Page 121 of 229 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171221 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 3431
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I'll be interested to see how this plays in the States, because if an aspirant to PM here made that comment, they'd simply have to hand in their ticket. There is no way they could reasonably survive a week or two, effectively saying "I don't give a **** about half the country, but please vote for me."

It wouldn't even be a straw that broke the camel's back thing here. If you were a mile n front in the polls and spoke like that, you'd be completed ****ed. It would be game over.
    I think the difference is compulsory voting and smaller proportion of swing voters; here pollies are speaking to a population who have to vote whereas Romney's just saying what we all know he thinks so supporters be supportin', h8rs be h8in'.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 18-09-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I feel embarrassed that I didn't know that Australia has compulsory voting. What do you guys think about that? Do you feel that people, since they have to (I assume under penalty of a fine or something), they'll just walk in and pull a random lever instead of thinking about it? (Not necessarily any better than what a lot of people do even in voluntary voting countries, but still).
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    ^^Quite possibly. I think this comment would go down as the equivalent of a "Don't you now who I am?" comment here, which is basically an invitation to Australians to hate you. I wonder if the sentiment is the same in the US with that kind of thing,
    Last edited by Burgey; 18-09-2012 at 06:43 PM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I feel embarrassed that I didn't know that Australia has compulsory voting. What do you guys think about that? Do you feel that people, since they have to (I assume under penalty of a fine or something), they'll just walk in and pull a random lever instead of thinking about it? (Not necessarily any better than what a lot of people do even in voluntary voting countries, but still).
    I don't have a problem with it. If you don't vote you really lose the right to whinge imo.

I'm more a fan of it than voluntary voting but it's not without its issues. The number of invalid votes in theory sends more of a message to pollies here than people just not turning up in voluntary scenarios, in my view, but there's the idea that some policies here are more about being appealing to the broadest number of people instead of the most effective solution. And preferencing is a whole 'nother issue that's just a quagmire not to mention there's still swathes of rusted-on Labor/Liberal voters.

You don't actually have to vote; you just have to show up to vote and submit a ballot paper. People who really have no idea and don't want to vote just don't fill the thing out.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Yep. You can draw a great big penis on your ballot paper if you want.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Plus the fact that you don't have to spend millions on trying to get people to bother to vote.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Yep. You can draw a great big penis on your ballot paper if you want.
    Would be misconstrued as a vote for Milliband over here
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    I'm more a fan of it than voluntary voting but it's not without its issues. The number of invalid votes in theory sends more of a message to pollies here than people just not turning up in voluntary scenarios, in my view, but there's the idea that some policies here are more about being appealing to the broadest number of people instead of the most effective solution. And preferencing is a whole 'nother issue that's just a quagmire not to mention there's still swathes of rusted-on Labor/Liberal voters.
    As opposed to most policies being about appealing to the broadest number of people that are likely to vote, really. Can't think of any political system that churns out the most effective solution very often.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Would be misconstrued as a vote for Milliband over here

He really gets on my nerves. Talks like a cartoon character.

Full Transcript of the Mitt Romney Secret Video | Mother Jones

Mother Jones getting some serious mileage out of the story they broke. Good stuff.

I'll be posting Jon Stewarts opening monologue from tonight as soon as it's available online. GREATEST. RANT. EVER.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    From tonight or yesterday? Yesterday's (about 47% and Romney's dad) is already up.

Thread Information