Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The general poor standard of written and spoken English.

The general poor standard of written and spoken English.

I know this is something that Mitchell and I have touched on before, but I was thinking today, how awful the standard of English (in England anyway, no idea what it's like elsewhere in the world) is in places absolutely appalling, it really winds me up no end.

The worst of which I could think of being highlighted below..

Examples;

1) "I would of gone home".

No no no no no, this does not make any sense whatsoever, why people can't say "would've" or "would have" like they should is beyond me.

2) "Get off of the chair".

Dire again, why people feel the need to add the "of" on the end really baffles me.

3) "I saw a red coloured car"

Again, dire, no need to say coloured, it is a red car ffs, it isn't red coloured.

4) "it was like quite sunny today"

How the hell was it "like" sunny? It either is or it is not. The amount of people who say "its like this" with any number of topics when it is totally unnecessary really gets my goat.

5) "I met/spoke with Dave"

No, you do not speak with someone, you speak to them ffs.

This probably seems pretty petulant on my part, but these are all very basic grammatical errors that are commonplace amongst English speaking people. I know it's not the end of the world, but it's something that I find intensely annoying, and imo raises questions about the teaching of general grammar in schools. I have a Malaysian friend who refuses to believe me when I say he speaks better English than the majority of English people, but i'm not kidding.

And yes, I'm aware I'll get a ribbing if there are any spelling mistakes etc...in there.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Didnt have much of a problem with them apart from the fourth.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Didnt have much of a problem with them apart from the fourth.
    They are all grammatically incorrect.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    I love you.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Interesting. Edit:what sledger said not athlai!

I love you.
    Wub u 2.

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    The last one is pedantic and probably not correct. If you're having a conversation with another person it's perfectly acceptable to say you're speaking with them. If it's a one-way conversation then you're speaking to them.
    "Under the spreading chestnut tree,
    I sold you and you sold me."

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Poor English only annoys me when it's written. Little problems in speech such as the overuse of the word "like" aren't that bad. (Except that one where someone makes a statement then follows it up with "so it was" e.g. "it was sunny so it was." That one gets my goat.)

Poor written English seriously ****s me off though. I used to work in a bar for someone practically illiterate, and it was just embarrassing.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamc View Post
    The last one is pedantic and probably not correct. If you're having a conversation with another person it's perfectly acceptable to say you're speaking with them. If it's a one-way conversation then you're speaking to them.
    Well no, because if you take the meaning of each word in the sentence it generally doesn'wt work. Maybe I am pedantic to an extent, as like you say, it's not something that would bother most people, but if you were having a conversation with Dave, you would speak to him, and he would speak to you, you would not, speak with him.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Well no, because if you take the meaning of each word in the sentence it generally doesn'wt work. Maybe I am pedantic to an extent, as like you say, it's not something that would bother most people, but if you were having a conversation with Dave, you would speak to him, and he would speak to you, you would not, speak with him.
    Na disagree on this one, nothing wrong with speaking with Dave. Dave is a good bloke.

Na disagree on this one, nothing wrong with speaking with Dave. Dave is a good bloke.
    DWTA.

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Speaking 'with' doesn't literally mean speaking at the same time. If you try to interpret all sentences literally you'll have a hard time understanding anything. It's just a common and acceptable usage that has developed over time.

He might be a wooden in ring presence and rubbish with the mic but anyone holding a lone ranger lunch box is clearly a good guy.

Don't be stupid, she speak good and everything.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    My spoken English is quite shocking at times. Routinely use "me" when I should say "my" and have developed the infuriating verbal tic of starting sentences with "Yeah, no..." which is as close to meaningless as makes no odds.

Also, being from the Fens, instead of saying "treated" as the past participle for "treat" I tend to say "tret". & obviously park my car in a garridge not a gar-rahge.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information