Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it right to treat Auschwitz as a Tourist Destination?

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    The former Communist Bloc is inifitely cheaper and more interesting than the rest of Europe though.
    I'm certainly more curious about places that it was pretty much impossible to visit when I was young.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    The former Communist Bloc is inifitely cheaper and more interesting than the rest of Europe though.
    You been to any of these Stalinist styled 'theme parks'?

Would like to visit eastern Europe and Russia at somepoint, might be able to next year once I am done studying have hopefully earnt some money.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    You been to any of these Stalinist styled 'theme parks'?

Would like to visit eastern Europe and Russia at somepoint, might be able to next year once I am done studying have hopefully earnt some money.
    I have not. They've tried to do a number one pretty much all Soviet related things in Riga, bar the Soviet Victory Monument, one statue that looks Russian but I have no idea of its purpose and the standard Eastern Bloc TV Tower.

Definitely recommend it, everything's done in a similar way to the West (there's a cathedral, there's a theatre etc.) but at the same time their take on it is hugely different and interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Will try and make a visit in the next couple of years.

This was the park I was referring to Stalin Park
    Crazy stuff.
    Last edited by Pothas; 26-04-2010 at 12:59 PM.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Touring the former communist states is something I'd like to do as well. CW Road Trip!
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    I think there were more people at Aushwitz than Birkenau when I went. I spent a lot of time at the Auschwitz camp though and got over to Birkenau a little late in the afternoon. Everyone was very respectful. There were a lot of school kids from Israel there when I visited and some of them were pretty upset. Probably the most harrowing part for me was seeing huge pile of shoes leftover from people who were at the camp as well as the suitcases with people's names on them. The basement-level punishment area was horrible too.

Turns out the day after I was there was a memorial march for the survivors of the camps. I was very tempted to go back again as seeing people who had survived those camps would have been quite an experience.
    Wasn't quite what I meant, probably should have given my example...

Auschwitz I, the camp with the famous gate bearing the 'Arbeit Macht Frei' message, horribly, doesn't seem to be that bad when you first get inside. Lots of neat wee brick houses, some greenery and trees - it betrays its history as a Polish army barracks and in a different life might actually have been a pleasant place to stay - walking round you can almost picture it as a holiday camp, which makes it intensely difficult to appreciate the suffering of those who passed through the gates. It's only when you reach Block 11, with its torture cells and concrete execution wall outside, that you start to feel a sense of horror. The piles of shoes and suitcases which are exhibited are intensely harrowing, as is the restored gas chamber and crematorium, but I found that I left Auschwitz I with a sense of "well, that wasn't so bad..."

Auschwitz II Birkenau on the other hand, completely and utterly ****ed with my head. The place is absolutely massive - when you enter along the railway track under the death gate, it seems like literally all you can see is chimneys. The woods where families waited around to die are just a tiny line on the horizon. Those wooden huts that remained standing after the Nazis attempted to destroy the evidence of their crimes before retreating from the advancing Soviets tell the story of the inhumane treatment the prisoners endured if they weren't selected for death immediately upon disembarking. There's an eerie stillness to the site as well, there's no birds or anything, the place seems horribly peaceful.

Even though you get a sense of the horrors that occured there from touring Auschwitz I, it doesn't prepare you for the monument to the horrors of humanity that is Auschwitz II.

That's why I asked the question, to see if anyone else had similar impressions of how the 2 sites differed - a couple of the Australian boys I worked with last year who'd toured Europe said more or less the exact same thing, which I found weird.
    ​63*

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Auschwitz I:

Auschwitz II Birkenau:

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Wasn't quite what I meant, probably should have given my example...

Auschwitz I, the camp with the famous gate bearing the 'Arbeit Macht Frei' message, horribly, doesn't seem to be that bad when you first get inside. Lots of neat wee brick houses, some greenery and trees - it betrays its history as a Polish army barracks and in a different life might actually have been a pleasant place to stay - walking round you can almost picture it as a holiday camp, which makes it intensely difficult to appreciate the suffering of those who passed through the gates. It's only when you reach Block 11, with its torture cells and concrete execution wall outside, that you start to feel a sense of horror. The piles of shoes and suitcases which are exhibited are intensely harrowing, as is the restored gas chamber and crematorium, but I found that I left Auschwitz I with a sense of "well, that wasn't so bad..."

Auschwitz II Birkenau on the other hand, completely and utterly ****ed with my head. The place is absolutely massive - when you enter along the railway track under the death gate, it seems like literally all you can see is chimneys. The woods where families waited around to die are just a tiny line on the horizon. Those wooden huts that remained standing after the Nazis attempted to destroy the evidence of their crimes before retreating from the advancing Soviets tell the story of the inhumane treatment the prisoners endured if they weren't selected for death immediately upon disembarking. There's an eerie stillness to the site as well, there's no birds or anything, the place seems horribly peaceful.

Even though you get a sense of the horrors that occured there from touring Auschwitz I, it doesn't prepare you for the monument to the horrors of humanity that is Auschwitz II.

That's why I asked the question, to see if anyone else had similar impressions of how the 2 sites differed - a couple of the Australian boys I worked with last year who'd toured Europe said more or less the exact same thing, which I found weird.
    Yeah I found Birkenau more harrowing too. It was so quiet when I was there, wandering into the huts that are left felt really eerie as you were alone in the silence. I'll post some pics too when I can.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    What does 'Arbeit Macht Frei' mean?
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    What does 'Arbeit Macht Frei' mean?
    "Work makes you free," according to Wiki.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    I would really like (well, maybe "like" is the wrong word) to go there. I think it would be interesting as well as a good reminder of the evil done by people who were seen as almost gods by their people. But I suppose the real question is about what context we use it as a tourist destination. I wouldn't like to see people make a profit out of it, and I certainly wouldn't want to see people using it as a fun day out. A respectful museum would be fine to me though.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Auschwitz

Birkenau

Schindler's Office

Majdanek Concentration Camp

Wish you'd post spoiler tags next time. Now I won't go.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Wish you'd post spoiler tags next time. Now I won't go.
    Tbf, he didn't tell us what happened in the end.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    Tbf, he didn't tell us what happened in the end.
    Think the last picture pretty much gives it away.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information