Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer help thread

International Regular

Computer help thread

I don't know if we have this.

How do I block certain sites from my Firefox, so that I can leave them on the list but take them off when I want to use them.

I saw this once when I was fiddling around but I can't seem to find it now.

Cricket Web Content Updater alternative's Avatar
    In Firefox, click on the Tools then Otions followed by Privacy Tab.
    In the cookies section you will see Exceptions, Click on that and type in the website you want to block.

Or you can block them specifically using HOST files, but that will also effect any other browsers IMO.
    Member of the AAAS
    Member of CW Green | Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team | Northside Power

Manager of South Australia (WCC)

Winner of AFL Tipping 2006 | Winner of Wimbeldon Prediction 2006

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by alternative View Post
    In Firefox, click on the Tools then Otions followed by Privacy Tab.
    In the cookies section you will see Exceptions, Click on that and type in the website you want to block.
    That isn't working.

EDIT: Problem solved.
    Last edited by Jakester1288; 23-06-2009 at 03:10 PM.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Might as well state my problem here. The CD/DVD drive on my laptop doesn't seem to work at all anymore. Any suggestions?
    RIP Craigos

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Get a new laptop.

Is it possible to remove the hard drive from my old laptop (which doesn't work no more) that has 3 years of photos/assignments/music/ stored on it and plug it in to my new laptop in order to transfer the files from old computer to new (basically working as an external hard drive)?
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Might as well state my problem here. The CD/DVD drive on my laptop doesn't seem to work at all anymore. Any suggestions?
    Take it in and get it fixed. That's the only thing you could do, I would say.

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    Get a new laptop.

Is it possible to remove the hard drive from my old laptop (which doesn't work no more) that has 3 years of photos/assignments/music/ stored on it and plug it in to my new laptop in order to transfer the files from old computer to new (basically working as an external hard drive)?
    think you can conect the drive as slave in another computer and transfer files from that disk to master disk provided the files are readable in your laptop disk ....
    Last edited by biased indian; 24-06-2009 at 08:03 AM.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester1288 View Post
    Take it in and get it fixed. That's the only thing you could do, I would say.
    Kind of defeats the purpose of this thread doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by biased indian View Post
    think you can coonect the drive as slave in another computer and transfer files from that disk to master disk provided the files are readable in your laptop disk ....
    The new computer is a laptop so he will have a bit of trouble connecting the old drive as a slave.

Check your old hard drive.......establish whether its a SATA or IDE(use google images) buy a suitable cheap external case or borrow one from a friend.

@Nightprowler - if your Cd/DVD drive is not repairable then you have 2 options

1. buy an external dvd drive.
    2. use virtual drive software

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sirdj View Post
    @Nightprowler - if your Cd/DVD drive is not repairable then you have 2 options

1. buy an external dvd drive.
    2. use virtual drive software
    This, plus check your manufacturers warranty to see if you're still covered and have them repair it. Or you could buy a new CD/DVD drive and have it installed by a professional, or yourself if you have the skills.

Also, more detail may be needed. Can you open and close the drive okay, and that when you insert a disc nothing happens? If the latter, perhaps upgrading or reinstalling, even maybe downgrading, drivers/firmware could solve the problem.
    Or does it not function physically? Because most laptop drives have a small hole that you can stick a pin into to get it to unlock. Not sure if it would then work if you inserted a disc, though.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

The laptop is well over two years old so a warranty is out of question.

Almost positive its a driver issue actually. The drive opens and closes without a problem and I see an hourglass for a split second when I close it as if it is trying to read it but comes to the conclusion that there is no disc inside. Will have to look for drivers sometime soon, though no clue how to go about it. I'm assuming I just download it from the laptop manufacturer's website? Its a Gateway btw.

Cheers for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    The laptop is well over two years old so a warranty is out of question.

Almost positive its a driver issue actually. The drive opens and closes without a problem and I see an hourglass for a split second when I close it as if it is trying to read it but comes to the conclusion that there is no disc inside. Will have to look for drivers sometime soon, though no clue how to go about it. I'm assuming I just download it from the laptop manufacturer's website? Its a Gateway btw.

Cheers for the help.
    If you have problems reading ALL disks then it most probably is an issue with the laser opto-electronic sensor device (which reads the disk).....rarely is it a driver issue. However you can easily find out the make of your CD Rom drive and download the latest drivers.

To find your CD Rom drive details, rightclick the cd rom drive in explorer
    Properties -->Hardware will list BOTH your hard drive and your CD Rom drive details.
    Usually you can buy a replacement drive off the internet(unless the laptop is really old). Replacing a CDRom drive for a laptop is not that complicated...you will find tutorials on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    Get a new laptop.

Make sure your new laptop has an eSATA port. Buy an eSATA casing for your old hard drive (make sure the case size corresponds to the old drive - 3.5" or 2.5"). Make sure the eSATA casing includes its own power supply and an eSATA cord to plug into the eSATA port on your new laptop. Since eSATA supports transfer speeds of around 6 times that of USB 2.0, you can easily transfer the files onto the new laptop and then use the old hard drive as a fast backup option.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    The new computer is a laptop so he will have a bit of trouble connecting the old drive as a slave.

Check your old hard drive.......establish whether its a SATA or IDE(use google images) buy a suitable cheap external case or borrow one from a friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Make sure your new laptop has an eSATA port. Buy an eSATA casing for your old hard drive (make sure the case size corresponds to the old drive - 3.5" or 2.5"). Make sure the eSATA casing includes its own power supply and an eSATA cord to plug into the eSATA port on your new laptop. Since eSATA supports transfer speeds of around 6 times that of USB 2.0, you can easily transfer the files onto the new laptop and then use the old hard drive as a fast backup option.

Thanks gents, will look into it

If you have problems reading ALL disks then it most probably is an issue with the laser opto-electronic sensor device (which reads the disk).....rarely is it a driver issue. However you can easily find out the make of your CD Rom drive and download the latest drivers.

To find your CD Rom drive details, rightclick the cd rom drive in explorer
    Properties -->Hardware will list BOTH your hard drive and your CD Rom drive details.
    Usually you can buy a replacement drive off the internet(unless the laptop is really old). Replacing a CDRom drive for a laptop is not that complicated...you will find tutorials on the web.
    That doesn't sound good.

Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information