Page 129 of 231 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139179229 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 3463
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Romney did impress me somewhat.

He talked in circles a lot and went back to a handful of key points, but his oration was good. Obama was very safe in his approach.

I still reckon the Obamacare policy is gun, given the state of the US healthcare system.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Election debates, easily the least interesting part of an election cycle in any country for mine. Not a fan of how influential they seem to be.

On Romney; it's easy to stay on-message when your message is as vague and simplistic as his is. He's had the luxury of not having to deal with real person problems for the past 4 years. Come election day I hope people see that.

EDIT: http://www.salon.com/2012/10/04/does..._hate_his_job/
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 04-10-2012 at 04:58 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I read a post-debate poll saying things hadn't really moved as a result of the respective performances.

I imagine the tactic of not going hard after Romney is because whilst the base may love it, the swinging voters likely don't.

Still, he should have some one liners ready on Romney's policy positions for the second debate. One thing I found interesting, though hardly entertaining, was both of them were happy to talk in depth about things, using facts and figures in abundance. I don't think that would happen here - they'd be focus grouped to death on just sticking to lack of detail. Interesting.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

The debate was stupid when they just went at each other on their tax policies and whether Romney could actually substantially cut enough deductions and loopholes. It became a matter of "well if Romney is telling the truth then yeah that's fine, but is he?" for like 20 minutes. The public is no better or worse-off with Romney saying "I can do this, it works", and Obama replying "no you actually can't, that will not work, it will result in this", and then Romney saying "Nah it will not result in that, I can do this. Trust me"

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I read a post-debate poll saying things hadn't really moved as a result of the respective performances.

I imagine the tactic of not going hard after Romney is because whilst the base may love it, the swinging voters likely don't.

Still, he should have some one liners ready on Romney's policy positions for the second debate. One thing I found interesting, though hardly entertaining, was both of them were happy to talk in depth about things, using facts and figures in abundance. I don't think that would happen here - they'd be focus grouped to death on just sticking to lack of detail. Interesting.
    He wasn't called out on basic, basic stuff: like him saying he supports the ban on insurance companies people with pre-existing conditions and yet him opposing the individual mandate...the two positions don't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Oh, please. Then don't run. There are Presidents who've chosen not to re-run. Or the explanation could be that he just sucked and had terrible advice on the strategy to take.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    This wins the internet for the afternoon. Candidate hair swap.

Watched the debate between Stewart and O'reilly. Pretty good. Interestingly both made factual errors (Stewart for example mixed up the deficit and the debt and said the debt was eliminated by the end of Clinton's term, instead of the deficit).

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Link for anyone that missed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Watched the debate between Stewart and O'reilly. Pretty good. Interestingly both made factual errors (Stewart for example mixed up the deficit and the debt and said the debt was eliminated by the end of Clinton's term, instead of the deficit).
    Yeah that was weird - and a little unexpected.

O'Reilly actually makes some reasonable points that are at a minimum worth thinking about. Kinda surprised.
    Last edited by Spark; 07-10-2012 at 04:47 AM.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Jon Stewart

The lift thing was hilarious.

"We are allowed to bring notes?" *Runs off stage*

Election debates, easily the least interesting part of an election cycle in any country for mine. Not a fan of how influential they seem to be.

On Romney; it's easy to stay on-message when your message is as vague and simplistic as his is. He's had the luxury of not having to deal with real person problems for the past 4 years. Come election day I hope people see that.

EDIT: Does Obama just hate his job? - Salon.com
    Yeah we had our first one last election, and it made Nick Clegg a political force, FFS, so I can safely say not a fan.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Obama now only leading by 1.4 points nationally. Worrisome, even though he's still winning a majority of battleground states. Still, no polls have been released since the massive jobs report, so that should bump him back to where he was.

Must say I'm looking forward to the Biden-Ryan debate, is shaping up to be much more entertaining.
    Last edited by LongHopCassidy; 07-10-2012 at 07:14 AM.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Come election day I hope people see that.
    the general public is pretty stupid...and i liked what bill maher said a couple of shows ago, if there are voters undecided at this point, it is because they are too dumb to understand what is going on...and dumb voters usually vote republican...
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Sorta disagree with that. No matter your intellect, you're obviously well aware of what's happening to you personally and a lot of people will be looking for things the candidates say which have a chance to change their personal circumstances. Putting all of the bull****/esoteric political debates aside (which only wonks and pundits are really interested in anyway), if Obama can't get across to the population at large how what he's doing will help them on an individual level, that's a failure to communicate.

That's what made Clinton's speech so brilliant; he made clear what Obama hasn't been able to. The lines about things being on the up but it taking a while to feel it were perfect. Having normal people able to understand what he was talking about would have been a pointless exercise without making it relevant to them on a personal level. I get the feeling that many will decide to put their faith in Obama because they're really putting their faith in Clinton's endorsement of him.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 07-10-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Thread Information