Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tri-Nations: Australia v NZ

Tim

Tri-Nations: Australia v NZ

I've been thinking about the fullback options for the AB's and i've decided that if NZ are willing to have Blair at fullback who you could say would be a little weak on defence..then why not just play Mehrtens at fullback?

Mehrtens is an exceptional positional player..by that I mean he has the ability to read the game very well and he also has experience, plus he can boot the ball a fair distance.

So that way..NZ gets their best kicker & they can keep Spencer at 1st 5/8 so he just has to worry about making plays and not about how bad he is kicking. And if Spencer were to be injured in a match, Mitchell could slot Mehrtens into 1st 5/8 and bring on either Blair, MacDonald or Muliaina.

This is whats so great about this AB squad if they play to their potential because most of the backline can play good at 2 or more positions.

-Daniel Carter can play 1st 5/8 & 2nd 5/8
    -Aaron Mauger can play 1st 5/8, 2nd 5/8 & Centre
    -Carlos Spencer can play 1st 5/8, 2nd 5/8 or Fullback
    -Tana Umaga can play Centre, Wing or 2nd 5/8
    -Mils Muliaina can play Fullback, Wing or Centre
    -Leon MacDonald can play Fullback, Wing, 1st 5/8, 2nd 5/8 or Centre
    -Ben Blair can play Fullback or Wing
    -Ma'a Nonu can play Wing or Centre

And I dunno about Devine as the starting half-back...defensively Marshall is alot better and Devine got squashed a couple of times by the Saffies on Saturday.

Onto the game this saturday...I think it'll be a great match and on form you'd think the AB's would win, but remember this is a Bledisloe Cup match and wins don't come easy so Australia will be ready for sure.

State Vice-Captain
    When McDonald was at fullback for Canterbury you would see Merhtans and him swap when defending. I wouldn't like merhts put under to much pressure with the high ball.

Mils is doing a good job at the moment anyway.

Marshall is back and I am a bit happier with that. He knows Gregan well so will be able to shut him down better than devine.

Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    McDonald is nothing compared to Mills Muliaina (slp?????). McDonald gets hurt too much while Mills is an exciting up and coming player with a big future ahead of him.
    "Matt Damon"

*sobs* i miss kelleher...
    life's a gift thats why they call it the present

State Vice-Captain
    Nibblet: I personally don't think Mils's future is at fullback though. I think Blair and McDonald are better players there. He is a great utility and has a big future though.

Tim
    Im afraid that MacDonald is the best utility player in NZ..hands down.

Earlier in the Super 12 when Canterbury headed to Canberra, they lost Mehrtens to injury so MacDonald stepped up to 1st 5/8 aswell as the kicking duties and was man of the match by a long way.

He's a bit like Chris Cairns or Dion Nash with injuries so we've yet to see the best of him..hopefully we will because he is a very talented player.

Tim
    Here's something interesting I just read:

The last time the AB's won the World Cup was in 1987, the same year that the NZ Netball team last won the World Championship so maybe that pattern will continue this year? I hope so.

NZs biggest problem is the coach. He's a dip****. We're picking players on form, and what does he do! He picks a player hasb't played a game for six months. He's is a dick and I hope hes gets sacked sooner rather than later.

State Vice-Captain
    Well I think that Mitchall should pick who he wants, after all it is going to be him that faces the media if we lose. I am really happy with the team and think we are a good chance for the world cup.

I heard that about the netball and rugby as well Tim. It is looking good.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by Tim
    Here's something interesting I just read:

The last time the AB's won the World Cup was in 1987, the same year that the NZ Netball team last won the World Championship so maybe that pattern will continue this year? I hope so.
    That reminds me of the England, Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Italy, Argentina, Germany, Brazil pattern of winning the World Cup, which meant everyone over here said England would win France 98...

Inother words a load of crap
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    extrapolating patterns based on years, progressions, number of pies sold at sporting venues and divining or dowsing by any other method is witchcraft. You should all be burned at the stake.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Originally posted by marc71178
    That reminds me of the England, Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Italy, Argentina, Germany, Brazil pattern of winning the World Cup, which meant everyone over here said England would win France 98...

Inother words a load of crap
    Interesting you mention that Marc...

1987 - New Zealand
    1991 - Australia
    1995 - South Africa
    1999 - Australia
    2003 - New Zealand

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Witch! Weighs the same as a duck.

<quack> leave me out of this

All witchcraft aside, New Zealand probably should win the world cup on quality of player.

I like the idea of Blair at fullback - provides a top goalkicker, and he's a very handy player anyway.

As for the Bledisloe, it could go either way. Whoever wins, the loser will most probably get a bonus point.

State Vice-Captain
    Well at the moment it is looking unlikely that we can send our top players. They have to sort the bonus money stuff out before next week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information