Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suicide in India

Suicide in India

Read a really depressing article from Agence France-Presse today regarding the recent spate of youth suicide in India.

Was quite surprised - is this article alarmist or is it (bearing in mind that youth suicide is a horrible problem that occurs everywhere) as severe a problem in India in particular as is painted in the piece? If nothing else, the very young age of a couple of the cases mentioned in the article seems unusual and tragic.
    Last edited by Matt79; 12-01-2010 at 06:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Suicide isn't a problem, suicide is a brash solution to the problem. The problem is that a lot of 11-14 year olds have lives so grim it makes them want to kill themselves.

On one hand - thank you for unnecessarily spelling out in little words what most would have gleaned from my post anyways.

On the other hand - there is a second part of the issue that your response misses which is that is the number of people in that dire situation who opt for that 'brash solution' disproportionate to the norm and/or increasing?

Haha, I wasn't arguing with you, just spelling out my own thoughts on the issue.

The issue for me is stopping people from reaching a point where they have to make that choice. Being 11-15 years old is pretty grim. These guys have all the same emotions that you do, and you might well feel like killing yourself if no one wanted to sleep with you and you had to live with your parents who tell you what to do and what not to do all the time. I don't think society's very good at dealing with people this old. Very patronising.

It's secondary to me whether more people in that situation are making the brash decision because I don't know whether that decision is the right one or not. It's horrific for their families and friends obviously, but on a personal level I don't know any of the consequences of it, so it's quite hard to judge.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 12-01-2010 at 07:12 AM.

Get Jeff Kennett on the case.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    you might well feel like killing yourself if no one wanted to sleep with you and you had to live with your parents who tell you what to do and what not to do all the time. I don't think society's very good at dealing with people this old. Very patronising
    Is not having *** before 15 really something kids get depressed about these days? Wow.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

The...er...Twitter[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Is not having *** before 15 really something kids get depressed about these days? Wow.
    Of course. No *** and no *** makes guys not happy whether they're 11 or 30. The fact that they know they have no right to feel upset just makes it more upsetting.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Yea, it's a huge problem in India. The academic pressures are absolutely unreal. A half a percentage point can completely ruin your life, if you're not rich that is and can't afford the private schools.

However, while a problem, I do think there has got to be a lot of underlying issues for someone to do it. And considering the general lack of options for those suffering from depression and other mental health conditions, suicide is often the result.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Haha, totally. Being 15 (that's like 10th or 11th grade), and no *** is a total social downer. Every 15 year old who hadn't gotten laid in my high school was both depressed and desperate.

Wouldn't say suicidal though.

Frustrated, sure. Prone to crazy film-worthy hijinks, most likely. But depressed? Glad I graduated before that generation.

You obviously didn't live in Orgyland with SS.

Banned
    India wouldnt have a great health service for clinically depressed people i would think,plus i think the modern Indian culture is built around greed and they seem to have in general a lack of social conscience so i can imagine young Indians suffering.
    Losing your virginity in India wouldnt be a problem to worry about cos the women a pretty ragtag esp in those slums or maybe thats why there depressed cos the women dont inspire much

Walking a very thin line, sasnoz.

Quite skilfully trolled IMO.

Banned
    Walking a very thin line, sasnoz.
    Get off the grass,we all have different taste in women i prefer black ones myself

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information