Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on a New Laptop

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar

Advice on a New Laptop

I know there was another thread on here about this, but for some reason it was the only CW page that was ridiculously slow and wouldn't let me post anything.

So...I am looking at getting a new laptop...would like to upgrade a bit so it's not obsolete a week after I get it and this one caught my eye:

Dell Studio XPS 16 Laptop Details

Also have heard good things about the HP range, so something like the HP Pavilion dv6-1200 sounds alright too.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Would like something that handles Photoshop pretty easily, has a nice display for movies and you can play some decent games on sometimes.

Can pick up the Studio 16 online with a $190 discount for being an NRMA member until next Saturday...but will get $160 back on GST when I go back out of Australia anyway so might just wait to see if I can maximise how much money I get back by jagging a discount and the GST by buying it within 30 days of leaving again.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 13-09-2009 at 11:45 PM.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Don't get Vista, don't get Vista, don't get Vista (repeat as required)

HP are okay but their warranty is horrendously ****y. I bought a 2 year extended warranty at the point of sale and when my power supply broke I rang HP up and they told me that it was a reseller warranty and they don't support it. I took it back to Harvey Norman and after a few weeks of to and fro HP finally gave in and sent me a new one under warranty. ****ing ****s.

EDIT: Their laptops are nice though, just their customer service is a complete cluster****.
    Last edited by duffer; 13-09-2009 at 11:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    True, a Duffer "heh" is like 50 likes.

If you can, wait a couple of months for Dell to start stocking their laptops with Windows 7. Absolutely awesome OS, blows Vista and XP out of the water in a big way.

Other than that, they look pretty good laptops.

Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    Don't get Vista, don't get Vista, don't get Vista (repeat as required)

HP are okay but their warranty is horrendously ****y. I bought a 2 year extended warranty at the point of sale and when my power supply broke I rang HP up and they told me that it was a reseller warranty and they don't support it. I took it back to Harvey Norman and after a few weeks of to and fro HP finally gave in and sent me a new one under warranty. ****ing ****s.

EDIT: Their laptops are nice though, just their customer service is a complete cluster****.
    I've heard a few reports that Dell's warranty and service is pretty good (and a few that the service is ****!). The Studio 16 is supposed to heat up a fair bit, but then from reading online this seems to be fairly standard in laptops that are at the higher end. Apparently it's exacerbated by the bottom edge of the screen blocking a vent when it's open though

I am a bit concerned as to what happens if I bring the Dell to South Korea and I have problems with it. They do have a Dell Service Centre here I think so I'd assume I could organise something.

The 64-bit (don't even know what this means) Vista comes with Dell but you can register for a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it's released (don't know if that's a good thing either )

Was also thinking about the Sony Vaio, something like this:

http://www.sony.com.au/product/vgn-fw43g

But Dell seems to offer more for the money in specifications. Especially when you factor in the possible discounts they always seem to offer and the reports that the laptop doubles as a frypan when it heats up.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 14-09-2009 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    The 64-bit (don't even know what this means) Vista comes with Dell but you can register for a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it's released (don't know if that's a good thing either )
    A 32-bit OS only supports up to 4GB of memory.

That's excellent re Windows 7. I'd take advantage of that as soon as you can.

I just bought a pretty cheap Dell recently, as I really only use it for university and CW. Not necessarily in that order. But when I had a problem with it, the service was pretty good, although there weren't going to be any problems with the warranty as it was only three months after I bought it. So maybe that's an issue... hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    A 32-bit OS only supports up to 4GB of memory.

That's excellent re Windows 7. I'd take advantage of that as soon as you can.
    Ah great, thanks for that James.

Yeah, I'm not sure how long the Windows 7 offer is on for with Dell, can get $290 off the Studio 16 system if I take the next model up for $1899 but I can't really see the difference between that system and the $1799 system except for the chip which is a P8600 2.40 Ghz on the cheaper model compared to P8700 2.53Ghz on the more expensive model. Still works out cheaper to pay the extra $60 on the cheaper one to upgrade to the same chip...which is confusing. Unless I missed something else in the specs.

Another thing, are TV tuners useful in these things or just a waste of money if you have to pay extra to get them? Can't really see how I'd be using it that much.

Am planning on having a think about it and deciding by Thursday. Means it has to sit at home and wait for me to get there for a month...and as I mentioned I miss the GST but claim the 10% discount for being an NRMA member (which is more at $190). Was kind of hoping to get greedy though and jag some sort of discount + the GST off when I leave the country by buying it when I'm home to bring the price down to about $1500. If I do that I may miss the Windows 7 deal though as it comes out before I get home.

Decisions decisions...
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 14-09-2009 at 12:18 AM.

Another thing, are TV tuners useful in these things or just a waste of money if you have to pay extra to get them? Can't really see how I'd be using it that much
    You can pick up USB tv-tuners for $20-$30, so I wouldn't worry too much about that side of things. Easy enough to pick up at a later date.

You can pick up USB tv-tuners for $20-$30, so I wouldn't worry too much about that side of things. Easy enough to pick up at a later date.
    I thought that might be an option, it's not something that's of much use to me for the next year or so anyway as I'll be in South Korea haha

Do you have any experience with or opinion of the Dell laptops?

Just looking at the Dell website I think the Windows 7 offer is on until the end of December too which is good.

Do you have any experience with or opinion of the Dell laptops?
    My work laptop is a dell, my personal laptop is a dell, and my girlfriends laptop is a dell, and my old laptop is a dell

I've had good experiences with them all.

My work laptop is a dell, my personal laptop is a dell, and my girlfriends laptop is a dell, and my old laptop is a dell

I've had good experiences with them all.

That's good to hear. Reading online forums etc there's a few mixed messages so it's nice to see that they go pretty well. Would like to actually see one of the Studio 16's in a shop before I buy it just to have a play around, but I'll have to be patient to do that.

That's good to hear. Reading online forums etc there's a few mixed messages so it's nice to see that they go pretty well. Would like to actually see one of the Studio 16's in a shop before I buy it just to have a play around, but I'll have to be patient to do that.
    I brought a new computer last week actually, first computer I've had in nearly 10 years now that isn't a Dell! Finally settled in a place I want to stay in for a while (Sydney) so a desktop seemed the best option.

Good luck with your purchase

Buy cheap, IMO and just get a new one in two years. These things go obselete pretty quickly, so in my experience it's never good to go premuim unless there's a good reason.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Buy cheap, IMO and just get a new one in two years. These things go obselete pretty quickly, so in my experience it's never good to go premuim unless there's a good reason.
    Better to spend $2,000+ on a computer that will last 4-5 years than buy budget computers every 2 years IMO. And those laptops he's looking at are 1,800-2,500 which are pretty damn good,

It's only games that keep needing faster processors, graphic cards, etc. Unless you buy something really bottom of the range, it won't be obselete in 2 years. Those laptops should be good for 4-5 years worth of use I would imagine.
    Last edited by James; 14-09-2009 at 02:59 AM.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    We've just had a couple of new dell laptops....was commisioned to order a laptop for my mum for her 60th and ended up ordering her an XPS 16 and it seems to go alright but she's not the most taxing of users. Got myself a Studio 15 which has also been good though i did upgrade a fair bit from the base model. Had plenty of Dell's in the past and not had any problems.

Look out for any online coupons for Dell, there's usually at least a 5% or 10% discount one floating about which you apply after all other discounts. Think my total discount was about 350 all in, plus my dad bought it through his company so I didn't have to pay VAT either
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information