Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions on christianity.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I respect you as a person too much to respect your desert God myths. Or any other myths.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    The point is that it wouldn't cut it in any other walk of life. When you're sick, you take the medicine the evidence says works.
    Not really you take the medicine that your Doctor prescribes. So you basically take the medicine on the faith you have on the Doc.

There are many reasons why I have faith that can not be explained and reason. There are some real life experiences that make me have faith in the unknown power, unfortunately those are too personal for me to share on an Internet site.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Not really you take the medicine that your Doctor prescribes. So you basically take the medicine on the faith you have on the Doc.
    Or the faith you have in the evidence the the medicine will work. Faith in evidence is different to just blind faith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Or the faith you have in the evidence the the medicine will work. Faith in evidence is different to just blind faith.
    Well not really, Here is an example. My and my wife both are going through some sort of flu/virus infection for last couple of days, we know it is the same thing because the symptoms are pretty much same.

Both of us went to the Doc, he prescribe Flu Medicine to both of us, saying that we got flu without doing any test. I obviously had no evidence to depend on (nor did the Doc) there but just blind faith on the Doctor's word. Now it has been a week and that medicine has not worked for either one of us, so my wife decides to go to another Doc, he says it is a Viral thing and no medicine would work and didn't prescribe any medicine.

So you see my point here ?

The point is that it wouldn't cut it in any other walk of life. When you're sick, you take the medicine the evidence says works. When you want to pick a bowler who will bowl well in an ODI, you pick the bowler who has bowled well in lots of ODIs before.

If someone who believed in God chewed on the end of a pencil to cure their gout, or picked a bowler by opening the phonebook at a random page and dialing the first number they saw, I'd understand it, because they're just a consistently irrational person who uses "faith" to justify everything. What confuses me is when people are rational and intelligent throughout their entire lives, in every little thing that they do, then completely abandon all of their thought processes when it comes to religion. It's an incredible phenomenon when you think about it. And not in a good way.
    I know alot of people for whom the Bible is a set of fables and stories, which outline a way of living that aligns with how they feel people should treat each other. They go to church for the connection it gives them to their community, and they meet alot of great people there. They believe in a spiritual being, but disagree with some of the more ludicrous contradictions in the Bible. They have great respect for some terrific priests in their local churches, but they despise some of the church's despicable actions, like sheltering pedophiles or instructing Christians in aids riddled Africa not to use condoms.

In my opinion they're merely indicative of the apathy towards Christianity that exists in the west, an apathy which is building by the decade. The structure and teachings of Christianity are archaic and are irrelevant to the modern values of the people they preach to. Sure they're holding on for grim death due to the traditional values of some of the older generation, but a "true believer" (by which I mean someone who strictly adheres to the rules of church) is a rarity amongst the young people of today. As these young people grow and pass their values on to their own children, the bond to traditional institutions will become progressively weaker. The west is going through a generational transition of being weaned off institutionalized religion. God speed.

I'm an athiest, but I have no problem with the "Christians" I described above. My gf is a great example of such a person who tempers spirituality with reality. Her sister however is an example of the kind of religious person I despise. There's always a narky comment about how "She'll pray for my soul" or some such (**** off!!! My "soul" doesn't need your help) She preaches about the values of her religion, but only lives by those values when she chooses to. She won't discuss the difficult contradictions in the church's teachings and values, because God should not be questioned. She comes across to me as someone completely blind to reality.

And don't get me started on the unearned respect that priests get amongst the faithful. People wonder why pedophiles gravitate towards the profession.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Also I propose that cdm is the antichrist, looking to sow the seeds of discord and war amongst the people.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    The point is that it wouldn't cut it in any other walk of life. When you're sick, you take the medicine the evidence says works. When you want to pick a bowler who will bowl well in an ODI, you pick the bowler who has bowled well in lots of ODIs before.

He writes the morning after Ben Hilfenhaus played an ODI in India and Burt Cockley hopped the big silver bird to the subcontinent
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke
    #FreeShri
    #408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    He writes the morning after Ben Hilfenhaus played an ODI in India and Burt Cockley hopped the big silver bird to the subcontinent
    That's just the selectors "having faith".

Situation ethics IMO.

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    I know alot of people for whom the Bible is a set of fables and stories, which outline a way of living that aligns with how they feel people should treat each other. They go to church for the connection it gives them to their community, and they meet alot of great people there. They believe in a spiritual being, but disagree with some of the more ludicrous contradictions in the Bible. They have great respect for some terrific priests in their local churches, but they despise some of the church's despicable actions, like sheltering pedophiles or instructing Christians in aids riddled Africa not to use condoms.

In my opinion they're merely indicative of the apathy towards Christianity that exists in the west, an apathy which is building by the decade. The structure and teachings of Christianity are archaic and are irrelevant to the modern values of the people they preach to. Sure they're holding on for grim death due to the traditional values of some of the older generation, but a "true believer" (by which I mean someone who strictly adheres to the rules of church) is a rarity amongst the young people of today. As these young people grow and pass their values on to their own children, the bond to traditional institutions will become progressively weaker. The west is going through a generational transition of being weaned off institutionalized religion. God speed.

I'm an athiest, but I have no problem with the "Christians" I described above. My gf is a great example of such a person who tempers spirituality with reality. Her sister however is an example of the kind of religious person I despise. There's always a narky comment about how "She'll pray for my soul" or some such (**** off!!! My "soul" doesn't need your help) She preaches about the values of her religion, but only lives by those values when she chooses to. She won't discuss the difficult contradictions in the church's teachings and values, because God should not be questioned. She comes across to me as someone completely blind to reality.

And don't get me started on the unearned respect that priests get amongst the faithful. People wonder why pedophiles gravitate towards the profession.

Crackin post IMO, sums up quite a lot I personally feel
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Last night the ABC had Q&A on, and David Marr (a left wing commentator) made a very interesting point.

One of the pollies on the show was talking about religion, and Marr noted how about 90% of people in Australia do not go to church, but that as a country we respect people who do and think highly of them.

I think he's right frankly, which is why all our pollies make their beliefs fairly widely known within the community.

Personally, Ausage's post pretty much sums up my feelings about the whole thing. If people want to believe in something, and it's not a belief that's dangerous or causes harm to others, then so be it.

And by "not causing harm", don't get into all the **** churches have caused over the years, I've heard it (and sprouted it) all a zillion times before.

I'm talking about the individual faith of believing in something above and beyond oneself. People are entitled to believe it if they want to.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I'm talking about the individual faith of believing in something above and beyond oneself. People are entitled to believe it if they want to.
    Definitely.

On the flip side, people are also entitled to not believe. Street/Mall preachers with flyers etc telling me to save myself get my goat.
    Parmi

People mention such people on a semi regular basis on here, but I have to say in 31 years I don't recall ever meeting such a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Afternoon everyone. Just a few questions for our christian members, remember I don't really want to argue (wouldn't mind a discussion though) So here's a few questions.

1) If god loved each of us equally why would he burn us in hell for all eternity?

2) What did the bible see wrong with homosexuality?

3) Does the bible go into much detail about heaven?

4) If god created the world and everything what will and has happened is all a part of his divine plan, why did he make bad things?

Think that will do us for now.
    1. God runs heaven, the devil runs hell. doofus
    2. The exact same things as 99% of the population does. ps. hhaha you must be a homo
    3. No
    4. The devil created the bad things like tsunami's and womens sport

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information