Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Indian Politics Thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar

The Indian Politics Thread

What's your take on the Jaswant Singh controversy which has erupted?

Wikipedia -

Controversy hovered him again when on 17 August 2009 his another book titled Jinnah: India—Partition Independence was released in which he claimed Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru's centralised politiy was responsible for partition.[3] He was later expelled from the primary membership of BJP as a result of the ensuing controversy.[4] His book was later banned in Gujarat[5]

R_D
    Typical Modi response banning the book....
    Sad to see but BJP has lots its way long time back... no wonder they are not much of political force.
    More and more right wing nuts like Modi seem to have the hold of party now days.

I saw Jaswant Singh's interview after he was told his membership with BJP has been revoked. It was one of the saddest interviews i've seen. The guy looked heart broken.. imagine putting your whole life working for the party and boom in one second... you are disposed of. I thought he was going to cry during the interview.

Quote Originally Posted by R_D View Post
    Typical Modi response banning the book....
    Sad to see but BJP has lots its way long time back... no wonder they are not much of political force.
    More and more right wing nuts like Modi seem to have the hold of party now days.

I saw Jaswant Singh's interview after he was told his membership with BJP has been revoked. It was one of the saddest interviews i've seen. The guy looked heart broken.. imagine putting your whole life working for the party and boom in one second... you are disposed of. I thought he was going to cry during the interview.
    It was political naiveté to think that there would be no repercussions of his book.

This is not the first time that Jaswant has been in trouble with the party.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    What's your take on the Jaswant Singh controversy which has erupted?

Wikipedia -

Controversy hovered him again when on 17 August 2009 his another book titled Jinnah: India—Partition Independence was released in which he claimed Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru's centralised politiy was responsible for partition.[3] He was later expelled from the primary membership of BJP as a result of the ensuing controversy.[4] His book was later banned in Gujarat[5]
    It is unfortunate and at the same time tells a lot about the character of a Party like BJP and its current leadership. I dont like Jaswant Singh much but he has a right to express his opinion about whatever he has written and no book should be banned in a free country.

I am Glad that BJP is nowhere near Delhi and hope it stays that away for a while now.

And as a student of Modern Indian History I am very glad that Jaswant Singh has come out with this Book, the book may or may not have all the things right about history but at least it presents a history lesson that is different from what is a common belief in India which is not correct IMO.

Even if Jaswant Singh gets demonized for writing what he feels about Jinnah, I think this has opened up a debate in India about the man who is looked upon as an evil character in India's struggle for freedom.
    Last edited by Sanz; 22-08-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Yeah agreed Sanz. A person should be allowed to speak even if it is some thing not accurate in a free country. It has created a debate on Jinnah and such debates are always useful to make things a little clearer.

Yeah agreed Sanz. A person should be allowed to speak even if it is some thing not accurate in a free country. It has created a debate on Jinnah and such debates are always useful to make things a little clearer.
    No-one has stopped him from speaking.
    The BJP have expelled him for airing views contrary to party beliefs. This can happen in any country.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    It is unfortunate and at the same time tells a lot about the character of a Party like BJP and its current leadership. I dont like Jaswant Singh much but he has a right to express his opinion about whatever he has written and no book should be banned in a free country.

I am Glad that BJP is nowhere near Delhi and hope it stays that away for a while now.
    The character of BJP should be pretty evident from their right-wing views and their association with VHP & RSS.

Really can't see what the big deal about the Jaswant Singh issue is? I would have been surprised if the BJP had NOT expelled him.

As regards BJP getting into power, everytime the Congress does not handle issues of nation security properly, it feeds the BJP. Mumbai'08 did not help.

Quote Originally Posted by sirdj View Post
    No-one has stopped him from speaking.
    The BJP have expelled him for airing views contrary to party beliefs. This can happen in any country.
    The book was banned in Gujarat. If the BJP had their way, it would be banned in all of India.

The book was banned in Gujarat. If the BJP had their way, it would be banned in all of India.
    By banning it means it can't be sold....nothing is going to happen if you read it or happen to possess it. This is India after all.......not China.

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Banning it - Wrong
    Expelling him - Right

No way could he have stayed on after taking a stance against his party. BJP after Vajpaye has gone downhill and if they continue along this path will no longer have any say.

Gujarat High Court Lifts ban on Jaswant's book.

Jaswant’s Jinnah: post HC order, 5,000 copies of book sent to Gujarat

See, this is not China.

Yeah, read that a day or two back. Great news.

U19 Debutant
    I like Jaswant singh

but i still dont understand why indians are so pissed of about partition? most pakistanis we celebrate partition from india.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information