Page 391 of 623 FirstFirst ... 291341381389390391392393401441491 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,865 of 9344
Like Tree211Likes

Thread: Lord Presents..What Made Your Day + What Ruined Your Day IV

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Yea. I think they confuse "keeping away" vs. "informing policy". Considering the technological age we live in, and the amount of money modern countries spend on public health, healthcare, research, etc it'd be pretty mad to say that you shouldnt use proven data to make policy decisions (eg the nonsense vaccine controversy). Obviously, politics shouldn't affect the process of science (which thankfully now is a global process, making manipulation by any one or few governments not very effective - but of course people are people and nothing will be perfect).

I don't know how science can affect politics even if it wanted to, unless he means scientist shouldnt rebuke a politician when they lie about a piece of research. But that's just your right as a citizen and people have a right not to listen to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    The Political science subject should be ****ed off from schools as well.
    The disturbing trend of adding "science" behind a subject and pretending it has some objective weight .

Actually happens quite a bit, most people arent good at science so you add a scientific sounding name to your product and people will think its got some data behind it.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    The politicisation of Science, isn't just in mainstream politics, it's also prevalent in Business. Pharmaceutical companies, Tobacco companies, etc all use scientific studies conducted by their own people to promote their business and lobby the government.

Also any voting process involved in science, makes it political.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

What voting process?

I have my own thoughts re: pharma science and such, which I'll probably write at length about and put people to sleep at a later date.

Any voting process, relating to scientific study.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Any voting process, relating to scientific study.
    When does that happen though?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    When does that happen though?
    It's happening in South Africa now.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Take R&D budgets for example. If there is a vote to decide on which scientific projects the budget should be used for, the process becomes political.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Take R&D budgets for example. If there is a vote to decide on which scientific projects the budget should be used for, the process becomes political.
    I see what you mean. Well, it depends who does the voting . Usually the process is pretty straightforward - if you have a good track record, you have a good chance for funding, if you don't, you won't.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I see what you mean. Well, it depends who does the voting . Usually the process is pretty straightforward - if you have a good track record, you have a good chance for funding, if you don't, you won't.
    Generally, the decision makers are relatively well intentioned, though at some $ level politics always plays a part, even if it's only "internal"

Federal politics is definitely an issue if the cost rises to a separate line item in the budget, eg, DOE couldn't very well hide the SSC in the background noise of the Energy and Water Development bill back in the early 90's

Quote Originally Posted by Quaggas View Post
    Generally, the decision makers are relatively well intentioned, though at some $ level politics always plays a part, even if it's only "internal"

Federal politics is definitely an issue if the cost rises to a separate line item in the budget, eg, DOE couldn't very well hide the SSC in the background noise of the Energy and Water Development bill back in the early 90's
    Well of course, but if we want society to pay for science, they obviously the taxpayer should have a say in a macro sense (e.g total budget or a national priority might favor HIV research vs. Alzheimers, or vice versa).

Individual projects, however, should be left up to people who can better evaluate the proposal. From my perspective, considering the level of scientific knowledge politicans display, it should be very macro. But obviously, at the end of the line at whichever level you want, you have to have civilian control over any institution funded by taxpayers.

Made

Finally got some work experience sorted, working in a college. Should be pretty handy.

Ruined

Took my mum working at the same place to swing it for me. Doesn't bode well for later years.
    'It seems that perfection is attained, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away.'

Good luck with the bratz.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Made

Finally got some work experience sorted, working in a college. Should be pretty handy.

Ruined

Took my mum working at the same place to swing it for me. Doesn't bode well for later years.
    Haha, a load of my work experience was acquired by similar means. When I'm quizzed about this in interviews I just lie about it.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Made

Damn You Auto Correct Reveals 9 Funniest Texts of the Year

Not sure how many are fair dinkum, but a few chuckles.

Thread Information