Cricket Player Manager
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jobs you would love/hate to have.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Love
    Sports writer, preferably free-lance and independently wealthy so it doesn't matter if I decide not to write for a while
    Pro golfer - it's an old joke, but a nearly 40 year old white man could dress as a black pimp and get away with it
    Wouldn't have minded running an elite tourism business, doing tours up and down the East Coast of Australia, be it day trips out of Sydney, or taking people from OS to some exclusive joints around the traps

Hate
    Bovine proctologist (had to do those exams at school, not a great look when you're trying to impress a girl in your class and you're up a cow's arse to your armpit).
    Working on the loading dock at a large commercial bakery (did it in years 11 and 12 at school one night a week). Induced me to study harder.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I would actually like to be a police officer, it's one career that I have considered at length. With a law degree I would fit right into their fast track program, which would probably be quite decent. The abuse you get etc... doesn't bother me too much, it's just that by becoming a copper you limit your social circles a bit I guess.

Yeah, the abuse a cop gets is nothin, try workin for the Tax Office, we dont have the option of phsyical violence if someone kicks off

Its something i've considered strongly in the past two, like Sledger the fast track program tempted. From the police i've met, especially those around my age, i really dont think i'd fit into the culture within the force, comes accross as being a macho I can sink one more pint than you enviroment. Also whilst I could pass the fitness test, i'm a bit of a demic, especially with back and knee problems, so couldnt hold up with an overly physical job.

In fairness, Civil Service isnt that bad a career, everyone has such a negative view, but its easy money in a fairly relaxed enviroment with good job security and lots of prospects for promotion (found myself down in London last month going for our Fast Track scheme, got to the last round but didnt get it this time, good eye opener and feeling more confident for next time its open), also a hell of a lot of diversity job wise, next moves for me are either going to be fraud or customs

Couldnt do a job where your just sat in an office in front of a PC and not being able to see the output of your work, need to have some satisfaction your jobs worthwhile. Spent a month temping for a company called Chep. They supply all those big blue pallets you see on HGV's that deliveries come on. My job was processing the invoice books for these pallets, that log who dropped off X amount with their delivery, and who took Y away because they've run out etc. Was soul destroying work 'Oh, Tesco have got 2 more pallets, next page, nope they gave 3 back to the next driver....' Data input at its worst.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Couldnt do a job where your just sat in an office in front of a PC and not being able to see the output of your work, need to have some satisfaction your jobs worthwhile. Spent a month temping for a company called Chep. They supply all those big blue pallets you see on HGV's that deliveries come on. My job was processing the invoice books for these pallets, that log who dropped off X amount with their delivery, and who took Y away because they've run out etc. Was soul destroying work 'Oh, Tesco have got 2 more pallets, next page, nope they gave 3 back to the next driver....' Data input at its worst.
    Haha, I was a storeman for a retail store during my year off (unloading the trucks, keeping the back dock organised, arranging home deliveries, parcel pick-ups for larger items etc.) Always wondered where the Pallet control dockets ended up and what poor sod had to keep track of how many pallets were at what store at any one time. Made more fun by there being 2 brands of pallet, chep and Loscam.
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Hate:

Fibreglassing - look it's not the worst job in the world, it got me to do a lot of things (like travelling this planet of ours) and I would do it again if I had to, but it's nothing special and frankly it is hot, sweaty work with chemicals that are strong enough to knock you out if you are in closed area. Plus fibreglassing is really sticky and can burn like **** (although it is not a long lasting thing) and fibreglass can be really itchy, which is worse then the stickyness of it. That and you often work with two-bit ****wits who have just come out of jail and/or drug addicts as well. Then there are more two-bit ****wits who you find have a wife and kids and it makes you wonder how they managed to get any women to want to marry them and have his children as well. I guess miracles do happen.

Kitchen hand/dish washer - especially when it is in a busy restaurant. Pay is crap, only a 15 minute break when it is quiet (it's so busy the rest of the time, you can't even go out for a lunch break, let alone go to the toliet), and then there is arsehole chef's who wouldn't be fit to grease up the frying pan of Rokusaburo Michiba of Iron Chef fame. Felt like smacking of them over the head with a frying pan TBH.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

U19 Vice-Captain redhotchilipepa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Hate:
    Kitchen hand/dish washer - especially when it is in a busy restaurant. Pay is crap, only a 15 minute break when it is quiet (it's so busy the rest of the time, you can't even go out for a lunch break, let alone go to the toliet), and then there is arsehole chef's who wouldn't be fit to grease up the frying pan of Rokusaburo Michiba of Iron Chef fame. Felt like smacking of them over the head with a frying pan TBH.
    This.

Not only is it a ****e job, but the ahole chefs make it so much worse!

Love:
    Masseur for the WTA.
    Professional hitman
    writer

or some combination of the three

Hate:
    data entry
    anything in the sun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

In my last job, the data entry was the best bit. Tells you a bit about the rest.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    In my last job, the data entry was the best bit. Tells you a bit about the rest.
    I never minded doing data entry tbh, because mainly it was a chance to do something extremely easy, I could finish most of what I had to do in about have the time I had to do it, and spent the rest of my time dossing around online, and still did more work than some of the other cretins in the office.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    ****ed himself there. You always get arrangements when you write something for someone else in writing. I dunno about laws over there but here he could stop them from using it. At the very least, he could argue payment for his services was implied, assuming it was. If it wasn't, HTFU.
    I always assumed it was because it was done through the uni he was at. Not completely aware of the details, but the club approached the uni asking if one of their music students could write a new piece for them and his ended up getting used. I still reckon he should have got something, but he seems ok with it.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    Yes, yes, yes.

Would be such a crooked **** though.
    If I ever did become a Spectre (not that I'll be alive by the time First Contact War begins) I can see myself as truly the most neutral Spectre ever. Would probably just do my missions like a good boy and never earn any Paragon or Renegade status. Would kill the Rachni queen every time though, **** that ****.
    RIP Craigos

Love:
    - Stand up comedian
    - International fast bowler
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by DCC_legend View Post
    Human Geography
    LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LL.

Biggest joke of a degree.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Love
    To dig holes.

Hate
    Anything in an office.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    I got a job supervising childrens' play areas. It's swings and roundabouts, really.
    i genuinely laughed out loud then!

Great thread CDM

I love the job I do now, not often do I wish I wasn't there, days one and two of a deciding Ashes Test aside.

So if I was to look at other jobs? I'd love to write for a living, I guess being a creative writer would be my dream job. Other than that, a rock and roll singer or superstar all-rounder (like Stuart Broad).

Jobs I'd hate? Anything involving lifting heavy stuff or night shifts, or rent boy
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Jobs I'd hate? Anything involving lifting heavy stuff or night shifts, or rent boy
    Wouldn't that be one in the same for you?
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information