Cricket Player Manager
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: The daily poll.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    There are circumstances where it is legal to enforce medical treatment/procedures on those who are mentally unstable actually.
    Most of my comments come from me seeing the difficulty in getting my schizophrenic friend back onto the rails. (There's also likely differences due to local laws etc) The problem is that enforcing medical treatment on occassion doesn't do enough to treat his underlying sickness.

There have been extreme difficulties in getting him to stay on his medication. Sure when he REALLY loses it he's taken to a hospital, put on medication, and things calm down for a while. Sure enough, he gets released, gets taken in by family, stops taking his meds, runs away, gets back into drugs, rinse/repeat etc. I guess I just find it hard to see a way of solving a problem like this without either compromising his essential human rights, or exposing the community to an individual who is at times dangerous.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    In the overwhelming majority of cases punishment achieves nothing but revenge
    Fear of revenge is a powerful motivator not to do something idiotic.

You seem to look down upon revenge. I disagree with that viewpoint in many serious cases. If someone willfully causes serious bodily harm (an attempted murder for example) then I see nothing wrong with punishment/revenge. If they can't handle the consequences then they shouldn't have committed the act. Of course there will always be exceptions, but as a general rule imo it applies.

For petty stuff like theft etc rehab plus a minor punishment (depends on what they did really) would be my course of action.

The likes of Clayton Weatherstone that stab their girlfriends 216 times (I kid you not) then brag about how intelligent they are in court deserve to feel the same horror as their victims felt. Obviously we descend to their level if we do that, so we lock them up for the rest of their lives instead for the publics safety.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 01-12-2009 at 03:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Fear of revenge is a powerful motivator not to do something idiotic.

You seem to look down upon revenge. I disagree with that viewpoint in many serious cases. If someone willfully causes serious bodily harm (an attempted murder for example) then I see nothing wrong with punishment/revenge. If they can't handle the consequences then they shouldn't have committed the act. Of course there will always be exceptions, but as a general rule imo it applies.
    Fertang's point was that the punishment generally doesn't achieve the aim of deterrent, which is what it really should achieve. The aim of revenge is a completely different, and less important, matter.

Not saying I necessarily agree with him though.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread Information