Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaving school

International Regular

Leaving school

Did anyone here leave school early? Why? What are you doing now?

Thinking about doing it myself, but I'd have to get myself into a TAFE course and get an apprenticeship. But I still wanna do year 11 and 12 for the sake of it.

Decisions, decisions.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    I'd strongly recommend finishing the last two years, personally. Even if you're keen on becoming an apprentice, at least if it doesn't work out you've got something else to fall back on. I know a number of people that left school, and pretty much only one of them is actually doing something with his life atm, the rest of them just laze about doing nothing and working the odd shift at the cinema/Maccas.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Yeah, I think it's a lot rarer these days for someone to leave school earlier. When I was in year 10 it was a lot more common for someone to head off and do an apprenticeship. Having said that, there is a shortage of skilled labourers apparently.

I'd say if you've got a definitive plan for what you want to do and it involves an apprenticeship then you might be better getting in and doing it. If it's just an idea though and you're not sure it'd be better to finish year 12 so you give yourself more options. You can still do the apprenticeship when you finish school.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

From a career pov there isn't much point in finishing school if you don't want to go to university imo. You're better off doing an apprentiship or getting some work experience for the extra 2 years. That said there's obviously alot of point in getting a university degree.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Do you really need the money right now? Even if you're sure you want to do a trade, you can't predict what the state of that profession will be 10, 20, 30 years down the road. Having an education now will give you a significant advantage if you ever need to change careers, and it'll help you out in other, less concrete, ways as well. I don't know your specific situation, but unless you absolutely need the money now for family reasons, I would finish school.

Even if you must leave right now, I'd suggest doing a night course or something like that so you can get your high school diploma (I'm sure there is something equivalent to that in Australia) while working. You can make a very good living in a trade, but I don't think you'll look back twenty years down the road and say the last two years of high school were a waste.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 28-04-2010 at 07:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Jake, don't listen to all of these naysayers. If everyone finished year 12 we'd have no one to work in our cinemas and McDonalds (tm) family restaurants.
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    I'd say if you've got a definitive plan for what you want to do and it involves an apprenticeship then you might be better getting in and doing it. If it's just an idea though and you're not sure it'd be better to finish year 12 so you give yourself more options. You can still do the apprenticeship when you finish school.
    Yep, this. If you're sure what you want to do and finishing Year 12 isn't going to make it any easier or more enjoyable for you, then you might as well leave now. Otherwise I'd stay, just to give myself more options.
    ~ Cribbage

Yep it's all about the options. Leave school now you shoot yourself in the foot. Try hard, finish with good marks and you can do (almost) whatever you want.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Even if you must leave right now, I'd suggest doing a night course or something like that so you can get your high school diploma (I'm sure there is something equivalent to that in Australia) while working. You can make a very good living in a trade, but I don't think you'll look back twenty years down the road and say the last two years of high school were a waste.
    It is a bit different in Australia. In New South at least (where Jake is from) there are actually two "high school diplomas". You get one at the end of Year 10 (School Certificate) and one at the end of Year 12 (Higher School Certificate). If you don't complete Year 10 you really will struggle to get any sort of decent job, including an apprenticeship, but the Higher School Certificate is generally just used to gain admittance in university; it's not something employers put a great deal of importance in. In fact, as long as he actually does something as soon as leaves school and puts that on his resume it'll probably look favourable for him as it'll show he has the ambition to work - even if he decides to change careers.

That said, if he wants to go to university to pursue further studies down the line, he is pretty much stuffed, so he should be sure about what line of work he wants to get into if he's going to leave now.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 28-04-2010 at 08:24 PM.

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Not necessarily, it's not too difficult for mature age students (21+) to get into uni. Just have to do a prep course.
    "Under the spreading chestnut tree,
    I sold you and you sold me."

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Highly recommend finishing school.

That said, if you are going to do an apprenticeship it doesn't really matter.

Another thing some people who leave school do is join the ADF (Australian Defence Forces for those outside of Australia). Although they also prefer you to finish school.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master View Post
    Highly recommend finishing school.

That said, if you are going to do an apprenticeship it doesn't really matter.

Another thing some people who leave school do is join the ADF (Australian Defence Forces for those outside of Australia). Although they also prefer you to finish school.
    Going off track now but I've got a mate who is an officer in the army, and from what I hear from him, as long as you've finished year 9 or 10 in most cases (depending on what you are going for), then it really only comes down to personality and what you show in an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester1288 View Post
    Did anyone here leave school early? Why? What are you doing now?

Thinking about doing it myself, but I'd have to get myself into a TAFE course and get an apprenticeship. But I still wanna do year 11 and 12 for the sake of it.

Decisions, decisions.
    finish school go to uni (best time in your life) and then think about careers and stuff.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    finish school go to uni (best time in your life) and then think about careers and stuff.
    No point going to university and racking up the fees if you're going to do a trade.

Think you have to stay in school until you're 17 anyway Jake. Might be thinking it weirdly though.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information