Page 124 of 612 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174224 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 9169
Like Tree167Likes

Thread: Lord Presents..What Made Your Day + What Ruined Your Day IV

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Made

For non New Zealanders Witi Ihimaera is a famous author I have been reading since I was 10 years old. I was amazed when I was living in Canada that an English major there told me she had studied him so he is known internationally. I had the good fortune to see an advertisement in the paper to see him live - so I went along tonight and heard him read some his work and answer questions. One of the best experiences of my life. He has a new movie that he showed us a preview of that will be coming out as a made for TV movie. And he has another movie following that one based on his book Bulibasha.

He was involved with some controversy this year when he "borrowed" some words from other authors for his latest book. They are going to put out a second edition with the appropriate credits.

His first book I read was Pounamu Pounamu

Pounamu Pounamu is classic Ihimaera. First published om 1972, it was immediately endorsed by Maori and Pakeha alike for its original stories that showed how important Maori identity is for all New Zealanders. As Katherine Mansfield did in her first collection In a German Pension (1911), and Janet Frame in The Lagoon (1951), Witi Ihimaera explores in Pounamu Pounamu what it is like to be a New Zealander - but from a Maori perspective. The seeds of Ihimaera's later works are first introduced in this ground-breaking collection: The Whale Rider in his story 'The Whale', The Rope of Man in 'Tangi', and the character of Simeon form Bulibasha, King of the Gypsies in 'One Summer Morning'; and the themes of aroha (love), whanaungatanga (kinship) and manaakitanga (supporting each other), which are so intergral to Ihimaera's work.
    Anyways that is what made my day. Oh he wrote Whale Rider too.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Casson View Post
    Made:
    - Saw the BIGGEST baps EVER when I was out shopping. Truly enormous. They were like hypno-boobs moving on their own jagged orbit.
    - Saw an elderly tranny dude waiting for a tram. Didn't even look like he was trying to fool anyone.

Ahh, I love this age we live in.
    Those two things where not related to each other in any way?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Those two things where not related to each other in any way?
    I knew there'd be one. No.
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Made
    Got confirmation from UCAS that I've got into York to study PPE.
    Congrats mate
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Made:

This: "It's like twitter. Except we charge people to use it." (warning: there are swear words)

Looks like a very funny website. The guy's a bit of a legend it seems.

EDIT: This one's pretty funny too.

I'll spend the money on drugs instead

Edited Edit: have to add this one too

Twenty five minutes on Chatroulette.com is like a drill to the head.
    Missy the cat is gold imo
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Made
    Got confirmation from UCAS that I've got into York to study PPE.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Made:
    Hearing Rod Blagojevich is going to be on The Daily Show next week. Jon's going to rip him to shreds.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Made:

Watching the Youth Olympics and seeing a good sort playing badminton for Great Britain.

Pix???:

Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Made:

Watching the Youth Olympics and seeing a good sort playing badminton for Great Britain[/IMG]
    I thought I was the only one watching those... Nice to see people enjoying them.

Made my Day: Posting a status about supporting the proposed Muslim community center in Manhattan and having it be received fairly well with 3 likes, and then having a friend tell me she read her mind as her status a minute before said she hated stupidity.

Ruined my Day: She then copy and pasted my status, put it in quotes, and said "courtesy of me", tagging my name in. She got 20 replies and ten likes, many of whom I'm friends with too... We have the same number of friends overall as well...

^^^ A good candidate for my life is average... I know Facebook is totally not a thing to get wound up over, and I'm not, trust me, but this is about as exciting as things get when you're a computer junkie like me who can't find a blomming job. I thought it was quite funny though. She stole my thunder!

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Mate, just saw this - all the best for her speedy recovery and no further troubles. Nothing worse than your kids being sick and you not being able to get to them.
    Thanks Matt. She seems a lot, lot better now, comes off the meds today. A few more days and any further relapses of this nature become almost impossible according to the docs.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudsy2061 View Post
    I thought I was the only one watching those... Nice to see people enjoying them.

Made my Day: Posting a status about supporting the proposed Muslim community center in Manhattan and having it be received fairly well with 3 likes, and then having a friend tell me she read her mind as her status a minute before said she hated stupidity.

Ruined my Day: She then copy and pasted my status, put it in quotes, and said "courtesy of me", tagging my name in. She got 20 replies and ten likes, many of whom I'm friends with too... We have the same number of friends overall as well...

^^^ A good candidate for my life is average... I know Facebook is totally not a thing to get wound up over, and I'm not, trust me, but this is about as exciting as things get when you're a computer junkie like me who can't find a blomming job. I thought it was quite funny though. She stole my thunder!
    Making fun of your life would be inappropriate as a mod, and also probably make me look old by exposing that I don't really understand what you're talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Made

Aussie. Best CC poster ever. Love how all his posts are crisp, compact, non-offensive, crisp, diplomatic, sensible, crisp and non-flame war inducing. Also love how optimistically he values great cricketers without going down to the level of nit-picking statistics from one series to talk down their achievements. WAG.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Made

Aussie. Best CC poster ever. Love how all his posts are crisp, compact, non-offensive, crisp, diplomatic, sensible, crisp and non-flame war inducing. Also love how optimistically he values great cricketers without going down to the level of nit-picking statistics from one series to talk down their achievements. WAG.

Sigh... do I really have to say anything here?

Made:
    Beached Az - someone recommended this and just went and found it on Youtube now. Great stuff bro

Thread Information