Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paris in the summer

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar

Paris in the summer

So this is not 100% yet, but I have just found out that I am one of the finalists for a research grant in Paris funded by the NSF (National Science Foundation) in Paris this summer. It will likely be an 8-12 week thing, where they pay for transportation, housing, etc. So I might be coming to Paris (not sure exactly where - e.g, whether within the city limits or just outside). So obviously I'll be working full time, but I should have the weekends (and nights) to myself, and I've never been to Europe, so I want to take this opportunity with both hands.

For people in Europe, what would be good places in Europe to see? What's the best way to get around? I don't know when I'd be back, if ever, so I want to see and do as much as I can. Someone suggested a Eurorail pass? Like I said, I would only have the weekends free - but I'd definitely want to try to visit a few places nearby, such as the UK or Germany for a few days each. Maybe even meet some of you guys if you're in the area!

Can anyone recommend good tips for general living/traveling in Paris - and Europe in general? What to expect, what to see, etc? How do I travel? Any thing to watch out for? How easy to visit London and maybe catch a day of cricket at Lords? Any help is appreciated!
    Last edited by silentstriker; 08-04-2009 at 05:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Paris in the summer: Hot. Noisy. Full of Frenchmen. Stay away. Also, right of way is largely determined by size of vehicle.

Would get to Switzerland if you can. Cooler air, and nothing ever goes wrong there It's expensive though. Some amazing lakes and mountain scenery.

Heard the Loire valley is also pretty nice - lots of forests and wineries - though would defer to anyone who's actually been to France for more than two days on this.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Paris is amazing. Much prefer the French to the Chermans in terms of rudeness tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Come to Oxford and I'll teach you how to bowl*

*Teaching may not be available or competent
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Would get to Switzerland if you can. Cooler air, and nothing ever goes wrong there It's expensive though. Some amazing lakes and mountain scenery.
    Good for a weekend type getaway?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Good for a weekend type getaway?
    Geneva would be a decent goal for a weekend trip, yeah. You have to sacrifice 3-4 hours on the train each way though.

That's fine. I'm used to going upto 5-6 hours each way for the weekends. Good time for some studying.

So Geneva is one. Any tips on any of my questions?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    SS to unravel the Da Vinci code in a mid-afternoon stop-off at the Louvre, IMO.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Paris is great, even though I dont like the place. There is so much to explore and find.

There are weekend trips to anywhere in Europe available cheap.

Could see a different country every weekend.

Flying is the best bet and use public transportation when in Paris itself.

Would be very easy to go to Lords.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

You don't recommend trains?

If I was traveling from A-B-C-D etc but not if I was going and coming back and then going somewhere else and then coming back to base etc

For travelling around Europe, trains are very effective. But fly IMO for quick weekend breaks. Can be cheaper and IMO easier

Interesting, once I have a plan on where I want to visit, I can then figure out what's cheaper and easier.

Also, is it possible to get by without knowing a lot of french? I'll try to learn the common phrases.

Interesting, once I have a plan on where I want to visit, I can then figure out what's cheaper and easier.
    I mean look at it this way. Paris to Prague is a 15 hr train journey or a 2 hour flight and return flights can be got for $60

Same for Paris to Rome. Its a sleeper train whereas the flight is 2 hrs and very cheap. Did the link work I added?
    Last edited by Goughy; 08-04-2009 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I mean look at it this way. Paris to Prague is a 15 hr train journey or a 2 hour flight and return flights can be got for $60

Same for Paris to Rome. Its a sleeper train whereas the flight is 2 hrs and very cheap. Did the link work I added?
    Yes it did, and that definitely makes sense. What about traveling within France? Is it also cheap?

Off the top of my head, I'd like to spend a bit of time in UK, Germany, Spain, Switzerland. Something like 4-5 countries, a weekend each. Maybe a return trip if I like it. Quality over quantity.

Or maybe several places in a single country - I'd really really would want to see a cricket match at a stadium - Lord's being ideal but that may not be possible obviously. I've never been to a cricket stadium of any kind, to watch any kind of match. Ideally, I'd like to watch a Test, but I'm 100% fine with watching a county cricket game in England. ODs and T20s only if the above is not possible.

If you want a really cheap if rather slow way of getting to London from Paris you can get an overnight coach which goes on the Ferry. It's is quite a bit cheaper than any other option.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information