Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions on christianity.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar

Questions on christianity.

Afternoon everyone. Just a few questions for our christian members, remember I don't really want to argue (wouldn't mind a discussion though) So here's a few questions.

1) If god loved each of us equally why would he burn us in hell for all eternity?

2) What did the bible see wrong with homosexuality?

3) Does the bible go into much detail about heaven?

4) If god created the world and everything what will and has happened is all a part of his divine plan, why did he make bad things?

Think that will do us for now.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    1) Because he is a jealous God.
    2) He had a bad childhood experience.
    3) You sing praises all day, somehow I doubt if you're gay, that you'd be allowed to bone dudes all day. So your reward for celibacy in life is....celibacy in death.
    4) Because he is a vengeful God.

I'll let the Christians answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Pretty unhelpful.
    Jesus saves

member of Liverpool FC and Melbourne City

Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    1) If god loved each of us equally why would he burn us in hell for all eternity?
    God doesn't love us all equally, he had a chosen people - the ancient Israelites, who, ironically enough, penned the beautiful work of fiction.

2) What did the bible see wrong with homosexuality?
    Unfair to note the homophobia with the whole Bible, as it stems from Leviticus, which has a lot of questionable stuff in.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Haha, fantastic. If people can manage to control themselves, I'll buy them a coke. (Y)

Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden View Post
    Haha, fantastic. If people can manage to control themselves, I'll buy them a coke. (Y)
    One atheistic comment, one positive comment, I did have some balance in there. The Dawkins' creed of mega-atheists are as abhorrent as YECs, imo, as faith is irrational (according to numerous believers who I have spoken to) and to question that with reason is to miss the point altogether. However, I do not think that what I said was contentious, at all.
    Last edited by Manee; 05-11-2009 at 10:20 AM.

To me, the Bible is God's word, which carries the most incredible, live-changing news, and it dictates God's plan for the world. If everyone could keep this in mind during the thread, that would help a brother out.

I'm not a practicing Christian but I've done some comparative religious studies. My guess for these questions would be:
    1. The concept of Hell is not really based on anything in the Bible or Jesus ministry. He spoke about not being in oneness with God and what a desolote place that is for any soul, but none of the fire brimstone, ol'Nick reaming you with a pitchfork stuff. Put most of that down to imaginative thinking on people thinking they're working for the good. Also, God does NOT want us to go to Hell, hence he gave us the Ten Commandments AND sent his son to offer us a way to avoid that fate.
    2. Two levels for this question - one is that it is based in the first instance on the story of Sodom from the Old Testament. One way of reading tha story is that rather than objecting to the homosexuality of the planned rape of his guest, the protagonist on that story (Lot?) is worried abor his obligation to protect his guest at any cost, hence his offer of his daughters for their safety. The obligations towards guests is a common theme in many texts from ancient times and it is a common theme that it is the worst thing that can be done to fail a guest.
    The second level is that homosexuality has often attracted resentment in many cultures and there's Bo reason to suspect that this has informed how much of what is written in the Bible has been translated and interpreted over the years. That is, of corse unless you are of the view that God guides the every translation of the Bible. I don't subscribe to that view.
    3. Not as much as you'd think. What's made clear is that you will enter the Kingdom of God and that will be the best thing ever, that your body will be remade incorruptable and you will experience a oneness with God.
    4. God gave us free will. If we are to live own lives in any meaningful sense, we must be free to chose how we behave and interact with the world. God has revealed to us how he wants us to behave, but does not want to make us autonomons by making us so we can't chose ourselves. He made us in his own image, which includes the ability to learn, create, but also unavoidably to err.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

To me, the Bible is God's word, which carries the most incredible, live-changing news, and it dictates God's plan for the world. If everyone could keep this in mind during the thread, that would help a brother out.
    I am happy to accept that. To note that this is irrational is not at all to slur religious belief whatsoever. However, I have a few questions of my own. If you have an inability to answer any of these questions, I would not think that it undermines your belief, at all, as your faith is not based on scientific examination, but on faith.
    • What sort of God would favour people like he did to the ancient Israelites, who, if I'm not mistaken (because I may be) were given the go-ahead to slaughter those who were in their way?
    • Why does God's word require such vigorous interpretation, that no one is really sure if the true meaning of it. The majority view is only that the literal word is false.
    • Why has God only left the word, if scientific proof would be more conclusive. I do not buy that it is to preserve faith, as you feel that the Bible is the unarguable word of God and therefore, who in their right mind would need faith.

Champion.

NB: All questions will relate back to Jesus.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Oh, and what about the killing the firstborns thing? Wouldn't that make God, almost by definition, an evil entity? What would we do to a serial killer who did the same thing?

Pretty unhelpful.
    TBF, he is both vengeful and jealous. Says so himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    4. God gave us free will. If we are to live own lives in any meaningful sense, we must be free to chose how we behave and interact with the world. God has revealed to us how he wants us to behave, but does not want to make us autonomons by making us so we can't chose ourselves. He made us in his own image, which includes the ability to learn, create, but also unavoidably to err.
    But I thought god was supposed to have planned everything what has and will happen.

But I thought god was supposed to have planned everything what has and will happen.
    If God does not reside in space-time, then that would be necessary. But if he lies in this or a parallel universe, it would not be necessary.

I cant help what you think.

seriously, you confusing having an overall plan for each of us with absolute determinism, in whcih we each have no option but to follow an exact script.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    I cant help what you think.

seriously, you confusing having an overall plan for each of us with absolute determinism, in whcih we each have no option but to follow an exact script.
    But don't they say god knows everything we have and will do?

Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information