Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stereotypes

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar

Stereotypes

Hi everyone. This thread is about all stereotypes but one in particular. But first I want to say that I for the past few years I have been guilty of believing stereotypes and using them in many of my posts and it has offended many people. I was a bit of a snob (for instance luffy and jamee will remember when I said "Alright then I'll buy an ok magazine and when I grow up I'll be a builder. Then I'll be a success" Horrible I know) I suppose I went through a phase of pseudo-intellectuality and for that I really am sorry But anyway on with the thread. I wanted to talk about stereotypes but in particular the homosexual stereotype. I've noticed that most of the time you see a gay character on a film or tv show they are camp, flamboyant and tbh act like stereotypical teenage girls, I was wondering is this just a stereotype or what?
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

You are a strange young fellow.

cpr
    Meh, snobby faux intellect and looking down the nose FTW.

Pretty much every TV character is a stereotypical pastiche, from the gay one to the gobby one who always puts her foot in it. Its because TV producers think the public arnt clever enough to realise someone's characteristics unless its stamped on their faces

Cant think of many off the top of my head, due to lazyness, but IIRC the first series of Six Feet Under had a fair crack at not stereotyping the homosexual character.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Six feet under was such a wonderfull programe which dealt with so many different issues and in fact it was more than the first series, David and Keith's relationship is on and off for all 5 seasons and finishes with them adopting.

As far as the stereotype type thing is concerned can anyone think of a fat person in film or television who is not evil or more commonly comic relief?

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Six feet under was such a wonderfull programe which dealt with so many different issues and in fact it was more than the first series, David and Keith's relationship is on and off for all 5 seasons and finishes with them adopting.

As far as the stereotype type thing is concerned can anyone think of a fat person in film or television who is not evil or more commonly comic relief?
    Must be dozens, but (whilst acknowledging he was a drug dealer) Prop Joe in The Wire was a lardo whose weight was pretty incidental to his character.

&, obviously, as a gay character, Omar didn't really conform to the mincer stereotype either.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    This movie comes to mind. Was a great movie too.

Danny Glover in Predator II. Russell Crowe in everything since Gladiator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

To answer the question re the accuracy of the gay tv stereotype for CDM, other than whether they prefer their significant other with pie or strudel, gay people tend to EXACTLY like everyone else you know.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    To answer the question re the accuracy of the gay tv stereotype for CDM, other than whether they prefer their significant other with pie or strudel, gay people tend to EXACTLY like everyone else you know.
    It's interesting. Some of the gay people I know, I knew the minute I met them that they were gay. Others I didn't know for a long time, and no doubt there are plenty that might be gay but I don't know.
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Ish. There are definitely quite a few gay people who conform to the stereotype. I implore anyone who disagrees to live next to Canal Street for a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    It wasn't Blur's finest hour, that's for sure. There simply must be more to life.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Ish. There are definitely quite a few gay people who conform to the stereotype. I implore anyone who disagrees to live next to Canal Street for a year.
    Clearly there is a personality type and style that far more gay people conform to than straight people. Is it a cultural issue? I dont know. It is certainly is not all by any stretch but it cant be denied that a 'type' exists far more frequently than in the straight community.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Danny Glover in Predator II. Russell Crowe in everything since Gladiator.
    Nah Russell Crowe is not fat he is schlubby, key difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Certainly true and no one can deny that gay culture exists but I think they key point is that like any stereotype to fit them neatly into that stereotype is ignorent and simplisitc.

On a wider point, I often wonder how homophobic society is these days, one of my very best friends is gay and does get quite a few comments (which do not normally bother him) but I think the fact that I spent most of my times with students makes me forget that unfortunately attitudes have not been changed everyhwere.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Nothing makes me cringe more violently than hearing Christians say something to the effect of, "we don't hate gay people, we want to help them overcome their disease!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information