Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions on christianity.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    But can everyone here tell me that they seriously respect Scientology as a religion, even when people clearly have devoted themselves to it? If you met someone who claimed to be a Scientologist, wouldn't you automatically think of them differently?
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    But can everyone here tell me that they seriously respect Scientology as a religion, even when people clearly have devoted themselves to it? If you met someone who claimed to be a Scientologist, wouldn't you automatically think of them differently?
    Depends if they have their lawyers present.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Swing and a miss. Not commenting on the validity of the belief but on the effect on the person in discussing it.
    Well then you've come to the former conclusion- that both are ridiculous- but are choosing to remain silent on the issue to avoid hurting people's feelings. Am I getting any closer to the middle of the bat?

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    I stay away from these topics for a reason, they are just headache inducing.
    Quite so.

I have no faith myself, but I'm not an evangelical atheist either. One of my gripes with religion (particularly Christianity) is its followers' missionary zeal and it's more than a little ironic that some atheists seem to have a similar drive to spread their (non) belief.

A lot of evil is done and continues to be done in Christianity's name, but equally if someone gets solace from their faith and their beliefs don't adversely impact on anyone else I say fair play to them.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Well then you've come to the former conclusion- that both are ridiculous- but are choosing to remain silent on the issue to avoid hurting people's feelings. Am I getting any closer to the middle of the bat?
    No I'd not be silent but I'd be offering, to a religious person, a disclaimer before talking about their religion that what I say might hurt. After that, fair game and if they freak out, their problem.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    I feel you're being a tad dense here Uppercut by persisting with the Santa Claus analogy when others have clearly explained to you why it simply isn't viable. I have personally seen people transform into better human beings on the whole simply because they took their bibles to heart. Compare that to Jehovah's Witnesses who in my experience have consisted of nothing but people that were a few eggs short of a dozen. Should be pretty easy to see why I respect one religion and not the other.
    Forever 63* at the SCG

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    I feel you're being a tad dense here Uppercut by persisting with the Santa Claus analogy when others have clearly explained to you why it simply isn't viable. I have personally seen people transform into better human beings on the whole simply because they took their bibles to heart. Compare that to Jehovah's Witnesses who in my experience have consisted of nothing but people that were a few eggs short of a dozen. Should be pretty easy to see why I respect one religion and not the other.
    I don't mind if you choose to have respect for an idea because you think of it as a positive force in the world, or at least, in the people you've met. I could never make so bold a statement on the positive impact of Christianity on the people I've met, having grown up in Belfast.

Whether you respect an idea is entirely up to you. But I don't like how critical people are of my lack of respect for one, and the Santa Claus analogy, while not as good as andy's of Scientology, was intended to show the hypocrisy of such criticisms.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Whether you respect an idea is entirely up to you. But I don't like how critical people are of my lack of respect for one, and the Santa Claus analogy, while not as good as andy's of Scientology, was intended to show the hypocrisy of such criticisms.
    I didn't read some of the posts as that, especially of Manee and 99*. Personally I have no issues with you expressing your views. Of course I may not like you shoving them down my throat () if, say, we worked together and probably wouldn't want to associate with you for that reason, but that's beside the point.

Yet if someone had faith that Santa Claus existed (or, if you can't stomach that, Scientology) and felt very strongly about that, you'd hold no respect for that. Why? Surely the only difference is that one absurdity has become socially acceptable and the other hasn't? Isn't it hypocritical of you to criticise my lack of respect for someone's beliefs when you have no respect for someone else's equally valid beliefs?
    Way to utterly miss the point of what I'm saying - and to answer your question, yes if I was speakig to someone who was a Scientologist I'd not agree with their ideas, but would try to be polite. You're gettig criticised not because of what you're saying, but because of the rude way you're saying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master View Post
    What makes you think that people in Alabama are going to be saved any more than people in Riyadh? Being born in Alabama doesn't make you a Christian automatically and being born in Riyadh doen't make you a muslim automatically.
    Seriously? Are you going to sit there and tell me there is an equal chance of someone being Christian whether they are born in Alabama vs Riyadh? That the child being born in Riyadh doesn't have a massive disadvantage in terms of ever turning to Christianity, compared to being born with christian parents, christian community, christian indoctrination from birth?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

I do apologise for derailing this thread by questioning the right to intellectually abuse religious believers - I think people are pretty much unmovable on this one.

I do have a question though:

1. The Bible is a collection of myths, legends and stories, assembled by early Priests and followers. Some parts, such as Leviticus against homosexuals, are lambasted by many Christians. How can an arbitrarily, and some may argue, imperfectly assembled text be seen as the word of God?

2. Why has God ceased to reveal himself, as he did throughout the Bible. What was so special about that time that is no longer true about this one.

3. Are there any unanswered scientific questions that you base your religion on or is it entirely a matter of faith?
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

I am more interested in the recension of the text of the Bible, and wondering how people reconcile that with the belief that the Bible is the inerrant word of God.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I am more interested in the recension of the text of the Bible, and wondering how people reconcile that with the belief that the Bible is the inerrant word of God.
    SS, manee suggested that I watch the link "how the universe came from nothing" In your signature, I sort of got the jist of it (thought it was quite interesting as well) how the universe is supposed to have came from quantum fluctuations, but could you explain to me in the simplest possible terms what a quantum fluctuation is please?
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    SS, manee suggested that I watch the link "how the universe came from nothing" In your signature, I sort of got the jist of it (thought it was quite interesting as well) how the universe is supposed to have came from quantum fluctuations, but could you explain to me in the simplest possible terms what a quantum fluctuation is please?
    Basically, empty space is not really empty. Even 'inside' a proton or out in the middle of nowhere, there are temporary changes in energy, and the law of conservation of energy (energy can't be created or destroyed) may be violated. It's not actually violated - but the explanation for that is really technical. Since our universe appears to have zero total energy, so the creation of the universe may not have required the creation of 'more' energy.

In any case, though that video is nice, remember that in science there is no final answer. We don't know why quantum fluctuations exist the way they do. Maybe once we have a Theory of Everything, we may have some insight. I am never afraid to say 'I don't know', because that's the beginning point of science. You just deal with hopefully better and better approximations of the nature of the universe.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 08-11-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    TBF Christianity is a pretty broad church (ha, see what I've done there?) and I'd imagine there are plenty of Christians who don't see the bible as the literal word of god. I think there is maybe a case to be made for god, but not as as alternate explanation to scientific discovery. Creationism does religion a massive disservice because it's such patent bollocks.

Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information