Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Officer gives ticket to man while his mother in law is dying

Officer gives ticket to man while his mother in law is dying

So here’s a story that has left me in complete disgust. This happened in Dallas, the city I call home. NFL player Ryan Moats was racing to the hospital because his mother-in-law was dying. In the car were his in-laws, including the dying woman’s daughter and father. Moats came to a red light, stopped to make sure he could clear the intersection without an accident, and then did exactly that. Dallas Police Officer Robert Powell started chasing him. Moats drove for about 30 seconds and reached the ER room entrance. As soon as Moats and his wife got out of the car, the police officer drew a gun and told them to stop. Moats repeatedly pleaded that his mother-in-law was dying and that’s the reason he ran the red light, to no avail. The officer got on a power trip and held him for nearly 17 minutes while he gave him the ticket! By the time Moats and the dying woman’s father were able to get to the hospital room, she had already passed away. Linked below is a video of the incident captured from the officer’s dashboard. You can hear the officer tell Moats that “I can screw you over”, “shut your mouth”, and “I can make your night very difficult”. While the officer was “legally” correct in his actions, he clearly has no common sense and was acting on anger/frustration/ego. He should be fired.

Full Video: Video | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News

Edited Video: Video | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News
    Last edited by Fusion; 26-03-2009 at 02:50 PM.

International Regular
    FFS that is stupid.

God, thats terrible. Just reading that makes me want to reach out and punch that policeman in the face.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    This has been discussed on another website today.

Can't display the link because it's f ark.com and the naughty filter zaps it.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Dallas Police Chief apologizes for conduct of police officer

The officer has been placed on paid administrative leave pending an investigation. He has shown no remorse, telling the department that he thought he did his job. I really hope he gets fired.

I'm sure police officers get this line from speeding motorists all the time, but it's a bit different when the driver has actually pulled up to the hospital...

Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    I'm sure police officers get this line from speeding motorists all the time, but it's a bit different when the driver has actually pulled up to the hospital...
    Not to mention the fact that hospital staff walked up to the officer and verified that Moats was telling the truth and that his mother-in-law had only minutes to live. I hope the realization that he prevented family members from saying goodbye to a loved one would eat away at his conscience, but I somehow doubt he even has one.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Bit complex this one. The Police culture is such an officious one, with more severe penalties for 'doing the right thing' if it breaches regs than what this guy would face in, say, a civil court. This sort of thing happening, where a copper zealously follows the rules to the exclusion of all else, is pretty frequent. Problem is, part of being a good copper isn't just about following the law/regs but in exercising judgement. Those in the heirarchy get so burnt-out about the whole job, they discourage that sort of thing.

This guy should have seen the lady was in trouble and helped but I'm not surprised in the slightest that his apparent need to follow regs (+ God complex) over-rode his judgement. The use of good judgement in Policing has been eroded for years now, after all. It's a hard balance to strike between more or less regulations to prevent corruption/abuses of power but give Police the freedom to 'do the right thing'.

This guy won't lose his job because, even though someone died, he followed regs. Guaranteed.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

So what's going to happen to him now?
    Inappropriate signature.
    --Moderators

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by inbox24 View Post
    He'll probably help arrange his mother-in-law's funeral I imagine.....
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post

This guy won't lose his job because, even though someone died, he followed regs. Guaranteed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    He'll probably help arrange his mother-in-law's funeral I imagine.....
    To be fair to the ****, I do want to clarify one thing. The mother-in-law was not in the car. She was dying at the hospital. The family was trying to reach her before she died to be with her in her dying moments.

Quote Originally Posted by inbox24 View Post
    Apparently not much. Here's a blogpost from a crime reporter of the local newspaper:

But I am also angry -- not just at the cop -- but at the system. Because here's what I think will happen: He'll serve on dispatch for a while, then be demoted or fired by the chief of police. Then, six months from now, he'll be reinstated in a little-noticed civil service hearing, and the city taxpayers (including me) will be lucky if his attorneys only ask for back-pay. More likely, they will sue and ask for more, and the city will pay him off.

This insensitive officer has already done his damage to this family. Buckle up, taxpayers. We're next.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    To be fair to the ****, I do want to clarify one thing. The mother-in-law was not in the car. She was dying at the hospital. The family was trying to reach her before she died to be with her in her dying moments.
    Hmmmm..... not really much of an excuse. Most coppers would have accompanied the family into the hospital. This guy isn't representative of the majority although I do know this brand of heavy-handedness is a bit more rampant in the US. The bureauracracy is pretty crushing over there which, I guess, breeds this sort of rigidity. Pressure changes everything.

I could see where it was headed too. That sort of copper, if the bloke had been even a little more animated and maybe swore, the O/C spray would have made an appearance. How bad would THAT have looked?! Tbh, I'm shocked this guy didn't lose his temper at the situation. Amazing restraint.

EDIT: "If my Mom was dying I'd probably be a little upset too but if I saw flashing red and blue, I would stop!"

Haha, yeah right, champ. By that point, he knows he's probably screwed up but dammit, he's going to push through anyway! Red-light runners need to know they're not immune! Fairly stunning lack of insensitivity on display here.

I mean listing the charges he could take the guy in on? Geez. A cop can take you in on illegal interference if you breathe and leave a mark on a car which isn't yours. What's the thing which stops them from doing that every time? Judgement. Someone runs a stop sign, your partner runs the plate and finds nothing, do you assume they're felons on the run? No. $10 says he saw several black people in a new 4WD and assumed they'd stolen it.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 27-03-2009 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Wow, that changes things somewhat. Hope they weren't speeding.

Well, it is mother-in-law...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information