Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing the World

still scratching around in the same old hole

Changing the World

I have a friend that is very talented, outgoing,and is a few years younger than me. We have a fundamental disagreement on the topic of the thread title.

He wants to change the world but when pressed has no idea on how that is to be achieved. When pressed there is not one policy the he could point to that he would change and couldnt offer or suggest alternatives.

He is someone that is desperate for change and to make a difference but is waiting for the right idea.

I don't understand this in the slightest. Seems really shallow to me and completely lacking in substance.

The way I see it is you have an area, policy or idea and work hard to pursue it and change will follow. Change is a by product of ideas rather than ideas being tools to aquire in order to make change.

The idea of randomly searching for an idea with change being the aim seems overly ambitious and immature. I fine his thoughts on this embarassing but I seem to be in the minority.

I find the idea of "I want to change the world but I don't know how" pretty juvenile. Almost beauty pagent level mentality.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Goughy; 06-02-2010 at 01:19 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    World Peace.

Yea, doesn't make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    World Peace.

Yea, doesn't make sense.
    To his credit he is handsome, outgoing and a good speaker and people dont seem to call him on it. Well, I do but most dont seem to have a problem with his logic. My typical Yorkshiremans distrust of charisma and flash bastards means I try and break it down on evidence rather than be swayed by personality.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Just keep swimming. Probably the best advice ever, as far as changing the world. Stay positive and stay focused.

But the key is clearly Johnny Depp. The question is how badly he wants it.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

The...er...Twitter

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    There is no point pushing for change if you dont really believe in it. Once he finds the aspect of the world that he wants to change im sure he will pursue it more, but i do think that its important to have that rather than closing your eyes and swinging your arms around at everything that stands it your way.

Personally i would suggest visiting one of the worlds poorer countries for inspiration about wanting to change something.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

I'd like to cure a lot of things too. Within "my" field, I'd love to cure the pseudoscience that infests so many people's minds, but I really have no idea how to go about it. It's much easier for most people to believe a simple sounding lie, or some piece of rhetorical nonsense, than to have them understand or appreciate complex ideas.

Obviously, there are things you can do, but 'changing the world' is a bit silly. You should identify a problem, figure out how you can help it, find the right scope depending on your resources and capability, and do what you can. In the end, that approach will do the world a lot more good than naive sounding ideas that never go anywhere.

It depends on how you look at it. The big picture perspective says no, one person cannot change the world. But from the perspective of working toward the big picture, sure, you can change the world. I don't think that's unrealistic at all. If your life has clear purpose, and positive drive, you definitely can.

But you do it by keeping the right scope, and if you're lucky, it'll snowball. To start off saying I'm going to change the world is a bit ridiculous and naive. Not only will you be overwhelmed, but it won't go anywhere.

You fix a problem within your scope, and do it in a way that might encourage others to do the same.

I think there's a mature approach to the "I'm going to change the world" mentality. In that it's not necessarily a naive mentality, once the approach is right. That's one of realistic goals toward that greater goal. The humility and realization that we, as human beings, can only accomplish so much individually. That's not to say that the initial big picture goal has changed. It's just approached with a maturity of perspective. Reach for the stars, but don't expect a spaceship.

Quote Originally Posted by age_master View Post
    There is no point pushing for change if you dont really believe in it. Once he finds the aspect of the world that he wants to change im sure he will pursue it more, but i do think that its important to have that rather than closing your eyes and swinging your arms around at everything that stands it your way.

Personally i would suggest visiting one of the worlds poorer countries for inspiration about wanting to change something.
    Let me clarify. He is a Middle East expert and speaks Spanish and Arabic in addition to his native English. When he talks about changing the world he means just that. The economic and social fabric. How societies communicate and their interaction etc. He literally wants to change the world. He just doesnt have an idea about how it should be done.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Why does he want to change it? What specifically does he think is wrong with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Why does he want to change it? What specifically does he think is wrong with it?
    Great questions. He cant point to anything he wants to change or specific policy or problem just that he wants to make changes. Glory seeking IMO

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I think I agree.

Ask if he would still want to change the world if it was revealed to him that even if he did, no one would know that he had. He'll say yes, but it's interesting to think about. Perhaps he already has significantly changed the world and just doesn't know it.

They all said "Hallo," and felt awkward and unhappy suddenly, because it was a sort of good-bye they were saying, and they didn't want to think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Great questions. He cant point to anything he wants to change or specific policy or problem just that he wants to make changes. Glory seeking IMO
    I agree entirely. I don't have a problem with the general sentiment of changing the world, but when the person in question hasn't even identified how the world is in some way deficient or a way in which the world could potentially be "made better" before they proclaim how they want to embark on some great crusade, it's just a load of crock.

So this is a power and control thing?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information