Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The School Thread

International Regular

The School Thread

There are quite a few CricketWeb members who go Secondary School, Tafe or Uni, this is the thread for all school discussion.

I want to know how you study. I don't have an overly large workload, but I have let it build up, and now have a cooking assignment, ton of maths (which is 90% complete), an English poem and a poem response, a computer web site to be build from scratch (I have only just started TBH, and it sucks, thinking of starting again) with the English and Maths due this week. I will mainly be working on the Cooking assignments throughout the holidays, because it's due first day back, and the web site isn't set as a due date, but I need a fair amount done by Thursday.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    You could probably knock most of that out in an afternoon, Jakey.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    You could probably knock most of that out in an afternoon, Jakey.
    Yeah, but I'm too lazy.

Plus I don't have a clue about the response to the poem and the Maths work. Oh, and I can't build web sites for ****.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    what maths work is it?

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    what maths work is it?
    We just finishes a unit of Algebra, and are now on angles and other geometry like that. I really struggle in that field, probably my worst aspect of maths.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester1288 View Post
    We just finishes a unit of Algebra, and are now on angles and other geometry like that. I really struggle in that field, probably my worst aspect of maths.
    I prefered Algebra too, it's the kind of things we do all the time, such as - 3 apples for $6 = $2 each. With geometry it's important to get the original rules right. 180 deg in a triangle, pythagorus etc. because these are the building blocks and as you progress you will build upon them.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    I prefered Algebra too, it's the kind of things we do all the time, such as - 3 apples for $6 = $2 each. With geometry it's important to get the original rules right. 180 deg in a triangle, pythagorus etc. because these are the building blocks and as you progress you will build upon them.
    I am so sick of these lines and shapes and angles and working out what they add up to and having no clue at all and the teacher expects us to do heaps of homework (and I don't even understand it in class!) because we do half as much maths as last year, so double the homework comes with that. I have always been in the top class, from when we started getting graded back in year 3, except for year 5, when I was in the second class. Last year we weren't streamed due to it being the first year of high school, but this year I am back in the A classes again (for maths and English - the only streamed classes) and I actually think I will go down in maths classes after the exam coming up on the 27th.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    If there's something you dont understand with the maths, post it up and someone will help.

Not that we'll do your homework for you
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    If there's something you dont understand with the maths, post it up and someone will help.

Not that we'll do your homework for you
    I don't expect you to do my homework. I'm currently trying a tutor things through yourtutor.com, which I access through my local library website with my library card number. The tutors are fairly slow, but are helping me get my work done. It's pretty good for over the net, sometimes it's a bit hard to understand, but I'm getting the hang of it.

Wish I could remember all the ridiculous maths I did in 4-unit. Doing a degree without any real math-work post first year has dulled my mind to everything.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Geometry is when people tend to start having a little bit of trouble in math. Most people do fine in algebra. I took geometry in the 8th grade and I didn't do well initially - it takes a while because the mode of thinking is different than in algebra. You have fewer rules, but you need to be a little creative in their application. Even though higher math uses more algebra, the skillset from Geometry is probably more indicative of what it takes. Once you finish calculus and go on to higher math, you'll see the applications.

If you're learning the circle, for example, you just have to remember a few things. How many degress is it, and radians? Area, circumference, volume (sphere). And then its just practicing how to derive what they want using these simple facts.

Stick with it, anyone can do it, it just takes practice. Most people think they are bad at math, but that's because they've never really given it a chance by practicing. Unlike some other subjects, you can't learn it by watching or reading. Just do as many problems as you can, hundreds of them. And you'll ace it without any issue. Once you start getting the hang of it, you'll start to enjoy it. Most people find it daunting because they don't quite get it, or get it enough simply to get a good grade. If you can ace math, trust me, no subject will ever seem daunting to you and the skills you learn will be applicable in any science.

Good luck, and post if you need help.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 16-03-2009 at 06:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    it takes a while because the mode of thinking is different than in algebra. You have fewer rules, but you need to be a little creative in their application.
    You almost-and I stress almost-made it sound interesting and exciting.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

I hope so . I think once you get over the hump and stop treating it as something daunting, it really becomes very interesting. There is very little memorizing. It's all about how you can take just 3-4 facts, and create a whole system to solve virtually any type of problem. I would say it's possibly the most purely creative activity you can engage in.

As I said, most people go in without giving it a chance. It's funny, I talk to some biochem majors here, and many of them hate math. Then I ask them how much time they spent preparing for their biochem exam, and they all give a high number, like 100-200 hours. But when I ask them how much time they spent doing math problems - it's rarely above 20. You spend that much time preparing for math, and you'll ace it, no matter who you are.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 16-03-2009 at 06:36 AM.

Logic is definitely the best subject I took during Undergrad Maths, although it wasn't until I read a bit more on Greek philosophy that the pieces fell together.

Worst call made by a lecturer:
    Predicate calculus should be obvious to a child (in theory yes, not in assignments however)
    Last edited by Redbacks; 16-03-2009 at 06:42 AM.

He's probably right. I know guys like Feynmann used to derive their own laws as a teenager. He was obviously very exceptional, but I would say what he did as a teenager is not beyond the realm of most teenagers, if they were sufficiently interested.

I mean we have these useless spelling bees where kids memorize thousands upon thousands of words (though they do also learn the language really well, by familiarizing themselves with green, latin, etc for roots and spelling). If they spent half as much time on actually learning something, instead of memorizing, you could easily teach them all of calculus, linear algebra, and a lot more by the time they are 13-14.

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information