Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The daily poll.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar

The daily poll.

OK, basically I give a poll based question every day on the news and what have you (maybe we could do a cricket one as well) and each day we'll get results, I think it will be interesting.

Today's poll:

Should the U.S. pursue talks with moderate elements of the Taliban?

1) Yes

2) No

3) Unsure

I found this one on the time magazine website, personally I think the war what the US and other western powers has not been very successful whatsoever and has resulted in even more hatred toward the west by the middle east. One could argue that we have took down Saddam Hussein's brutal dictatorship, weakened Al Qaeda and the Taliban and created a democracy in Iraq. But at what price? Both sides have shown disgraceful incidents which comes back to that "All's fair in love and war." Cliche and thousands (If not a million) have died. Personally though I think the US would get a lot done through basic diplomacy. So I think yes they should at least talk with each other, but what if one side doesn't want to listen? It could result in only more violence, but on the whole I think they should try. So I choose option one.

But what do you think?
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Couple of questions arise for me...are they really the Taliban anymore(as in if you manage a negotiation with 'the taliban' will that stop the fighting or are there really just groups of insurgents all with the same goal but probably to fight amongst themselves if they ever achieved it)? and what is the meaning of 'moderate' taliban?
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

extremist from the middle east wouldve found other reasons to ' hate the west'
    P.S. We beat England at Lord's
    Member of the RTDAS.
    Member of the ESAS - Edgar Schiferli Appreciation Society
    President of the DNAS - Dirk Nannes Appreciation Society
    Member of the CW Colts!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think it's really disappointing of her - would only take a minute or two of her time....
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Wishful thinking on your behalf.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Assuming there are moderate elements in the Taliban (and I just don't know tbh).

Then Yes. Unequivocally Yes.

Jaw Jaw is better than War War
    - Sir Winston LS Churchill.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

My friend and I were at the bookshop this week. He needed to read The Art of War by Sun Tzu. I thought it was appropriate that a book entitled The Art of Negotiation was placed on the rack right next to it.

Sun Tzu devoted a significant portion of his text to the question of when you should or should not fight.

I say 'no'. There are no sufficiently 'moderate' elements the West could live with, so it's a pointless exercise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    My friend and I were at the bookshop this week. He needed to read The Art of War by Sun Tzu. I thought it was appropriate that a book entitled The Art of Negotiation was placed on the rack right next to it.
    The Art of War was once famously circulated by John Buchanan to the Aussie cricket team.

I think the best advice in the book was along the lines of "When faced with a superior enemy, run away".
    Last edited by Burgey; 11-03-2009 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    The Art of War was once famously cirdculated by John Buchanan to the Aussie cricket team.

I think the best advice in the book was along the lines of "When faced with a superior enemy, run away".
    Not intending to run the book down, but IMO Shane Warne would probably have tossed it into the bin Only read a few pages, but much of it seemed like common sense cloaked in elaborate prose.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Not intending to run the book down, but IMO Shane Warne would probably have tossed it into the bin Much of it seemed like common sense cloaked in elaborate prose.
    You say that, and you're right, but it's incredible how often the words of that book have been fatally ignored in history.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Assuming there are more moderate elements of the Taliban they should, i doubt they would get very far but talking is always good.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

still scratching around in the same old hole
    The answer is a resounding 'No' (though behind the scenes, unofficial, contact will, Im guessing, exist)

It is not politically prudent nor does it fit into the objectives to parley with terrorist organization (especially those that attacked on US soil).

I assume, the diplomacy aspect is to work behind the scenes and get other actors backing US policy objectives.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Pinball Champion!
    Yes

What was the question?
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Irrelevant third answer for me, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Yes: 3

No: 2

Unsure: 1

Next poll:

Does Bernie Maddoff (Wall street investment manager responsible for billions in fraud) Deserve to spend the rest of his life in Jail?

1) Yes

2) No

3) Unsure

Anothe one from time (They wont all be from time trust me) But anyway. Personally, the man is 70 years old, a sentence of five years could mean he'll die in prison. 94 percent said yes on the Time website, I would like to see what they would say if he was 40/50 or younger. But I cant decide on this one. what about you?
    Last edited by cover drive man; 12-03-2009 at 01:09 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Yeah. Fraudulent billionaires get off far too lightly IMO. What he did was the equivalent of burgling a few hundred thousand people's houses and should be treated no differently.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information