Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand holiday

State Vice-Captain The Argonaut's Avatar

New Zealand holiday

I will be spending 4 weeks in New Zealand during September. I was wondering if the Kiwi members could give some tips on place that I definitely should go to.

I will be travelling by campervan and will follow this route roughly - Wellington - Picton - Nelson - Westport - glaciers - Queenstown - Milford Sound - Dunedin - Christchurch - Kaikoura - Picton - Wellington - Napier - Taupo - Rotorua - Auckland - Waitomo caves - New Plymouth - Wellington (then home)

Any ideas would be appreciated.

State Vice-Captain Umpire Money's Avatar
    watch out for all the sheep
    You have just read a post from Jason Pike, he is what you wish you were

International Vice-Captain
    Originally posted by Umpire Money
    watch out for all the sheep
    bit hard to. they're everywhere

Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    Wellington - Perhaps at visit to the national meseum called Te Papa
    Picton (Malborough region)- I take it you'll be catching the ferry here. It basically a hole. If your going to stop around here, I suggest heading 15-20 minutes south to Blenheim, to perhaps sample some of the southern Hempispheres finest wine...
    Nelson - I don't know what is so special about Nelson, but apparently its ok...
    Westport - You into coal mining? If your this town, is boring boring boring, like Picton. Perhaps head stay at Greymouth which is an hour of two down the coast. In between this two towns there are these rocks, I forget the towns name, but the rocks are cool and worth a look on your way down the coast...
    glaciers - never been here, but I'm told they're cool. HOwever be careful when walking across ice bridges, they might break and you could fool in and die, like this guy a week or two ago...
    Queenstown - Great town, plenty to do, whether its jet boating, bungy jumping, skiing, swimming in the lake, and or the fly by wire, theres more. this place is a must go.
    Milford Sound - My cousin is a skipper on the ferrys down there. This might sound stupid, I suspect you'll be going on one of these ferry, hope for a rainy day, because of rainy days, the waterfalls go bizerk and I'm told its an awesome sight...
    Dunedin - Pretty ****ty place, NZs 5th largest town, for a young students...
    Christchurch - Place of my birth, otherwise nothing special, although the Par 3 18 hole coarse at QEII is fun...
    Kaikoura - Whale watching, is the only thing going for this place. Its surrounded by mountains, after some morning sun, the sun disapears and its bitterly cold...
    Picton - *meh*, **** hole, waste of time, drive through...
    Wellington - refer to above
    Napier - hmmm, not much going here, some fine wineries...
    Taupo - Not too much going on here, except bungy and some otherwise theres NZs biggest lake, a volcanic crater...
    Rotorua - NZ tourist capital. !.3 million visitors per year. I suggest Sky Line Rides, awesome awesome, includes gondala ride and luge, awesome awesome. Theres the argodome, for a full on sheep experience, plus it has some other cool cool stuff. Theres also the Maori arts and craft centre, which includes some awesome geo thermal action cool cool., theres another place which is even cooler, I forget its name, for a real maori thing, Tamaki Tours are pretty good...
    Auckland - WHAT A TOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This place is the best place ever. It really is. I suggest the the Sky Tower, Piha Beach, too many to list... for the ghetto experience go to Otara, the hole of all holes.
    I suggest traveling 30 minutes north of Auckland and go to Waiwera hotpools. Its all thermal, and stuff, and nice and warm, with some awesome, slides for fun fun fun...
    Waitomo caves - This place is ok. I did the crapa bit where you walk through the caves and see some gloe worms, the worms are cool ... But there is this thing where you go down this drop like a few 100 metres, get lowered by rope, I haven't done it, but they did it on the amazing race, and it looked cool cool cool
    New Plymouth - hole, except for a cool mountain...
    Wellington - see above
    "Matt Damon"

What the hell are wrong with sheep??!?!?!?!

Stupid convicts :P

International Vice-Captain
    Originally posted by nibblet
    What the hell are wrong with sheep??!?!?!?!

Stupid convicts :P
    watch your mouth, and by the way,

go hug a sheep

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Ah, antipodean mutual love and respect.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Tim
    Auckland the best ever? what drugs are you on son?
    its the biggest hole in the South Pacific.

Queenstown is the best tourist spot there is though.

!?????!?!!?!??!!?!?!?

Have you ever been to one the pacific states like Fiji. I've been around Nadi and Suva they are the ****tiest places ever. Auckland is awesome. I think it is you who has had a little to much wacky tabacky

Originally posted by Tim
    Auckland the best ever? what drugs are you on son?
    its the biggest hole in the South Pacific.

Queenstown is the best tourist spot there is though.
    Queenstown is very expensive. Rotorua is NZs biggest tourist destination, its a well known fact...

Tim
    Oh well..but personally you'll find nothing new in Auckland.

Queenstown may be expensive, but if you want to do something original then its the place to go.

Rotorua is cool - my grandparents live there. Travel to Mt Mounganui about an hour away. The Mount itself is 230 odd metres and there is three ways of getting to the top.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricket Web Vice Administrator
    nibblet's massive post has sold New Zealand to me Iam off to book the holiday now :rolleyes:

All those days just driving stright through the towns and visiting all those boring places - Is New Zealand really this bad? when speaking to James and hearing others views they have never been that bad.

State Vice-Captain The Argonaut's Avatar
    We won't be stopping at Picton, only getting off the ferry and driving out. We are stopping at Westport to see the seals at Cape Foulwind (yes it is called that). Another interesting spot will be Oamaru on the south island for the penguins. We are only heading to New Plymouth to look at the mountain and only if we have time at the end. The BAy of Islands will have to wait for another trip.

Thanks to all the comments so far. Are there any places that I haven't mentioned that are worth looking at.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    I just heard that you had a 7.2 quake in NZ yesterday.

Couple of things -

1. I didn't know Rikki had gone there. Was it feedback from the TV coverage of Leicestershire v Surrey?
    2. If it wasn't Rikki's fault, did any of you guys feel it or fall over (or was that falling over bit the beer as usual?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information