Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it right to treat Auschwitz as a Tourist Destination?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Gotta go imo Heef.

Reminds us all that Europe isn't all Rhine, Stein and Wine, tbh.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    I'd like to go - what happened there should never be forgotten

I also want to go to Oradour - that little french town the germans raised to the ground when they were retreating in '45 and which has been left just as they left it

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    I have to say the now scrapped plans to build a Auschwitz-Rollarcoaster-Train-Ride to be transported to the camp was in bad taste, much like this post.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, N Broom, Craig Cachopa, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, I Sodhi, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    I have to say the now scrapped plans to build a Auschwitz-Rollarcoaster-Train-Ride to be transported to the camp was in bad taste, much like this post.
    You've been watching too much Carry on Hitler, to be honest.

Anyway, probably will go as we're going to be in Krakow anyway. Looks like I won't be able to make it to Baku though. Why pay GBP1,000 to get there when you can get a return to Kiev for GBP70?!?
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Has anyone else been to Auschwitz-Birkenau btw?

What did you make of the atmosphere at both camps?
    I've been to Bergen-Belsen which invokes similar feelings. There's lots of grass mounds, each with a figure of roughly how many bodies are inside each. The actual museum, although all in German, is fascinating but the weirdest thing though, is that there's no birdsong at all which definitely makes it quite eerie.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    I'd say go too mate. I've been to Auschwitz and Majdanek concentration camps and neither of them are 'tourist attractions' in the same way the Eiffel Tower or the Trevi Fountain are. The atmosphere is very respectful and you are educated about what went on there.

There is a film room where you can watch a short movie about the camp before either walking around it on your own or taking a guide (if you know a bit about it already I'd probably give the guide a miss - the guide I had seemed intent on whisking us around everything at the speed of light). Birkenau (where the train tracks go through the archway into the camp) is about a kilometre or so away from the main camp so you might want to take a shuttle bus. I tried to walk it and got lost...

I took pictures when I was at both camps too. I think if you do it in a respectful way and nobody's posing like an idiot or taking photos where they've been asked not to then there's no issue.

Would also recommend going to Oskar Schindler's office in Krakow (there's a walking tour you can do yourself around the area of town the Nazis held the Jews that takes you past it). As well as hanging out in the town square, which is beautiful, and making your way down to the river. There are some really great bars and restaurants around the area near the river where the Jewish Synagogue is. Pretty vague directions I know! If I had a map of Krakow handy I could be a little more specific.

And if you're in Vienna on a Sunday get up early and go to a small church in the royal palace and you can get into the service for free and hear the famous boy's choir singing.
    And that tower thing, whatever you call it, you can walk up, although it is a case of watch your head. I guess I have to repeat the statements of others and go, the whole reason I went to Hiroshima was to see the site where the Atomic Bomb was dropped, and where my grandfather (on my mum's side) was at a few days after the bomb dropped. But I would of gone anyway.

I have also been to the War Remnants Museum in Saigon (it was called the Museum of American War Crimes until 1993 so they could get more tourists), and they didn't hold back in showing what happened, with the lead up to the war, the reasons, and during the war, and after the war. There was a touch of bias do it, and a few photos nearly made me sick. But it was well done IMO.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Agree with what people have said. I think it being visited by people to ensure that what happened there is remembered is a very good idea - so long as people respect it and take onboard what they're seeing, it's definitely a good thing to help us avoid repeating history's mistakes. That said, if it's not something that you feel comfortable doing, there's nothing wrong with not going IMO.

With regards to the tomb of the guy you were saying, I'd say that there's nothing wrong with visiting someone's grave, again so long as you do so in a respectful manner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Yeah, go for it, Heath.

However, if you end up in Amsterdam and on the Anne Frank tour, don't go around knocking on the doors shouting "Raus, Raus"....

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Just show the necessary respect and all will be fine I reckon. Here's an example of that from Hitler's Bunker in Berlin:

"What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I'd like to go - what happened there should never be forgotten

I also want to go to Oradour - that little french town the germans raised to the ground when they were retreating in '45 and which has been left just as they left it
    Interesting incident- they burnt it down in response to the death of a German officer, but they actually did it to the wrong town by mistake. There was supposed to be no trace of the town remaining whatsoever- all that's left is rubble. The atmosphere seems almost unspeakably haunting..

I don't think such places could ever really be described as a "tourist attraction".
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    Yeah, go for it, Heath.

However, if you end up in Amsterdam and on the Anne Frank tour, don't go around knocking on the doors shouting "Raus, Raus"....
    Nor go to the Heineken factory beforehand...

Of course you should go!

It's quite impressive. Really a must see if you are near.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Never been there, but I as told it the former Heineken factory was restyled to a decent tourist trap. Anyway, when in A'dam, visit the 3 museums at the Museum Square.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    I would like to get over and tour WWII historical sites at some point.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Talking breweries, I'm going to the Budvar factory in Ceske Budejovice. That was stop number 1 written on the list and the rest of the trip has been planned around it.

My missus has also requested that no more "Communist" trips are put on the itinerary. I feel like CDM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    The former Communist Bloc is inifitely cheaper and more interesting than the rest of Europe though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information