Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: A letter

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    I reckon it will have nil effect to be honest, in terms of the number of ciggies sold. The mix of what brands sell will likely change I imagine, and a 'homebrand' style might start doing better. But they're basically not allowed to advertise anywhere, so its just meant to be removing a visual cue of addiction.

That said, so much of the cost of ciggies is taxes and excises, there's little room for a cut-piece 'homebrand' line to make any impact.
    I'm sure many people here have probably read it already, but this article makes a pretty good case for the marketing power of cigarette packets.
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Casson View Post
    If you're not interested in a vague piece of **** major, I'd recommend getting out of Asian Studies then.

The Chinese language courses are top-notch, tbf.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Completely off topic, but have been enjoying your posts about marketing recently, Gelman. Have been really considering taking it on as a major for my commerce degree (doing an Asian studies degree as well), currently a toss up between that or international business since they're the only two that interest me. Marketing winning out atm since it doesn't seem to be as much of a vague piece of **** major as international business.
    Yeah it's good fun and I'd imagine you'd be able to write your own cheques with the Asian connection but it's not necessarily for everyone. I genuinely love it though. Depends on what sort of job you want on the other end as well.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post

The Chinese language courses are top-notch, tbf.
    As were the Japanese and Korean courses I did. But Asian Studies is, on its own, nothing but guff. In your case though, it'll probably be very handy in conjunction with another degree.

Wish I'd done more marketing in my commerce degree. I did management because it was easy, and at the time I found marketing to be depressingly exploitative. But having now lived in the real world, I reckon it would have been a more useful set of studies.
    It feels that way sometimes but it's important to try and be highly ethical. It's a tool that can be used for good or bad and unfortunately some horror stories don't help the industry very much and you get the sort of negative connotations with the word we see all the time these days. Not sure if it's going to get better or worse tbh.

p.s. sorry for derailing your thread cdm.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Heh, the advertising one this page, Lib Dems, Grand Theft Auto & wholesale curry supplies
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Well what about in a country like Australia where everyone has to vote anyway? Does it make or better or worse that people would use marketing tactics as a part of their election strategy?
    I don't think people should be forced to vote and if they are they should at least have some education on what they're voting on.

Do you think anyone who's swayed by a poster's appearance is capable of determining whether a pollie will actually be the best choice for the electorate? Besides, both sides do it. What else do you want to ban? Candidates wearing suits and having respectable haircuts? Candidates not swearing at ignorant proles they're forced to interact with?
    Very misanthropic. But I suppose idealism just isn't realistic. Either way I think it's wrong that votes are won out of basic idiocy.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    It feels that way sometimes but it's important to try and be highly ethical. It's a tool that can be used for good or bad and unfortunately some horror stories don't help the industry very much and you get the sort of negative connotations with the word we see all the time these days. Not sure if it's going to get better or worse tbh.

p.s. sorry for derailing your thread cdm.
    Yeah, a subtext of my post was that I was judging it from a position of relative ignorance. Reckon I would actually really enjoy it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Probably for the best, I don't know whether being a member of "The Bloody Feminists" would have worked out in the long run.
    Maybe you should have tried them on one of the other 27 days.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Some of the political societies at Uni here are filled with some of the worst people I have ever encountered.
    obviously some things at Reading never change

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    As were the Japanese and Korean courses I did. But Asian Studies is, on its own, nothing but guff. In your case though, it'll probably be very handy in conjunction with another degree.
    Incidentally, a BA in Asian Studies (albeit with honours) is the only non-honorary degree Kevin Rudd has.

There's hope for you yet, Cameron.

A Letter

Dear Mark Knopfler,

It has come to my attention that you get your money for nothing and easy, easy chicks for free.

Please furnish me with information on how this was made possible.

Yours in peacetime,

Gerard A.

While I'm not Mr Knopfler, I believe if you get a microwave oven, a custom kitchen and a refrigerator installed, the money should flow.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Watch out though, you might get a blister on your little finger. Or a blister on your thumb.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information