Page 102 of 231 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 3464
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

  1. #1516
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Well, it's ironic. Since I've seen you disagree with what I say yet my statements are basically in line with the above candidates.
    Haha I'm sure I disagree with what you say less than anyone else who posts in political threads on CW. Absolutely positive.

    I just take more umbrage to what you say when I do disagree because I feel the extremity and staunch ideology of your positions makes me look like.. well, a loon, for belonging to the same broad philosophical political group as you.

    FTR I got:

    Paul - 88%
    Johnson - 83%
    Romney - 68%
    Goode - 54%
    Alexander - 44%
    Stein - 37%
    Obama - 34%
    McMillan - 21%
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

  2. #1517
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Haha I'm sure I disagree with what you say less than anyone else who posts in political threads on CW. Absolutely positive.

    I just take more umbrage to what you say when I do disagree because I feel the extremity and staunch ideology of your positions makes me look like.. well, a loon, for belonging to the same broad philosophical political group as you.

    FTR I got:

    Paul - 88%
    Johnson - 83%
    Romney - 68%
    Goode - 54%
    Alexander - 44%
    Stein - 37%
    Obama - 34%
    McMillan - 21%
    Did it again, this time actually utilising the sliding importance feature, and got:

    Paul - 94
    Johnson - 91
    Romney - 68
    Goode - 68
    Alexander - 37
    McMillan - 27
    Stein - 17
    Obama - 16

  3. #1518
    Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,883


    A bit surprised but it was due to similar economic, immigration and environmental issues.
    Last edited by Agent Nationaux; 21-08-2012 at 11:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

  4. #1519
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I just take more umbrage to what you say when I do disagree because I feel the extremity and staunch ideology of your positions makes me look like.. well, a loon, for belonging to the same broad philosophical political group as you.
    Here's the thing; I don't see my position as extreme for my basic philosophy is letting people decide what they want, as long as they're doing it consensually and no fraud is being perpetrated against them or to others. It's why I have absolutely no problem espousing my opinion, even on a site like this whose members are clearly more leaning to the left. Why you seek to distance yourself from that is beyond me, and, TBF, it makes me question the ideology you say you agree with and whether we are alike.
    ★★★★★


  5. #1520
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Here's the thing; I don't see my position as extreme for my basic philosophy is letting people decide what they want, as long as they're doing it consensually and no fraud is being perpetrated against them or to others. It's why I have absolutely no problem espousing my opinion, even on a site like this whose members are clearly more leaning to the left. Why you seek to distance yourself from that is beyond me, and, TBF, it makes me question the ideology you say you agree with and whether we are alike.
    I don't think we are that alike though really; I just think I'm more like you in my political beliefs than anyone else you'll find here, out of those who post anyway. There's a difference.

  6. #1521
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,725
    Ahh, ok.

  7. #1522
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    33,091
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

    With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

  8. #1523
    Hall of Fame Member _Ed_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Auckland, Aotearoa
    Posts
    19,905
    Wow.

  9. #1524
    Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,883
    What a slime ball.

  10. #1525
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    33,091
    Rumours are members of his staff were screaming 'abort! abort!' following the inclusion of the fetus in the first edition

  11. #1526
    International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    away from the palms
    Posts
    6,400
    What a monster, he deprived that "your" of what could've been a full and happy life. You don't delete it just because it doesn't seem to fit in.
    Exit pursuing a beer

  12. #1527
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Did it again, this time actually utilising the sliding importance feature, and got:

    Paul - 94
    Johnson - 91
    Romney - 68
    Goode - 68
    Alexander - 37
    McMillan - 27
    Stein - 17
    Obama - 16
    Jesus Christ man.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  13. #1528
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,263
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/21/op...m-the-gop.html

    Republicans are frantically trying to get Representative Todd Akin to drop out of the United States Senate race in Missouri after his remark about abortion and rape, but not because it was offensive and ignorant. They’re afraid he might lose and cost them a chance at a Senate majority next year.

    So true. Akin may have said something absolutely ********, but he's far from alone in the modern form of the G.O.P.

  14. #1529
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,635
    Nate Silver of 538 said it best - anyone of poor enough political judgment to say something like that on a television interview has poor enough judgment to stay in the race.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    get ready for a broken ****in' arm

  15. #1530
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Ahh, ok.
    I didn't really want to get into this here - in a way it'd be like Shane Warne joining the forum and deciding to pick a fight with CWB about whether Ian Bell is in fact Class B rubbish or Class C rubbish and exactly whether he should be dropped because of Reason X or Reason Y, while everyone else looked on in horror - but it's probably a bit unfair for me to keep jokingly treating you like poison without actually explaining my position. I don't really intend to have an argument about it though so if you do reply, I probably won't reply back to much if any of your post.

    Ideologically I do think we have pretty similar positions; for example I imagine you'd be a little south and a west of my (+9.5, -7) political compass result but without too much deviation from it especially compared to the rest of the forum, and even in this test we got very similar results based on the ideological questions it contains. I'm a very firm believer in the free market and feel that any failure in it to deliver a fair and just outcome economically would be principally derived from social difficulties and inequities rather than intrinsically faulty economics within itself. Furthermore, I don't believe victimless crime should exist; everyone should be able to live by their own moral code as long as it doesn't trample on the rights of others, and as such moral policing should be kept to an absolute minimum. For me this does extend to a few things that the authoritarian, largely bible-bashing, nanny-state enforcing sector of the Republican party would find abhorrent, like the legalisation of many banned substances and prostitution.

    Where we differ is that I don't actually much like ideology; not as a cover-all practical fall-back stance anyway. Ideologically I am, yes, a libertarian, just like you, and any political alignment test I do is going to ask ideological questions and back that up entirely. I do agree with Paul and Johnson a lot more than the other candidates and hell, I'd be lying if I didn't say I agreed with you politically more than any other member as well. However I find the notion that any one ideology can be used as an automatic position for any problem the world throws us to be lazy, naive, shortsighted and often, in my case anyway, somewhat embarrassing to those who belong to that ideological group. Whether you're a libertarian, a socialist or whatever else, reaching to an ideological fall-back as an answer to any problem vastly under-estimates the complexity of the world and the need for case-by-case analysis. Instead of letting one's ideology drive one's opinions automatically, one should form opinions individually and honestly, and let those opinions form his own ideology. Governance is just as much about finding what works as finding what's fair, and I think that's where a lot of us get lost a bit.

    I don't want to bring back many of the same debates but I feel I should actually give some examples of what I'm talking about, so I'll point out that when you suggested the FDA should be disbanded completely and that we should let the free market determine which restaurants are safe to eat at, then I thought that was an absolutely absurd application of ideology put forward merely to make the ideology itself seem bullet-proof. I actually do agree that it would work, particularly in the information age in which we live; word of mouth would eventually would rank each establishment fairly accurately and the free market would then incentivise improvement and competitive, so those restaurants with absolutely disgraceful h&s standards would eventually close down. However I don't think anyone really thinks it's acceptable to wait for 200 people to get food poisoning and 20 of those to die before a place is actually closed down. It'd be an example of the free market working but at a human cost far too high for anyone with an ounce of humanity who wasn't trying to apply an ideology to a situation it wasn't capable of truly handling. And that's before we even examine the possibility of some health standards costing more to uphold than any resulting poor reputation would actually cost. It doesn't mean you should throw the baby out with the bathwater but it does show things need a more case by case approach with all the variables examined.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 22-08-2012 at 01:51 AM.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The British Politics Thread
    By cover drive man in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4126
    Last Post: 24-10-2014, 03:50 PM
  2. Media
    By SirBloody Idiot in forum Cricket Web Tennis
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 06:10 AM
  3. FAQ & Introduction Thread
    By Samuel_Vimes in forum Cricket Web Tennis
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 20-06-2011, 11:06 AM
  4. Finally ! A Last Word Thread
    By SJS in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-01-2010, 07:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •