Page 114 of 231 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164214 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 3463
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

State of the race: Advantage, Obama

Politico's analysis of the race as of right now gives the advantage to Obama. An interesting blurb from the article:

The Romney campaign, while pleasantly surprised by Obama’s lackluster prime-time performance, said the post-convention bounce they hoped for fell well short of expectations and privately lament that state-by-state polling numbers — most glaringly in Ohio — are working in the president’s favor.

“Their map has many more routes to victory,” said a top Republican official. Two officials intimately involved in the GOP campaign said Ohio leans clearly in Obama’s favor now, with a high single-digit edge, based on their internal tracking numbers of conservative groups. Romney can still win the presidency if he loses Ohio, but it’s extremely difficult.

obama will lose this election...between the 100s of millions thrown into the ring by their sugar daddies and their proven expertise at running smear campaigns, i don't see obama as having much of a chance...everyone says no one gave obama a chance in 2008 and he won but at the time, but a lot of people including me underestimated how much of a negative effect bush would have on the republican campaign...this time they aren't letting bush and other walking disasters like palin with a 100 miles of the campaign and it will work for them come november...
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    State of the race: Advantage, Obama

Politico's analysis of the race as of right now gives the advantage to Obama. An interesting blurb from the article:

The Romney campaign, while pleasantly surprised by Obama’s lackluster prime-time performance, said the post-convention bounce they hoped for fell well short of expectations and privately lament that state-by-state polling numbers — most glaringly in Ohio — are working in the president’s favor.

“Their map has many more routes to victory,” said a top Republican official. Two officials intimately involved in the GOP campaign said Ohio leans clearly in Obama’s favor now, with a high single-digit edge, based on their internal tracking numbers of conservative groups. Romney can still win the presidency if he loses Ohio, but it’s extremely difficult.
    Someone will have to remind me of the numbers, but all the blue states + PA (which is basically a blue state) + OH and that's basically the ball game, isn't it? If it isn't, it's close to.

Apparently his post-convention bounce has been higher than expected, even with the ****ty jobs numbers.
    Last edited by Spark; 08-09-2012 at 10:41 PM.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Someone will have to remind me of the numbers, but all the blue states + PA (which is basically a blue state) + OH and that's basically the ball game, isn't it? If it isn't, it's close to.

Apparently his post-convention bounce has been higher than expected, even with the ****ty jobs numbers.
    Romney MUST win Florida, Ohio, and Virginia to have a realistic shot at 270 electoral votes. Why? Because if Obama were to win any of those states, his path to victory becomes significantly easier. Consider the scenario below posted on this website:

If Obama wins Florida, he can lose the following states that he won in 2008 and still be elected with 271 electoral votes (one more than is needed to become president):

New Hampshire
    Pennsylvania
    Ohio
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Virginia
    North Carolina

Alternatively, if Obama were to win Florida and hold Pennsylvania, he could win with 271 votes while losing the following states that he won in 2008:

New Hampshire
    Ohio
    Indiana
    Iowa
    New Mexico
    Colorado
    Nevada

Even if Obama were to lose Florida, but got Ohio and Virginia, he can still get to 270 by winning Colorado, Wisconsin, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, New Mexico and Iowa. All of those are States that he's expected to win. I can come up with similar scenarios for Obama winning one of either Ohio and Virginia (and losing the the other 2) and demonstrate how easy his path to victory becomes.

Hence, Romney must win all three of Florida, Ohio, and Virginia. Can anyone tell me that's a slam dunk for Romney? Obama's path to victory is easier than Romney's. I'm not overconfident and I still think this election's is anyone's to take. However, I simply don't get the "Obama has no chance" rhetoric.
    Last edited by Fusion; 09-09-2012 at 12:21 AM.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Even if Obama were to lose Florida, but got Ohio and Virginia, he can still get to 270 by winning Colorado, Wisconsin, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, New Mexico and Iowa. All of those are States that he's expected to win.
    North Carolina? He isn't winning that again.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    RealClearPolitics - 2012 Election Maps - Electoral Map

depending on just how you view the decision by Romney/pro-romney pacs etc to go on a big ad spree but not run ads in WI and MI, Obama could be up to 247. Romney basically has to sweep all the remaining states that offer more than 6.

I mean, a lot can still change. But it's really really really Obama's election to loss. Romney Super Pacs can't change the map

Oh and attempts to cancel early voting in Ohio seem to be now over.
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

i mean romney's already sorta going nuts: "I will not take God off our coins"

Romney MUST win Florida, Ohio, and Virginia to have a realistic shot at 270 electoral votes. Why? Because if Obama were to win any of those states, his path to victory becomes significantly easier. Consider the scenario below posted on this website:

If Obama wins Florida, he can lose the following states that he won in 2008 and still be elected with 271 electoral votes (one more than is needed to become president):

New Hampshire
    Pennsylvania
    Ohio
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Virginia
    North Carolina

Alternatively, if Obama were to win Florida and hold Pennsylvania, he could win with 271 votes while losing the following states that he won in 2008:

New Hampshire
    Ohio
    Indiana
    Iowa
    New Mexico
    Colorado
    Nevada

Even if Obama were to lose Florida, but got Ohio and Virginia, he can still get to 270 by winning Colorado, Wisconsin, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, New Mexico and Iowa. All of those are States that he's expected to win. I can come up with similar scenarios for Obama winning one of either Ohio and Virginia (and losing the the other 2) and demonstrate how easy his path to victory becomes.

Hence, Romney must win all three of Florida, Ohio, and Virginia. Can anyone tell me that's a slam dunk for Romney? Obama's path to victory is easier than Romney's. I'm not overconfident and I still think this election's is anyone's to take. However, I simply don't get the "Obama has no chance" rhetoric.
    Yeah precisely. Been saying it for ages - the electoral map is stacked in Obama's favour. He had a headstart before the race even began.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    North Carolina? He isn't winning that again.
    North Carolina was all tied up going into the DNC

But OK, let's say he's not "expected" to win there as I said. Even if he loses that, but wins any one of Florida, Ohio, or Virginia, he's still got a clear path to victory. That's my whole point - that his path is easier than Romney's.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    That makes 255 according to this map.

2012 Presidential Election Interactive Map and History of the Electoral College

I suppose you could call Wisconsin blue too, in which case Obama just needs one more state to tie.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Simon Champion!
    Do the electoral college votes of each state change each election or are they constant?

I don't get why they have this system in USA where the second place votes in states don't count. Is there supposed to be some sort of advantage to this system over counting actual votes?

IIRC it has to do with historical reasons, and making sure each state gets its voice heard properly. They take the whole federalism thing pretty seriously.

i mean, it's a system created in 1788 or whatever

Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney, who promised early in his campaign to repeal President Barack Obama's health care overhaul, says he would keep several important parts of the overhaul.
    this [bot]...

**** Jon Stewart should play Tony Stark in some sort of animated series. Brilliant timing and delivery.

Thread Information