Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Expats be given the right to vote?

Pinball Champion!

Should Expats be given the right to vote?

A thorny issue in South Africa, the constitutional court has just allowed Expats the right to vote.. I'm 50/50 on it really, while they are more likely to vote for the opposition which is a good thing, I don't think someone who has given up their interest in a country and no longer contributes towards it should be allowed to have a say in how it is run.. I for example wouldn't dream of voting in the UK election, a country I don't contribute towards, so shouldn't have a say in IMO..

I don't think people who haven't been to South Africa for years should be allowed to have a say in things that affect us here on a day to day basis.

I think it depends on where you live for the majority of the time. If you've upped sticks completely and moved abroad to settle it seems a little counter-intuitive that you get to vote on issues that don't affect you directly anymore. To use the current idiom, expats aren't stake-holders in the same way residents are.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    I don't think someone who has given up their interest in a country and no longer contributes towards it should be allowed to have a say in how it is run.
    Yeah, I agree.

I also think the 'one vote for all' concept should stretch across national boundaries. I don't like the idea of some people being able to vote in elections of more than one country.

awta.

I can vote in the New Zealand election, but I never have. Because as BB said, there is no need, as none of John Key's policies have any impact over my life, but for example Kevin Rudd's policies does.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Lived as an expat for years and I dont think that I should be able to vote in Oz elections as the policies of the Australian goverment have absolutely no impact upon me PLUS the ****ers would probably make me pay tax on my earnings in my adopted homeland if they granted me the right to do so

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Haha, at first I thought you meant should they have a right to vote in the country they're currently staying in.

But definitely, 100% yes. I'm not sure how it's going to work there in South Africa, but I like the Australian system: it's compulsory to vote if you're actually living in Australia, but if you are an expat, you don't have to vote if you don't want to. That way, if you are still interested in your home country, you can go ahead and vote, but if you're not, no worries.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Whilst you are a citizen of a country you should be able to vote in its elections.

Whether you live there or not isnt important, they still represent you as a citizen. You can also return anytime you wish and have an important role in shaping how you want your country to be.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

flyplane Champion! Alien Invasion Champion! Bubble Trouble Champion!
    The way it was before even people on a working-holiday who were only away for a short, defined period couldn't vote. Much better to do away with all the restrictions on who can and can't, it's too easy to exclude people, seems unlikely that people who aren't coming back will bother anyway.

Yes.

Only if they're paying their taxes in their native country.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Whilst you are a citizen of a country you should be able to vote in its elections.

Whether you live there or not isnt important, they still represent you as a citizen. You can also return anytime you wish and have an important role in shaping how you want your country to be.
    Yeah I agree with this, I can vote in the Australian elections if I want while living overseas. One thing that did grate a bit though was English expats voting for a monarchy when we had the referendum on a republic a few years back. Admittedly, the system put forward for changing to a republic was somewhat flawed. But hearing people with posh English accents talking up the Queen on TV made me want to shout "If you like her so much, **** off back home!"
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

The way it works in New Zealand or so I've been told is that you can't vote if you've been living out of NZ for 4+ years.

Come the next NZ election, I won't be able to vote and I'm an NZ Citizen.

Would imagine you can't vote either Craig.

i believe they should, as long as they remain citizens..
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Lived as an expat for years and I dont think that I should be able to vote in Oz elections as the policies of the Australian goverment have absolutely no impact upon me PLUS the ****ers would probably make me pay tax on my earnings in my adopted homeland if they granted me the right to do so
    I know how you vote, and I agree you shouldn't
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information