious.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post

Yea, it's more a theoretical problem than a real one. It's only happened twice and in both cases, the national vote was very close. If it ever happens that the guy who becomes the President loses the national vote by 10 points (which could theoretically happen), then I think it would be a huge concern.

In any case, I think Wyoming getting the same representation in the Senate as California is a bigger deal. That's constant inequality and it manifests itself in a lot of ways (which IMO are negative), especially when it comes to which state gets what in terms of funding, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Map of the US where each state's size is proportional to campaign spending there

And yes it includes all 50 states. It's just that if you live in the other 38, no ****s have been given about your vote at all.
    Oh, it's not a positive to live in those states..... You don't really 'get' anything out of it as a voter, except constant ads on TV, calls to your home, and people knocking on your door every other day for about six months prior to every election.

Haha yeah some of the stories I've read from Ohio residents sound painful.
    Last edited by Jono; 04-11-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Haha yeah some of the stories I've read from Ohio residents sound painful.
    I'm in pa and its nowhere even remotely as bad as Ohio and it sucks.

Yeah but you deserve it you prick.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I'm in pa and its nowhere even remotely as bad as Ohio and it sucks.

sorry, i just had to use that pic

Thread Information