Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: European Parliamentary Elections

I got a leaflet from the BNP a couple of weeks ago - it said "We're saying what you're thinking". They were wrong though, as my thoughts weren't based around hatred of foreign people.
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamee999 View Post
    I got a leaflet from the BNP a couple of weeks ago - it said "We're saying what you're thinking". They were wrong though, as my thoughts weren't based around hatred of foreign people.
    Quite a lot are though, I'm sure I've mentioned the many people I know who beleive the philosophy of "If its white thats alright, if its black send it back" What a joke.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Quite a lot are though, I'm sure I've mentioned the many people I know who beleive the philosophy of "If its white thats alright, if its black send it back" What a joke.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    bread racism

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Can't we all just get along?
    "Under the spreading chestnut tree,
    I sold you and you sold me."

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo View Post
    Um, wouldn't that give you more reason to vote? Or at least spoil your ballot.

A spoilt ballot makes a profound effect on the counting officer getting paid penuts to look at thousands of pieces of paper an hour. It lasts for approx 0.25 seconds before they think 'annoying ****' and bin it.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    The EU is a fat, bloated and broken institution with ideals that contradict each other.

For generations people have battled (figuratively and literally) for the right to self-determination and sovereignty and membership of the EU takes that away. Not only is EU law higher than any elected government in a member state, the
    European Commission, the executive branch of the European Union, is made up of 27 un-elected Commissioners.

It is an affront to national sovereignty and democaracy.

Im all for it for certain projects eg Euro fighter, Large Hadron Collider and European Space Agency. It should be a mechanism for collaboration not government. I can also see security and trade being based on valuable European partnerships. There need to be institutions that cover these areas but we have to be careful how big they become.

I talk to many European advocats (EU Ambassadors etc) and they see a future of complete integration and the member states being reduced to near those of the USA. I cannot share that vision of the future.

You cannot expect a form of government to work where each member is still fighting for its own individual interests and it is impossible set central policies to suit all members. Countries will still put their own needs (as they should) ahead of the collective good. It just doesnt work and is a series of horse-trading and negotiations to get the simplest
    things done. Also add in the fact that certain governments choose to ignore rules and others implement them and the whole thing is a messy mess.

There is only 1 way for the EU to run properly and be less bloated and expensive and more relevant. That is the complete subjigation of the state to the EU institution. As I said, there are many that think this is the way we have to go. I think it is a terrible idea and against the normal way people think.

Hell ****ing yes. Agree with all that. EU can survive, and in some ways is important and needed. Just not this way and not the way its heading.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    It is worrying that the BNP & UKIP look set to do well, mainly out of protest from what I can tell, though. It's not necessarily a bad thing if the major parties get shafted in this one as it might give them a kick up the arse ahead of the real election next year.
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Could do with a few BNP/UKIP candidates getting in - only when they have to contribute to real debates will people get to see what cretins they really are

cpr
    Isnt there a bit of Irony to BNP candidates wanting to represent us in Europe. Because once they're there, like hell will they want to vote against there cushy cash making jobs.......

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Yep, good point.

The thing is I think UKIP have managed to gain credibility. People voting for BNP do it as a racist vote, but I think a lot of people have genuinenly bought into the UKIP's bollocks.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamee999 View Post

I'm part of that increasingly small group of people that are quite heavily pro-EU. Will expand some time maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Not only is EU law higher than any elected government in a member state, the
    European Commission, the executive branch of the European Union, is made up of 27 un-elected Commissioners.
    You mean, like the House of Lords?

cpr
    Personally for an unelected House of Lords per se. Dont weild power on their own, however able to influence a certain degree of control and restraint free from pressure and the need to appease. Considering how so many MP's main concern is keeping people sweet to keep their seat next time, and reacting to the red tops latest hysteria, nice to know that, in theory, are some people who can govern using their brains.

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Personally for an unelected House of Lords per se. Dont weild power on their own, however able to influence a certain degree of control and restraint free from pressure and the need to appease. Considering how so many MP's main concern is keeping people sweet to keep their seat next time, and reacting to the red tops latest hysteria, nice to know that, in theory, are some people who can govern using their brains.
    Interesting. So why do you oppose the European Commision, which is based on similar theory?

cpr
    My argument against the EC isnt its composition, but its aims. Do not believe that our legal and political constitution should be decided by people who have never set foot in the country. I'm all for European trade and defence links, but one political body to legislate over various different nations, cultures, legal systems etc.... Not only do i think it doesnt work, but i think it shouldnt even try.

Our identity as a nation is based on our political and cultural setup, and that should be dictated by this nation alone. I'd still think that if we were as crap at doing it as the rest of Europe, let alone our nation having one of the most stable, progressive and inclusive governmental systems of the past 300 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    You mean, like the House of Lords?
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Interesting. So why do you oppose the European Commision, which is based on similar theory?
    One unelected body does not equal another. That is a massive over simplification that is not comparable. You will be comparing it to Quangos next.

The Commisioners form the entire executive branch of the EU. The Lords form a small part of the legislature and carry few powers. Chalk and cheese

I dont mind the Lords per se. It is useful to have a body that is able to act with more freedom and not subjuect to Party bullying. It is also a historical relic that works but you may not design it that way if building the system from scratch. The Lords is also drawfed in power and relevance by the Commons.

The EU Commisioners on the other hand weild considerable power, are unelected, are not representitve of the European demographics. Member countries have signed away their soveriegnty to an un elected body. The HoL o the other hand is clearly the 2nd house and does not exercise power over the elected house.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information