Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Journalists killed in Iraq + Wikileaks

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar

Journalists killed in Iraq + Wikileaks

Leaked war video is real, says unnamed official | News.com.au

A little surprised this hasn't got more press or comment. Greenwald from Salon comments on how common this sort of thing is, not just with Iraqis but journo's in general;

Iraq slaughter not an aberration - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

Pretty horrifying nonetheless.

What's really interesting, though, is that Wikileaks, who first leaked the vid, are (unsurprisingly) considered to be a security risk by US Army Intel;

http://file.wikileaks.org/file/us-intel-wikileaks.pdf

More details here in Greenwald's column and NYT;

The war on WikiLeaks and why it matters - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com
    Army Sees Document Web Site as a Potential Threat - NYTimes.com

So, I put it to you CW.net, is Wikileaks' speech protected or illegal? Should they be shut down and/or blocked as a few governments have tried to do? As far as I'm aware, there's no plans to kill them off in the US but is that a function of free speech or have they just not leaked anything really damaging yet?
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    It's exactly the sort of website that's needed. One can see it being right near the top of Conroy's blacklist for websites, too.

Find it a bit odd that governments are so concerned with shutting it down, when perhaps they should be concerned with a) not violating human rights, etc. in the first place, and b) ensuring the information isn't leaked to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    One can see it being right near the top of Conroy's blacklist for websites, too.
    Pretty sure it is. WAC.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    LOL that the government's reaction to a leaked video showing the slaughter of unarmed civilians is to criticise the site hosting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    It's exactly the sort of website that's needed. One can see it being right near the top of Conroy's blacklist for websites, too.

Find it a bit odd that governments are so concerned with shutting it down, when perhaps they should be concerned with a) not violating human rights, etc. in the first place, and b) ensuring the information isn't leaked to begin with.
    Yes, well, those 'roo attacks must be kept under wraps, lest it hurt tourism.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

If you're going to go to war, these things are going to happen, unfortunately. Not a whole lot you can do about it (aside from not going for unnecessary wars obv.).

Can't wait for the nwo theories to pop up now. Yipppeeeee!

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    If you're going to go to war, these things are going to happen, unfortunately. Not a whole lot you can do about it (aside from not going for unnecessary wars obv.).
    Yeah and there are some interesting parallels with the Balibo 5. The arguments the US are using to defend themselves are almost identical to those the Indo army did.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Could not attempt to destroy a van that turns up to help the wounded.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by James90 View Post
    Haha indeed. What's happening to those involved? Any news on that?

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Dunno supposedly near a battle that was taking place and suspicion of RPGs (long lens cameras!) any 'enemy' activity is probably going to be harshly dealt with. Terrible though, absolutely dreadful.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

If they got a report of possible RPGs, and they waited too long to hit them, and some US soldiers died, you'd have a ****storm too. If you're in the position where you have to make that call, you're have to do it based on the best information you have. It's the fog of war, you're not going to have perfect information. Your statement implies they knew it was a van that was turning up to help the wounded and they fired anyway.

My absolute hatred of war or any killing for that matter will almost certainly lead me to see things from a different perspective to the soldiers in that position. As much as it hurts me to say so, it may not have been completely unreasonable for those particular people to act in the way they did. I just really struggle to see it.

Just listening to their commentary..."looks like about 15 bodies"...just can't find anyway to justify it. Them getting shot down is a better result than that for mine.

Them getting shot down is a better result than that for mine.
    Not if you're the guy in the helicopter/airplane. Or the guys on the ground you're providing cover fire against. I am thinking what I would tell the guy holding the button if I was down there, and someone told me there might be a van full of people with RPGs coming towards me. Would I say, hold off a minute, let me go run out, double verify to make sure it's a bullet headed for my face and not something else? Some people might, but most wouldn't, and I certainly wouldn't. At that point, you're just going to be like 'waste those mother****ers' and keep them the hell away from me. That's just human nature, and part of war.

My absolute hatred of war or any killing for that matter will almost certainly lead me to see things from a different perspective to the soldiers in that position. As much as it hurts me to say so, it may not have been completely unreasonable for those particular people to act in the way they did. I just really struggle to see it.
    You might were you in the helicopter.

Not defending it, per se. Just saying, as SS said, when you have no time to wait for the full and correct answer and have to act on what you have because the consequences for a delay might be far worse for you and everyone around you, it changes your behaviour somewhat.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information