Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japan

Japan

Perhaps I'm foolhardy but at this stage I'm 99% certain I'm going there in April for a week or so before I go to a different part of Asia (likely Vietnam). Obviously I speak no Japanese (might be bit of a problem ) and a completely different culture to what I'm used to. Plus there is enough cheap flights there I can get a bargin. At this stage I'm going Tokoyo, Osaka, and down south to Hiroshima and see the site where the Atomic Bomb got dropped (my grandfather on my mum's side was sent there in WWII three days after the bomb to help out in the clean up and walked around in his sailor suit and a pair of thongs )

Anyway I know about the country or customs or heck language, so some advice or have I bitten off more then I can chew?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Exchange rate would hurt you pretty bad, I'd imagine.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Yeah I was going to say that too...

You only need to know one thing over there language wise Craig:

Manko o misete kudasai = Pleased to meet you.

There's one guy on here who could be a lot of help I think, so I'm sure he'll turn up sooner or later. I was there for a year, but it was a long time ago so I'm not sure I'll be a source of useful information. I would say though that if you're only going for a week it's probably better to concentrate on one region rather than a few. Tokyo's not that far from Osaka if you go by bullet train, but that's expensive as far as I know. I'd look at Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima if I was there for a week but I guess flying into Tokyo might be unavoidable anyway. There's a nice little island called Miyajima Island near Osaka (or Kyoto) if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 03-03-2009 at 01:52 AM.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Exchange rate would hurt you pretty bad, I'd imagine.
    Yeah it will probably kick me in the balls quite hard. That said the same would apply if I went to America or Europe (the exchange rate to the pound will hurt and so does the Euro). Stupid crappy Australian dollar *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Yeah it will probably kick me in the balls quite hard. That said the same would apply if I went to America or Europe (the exchange rate to the pound will hurt and so does the Euro). Stupid crappy Australian dollar *shakes fist*
    Go to Iceland...I'd be there with bells on if I could go Flight'll cost ya though.

Interesting thread as I was thinking of going to Japan this year myself, but have put it off due to the weak Aussie $.

Heard wonderful things about Japan from people that have been there, and from reading guides online. Sounds like a great place to visit.

Don't forget to post some thoughts back here when you get back Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Perhaps I'm foolhardy but at this stage I'm 99% certain I'm going there in April for a week or so before I go to a different part of Asia (likely Vietnam). Obviously I speak no Japanese (might be bit of a problem ) and a completely different culture to what I'm used to. Plus there is enough cheap flights there I can get a bargin. At this stage I'm going Tokoyo, Osaka, and down south to Hiroshima and see the site where the Atomic Bomb got dropped (my grandfather on my mum's side was sent there in WWII three days after the bomb to help out in the clean up and walked around in his sailor suit and a pair of thongs )

Anyway I know about the country or customs or heck language, so some advice or have I bitten off more then I can chew?
    Go for it.
    The bolded bit is the same for me.
    Actually taking my mum, who is visiting me in Japan at the mo, to Hiroshima in a couple of days.

I live in Osaka, and I can tell you, theres not much touristy places to go. If you come to Osaka, just use it as a base to go to Kyoto and Nara. Skip Osaka Castle and see a real one just an hour or so away called Himeji Castle. Its actually a couple of hundred years old, and not 70yrs old with an elevator inside.

Kyoto - just took my Mum there today.
    Lots of temples. You can get a bus pass pretty cheap and spend a day going around some sites. There are lots of them, but just go to the main ones.
    Golden Pavillion, Silver Pavilion, Kiyomizu Temple, Yasaka Shrine etc etc
    I also recommend Nanzenji, as its free. And a friend tells me that Fushimi Inari is awesome.

Nara
    Todaiji - huge buddha.
    Lots of deer.

Hiroshima
    Miyajima
    Peace Park (Atomic dome etc)

Tokyo
    Asakusa
    Tsukiji Fish Market
    All the shopping places like Shibuya (has the intersection with millions of people crossing as seen in Lost in Translation), Harajuku (you see a lot of whack jobs), Akihabara etc
    Theres lots more to do in Tokyo, but most of the time I'm there its just for the night life. If its touristy things you want, I suggest spending more time around Kyoto.

One more thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Manko o misete kudasai = Pleased to meet you.
    Last edited by KiWiNiNjA; 03-03-2009 at 06:41 AM.

Ive been to Japan two weeks a 7 years ago...

Tokyo is godlike, I loved every minute of my time in Tokyo!
    Been to Nagasaki, very impressive place!

overall Japan is really crazy, I've seen the craziest of things in Japan, that has to do with cultural differances and just their weird ways of going through life we've seen people sleeping at work...crazy

Overall everyone is very polite ! and they expect you to be polite in thier ways as well, which is very confusing because what you think is polite is rude in their eyes...(i'm pretty generalizing here)

but yeah, go for it! especially since you have family historical value to the place.
    P.S. We beat England at Lord's
    Member of the RTDAS.
    Member of the ESAS - Edgar Schiferli Appreciation Society
    President of the DNAS - Dirk Nannes Appreciation Society
    Member of the CW Colts!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think it's really disappointing of her - would only take a minute or two of her time....
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Wishful thinking on your behalf.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    You may have got cheap flights but it's very expensive over there, so I've been told.

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    I went to Fukuoka for about 10 or 11 days in 1997 and stayed with random Japanese people.

It was a pretty swell trip, that's about all I have to say really. They had many different flavours of Fanta and 1 litre Coke bottles long before we did in NZ, and a single apple cost the equivalent of $8 NZ. I also purchased a Game Boy Pocket which was not released in NZ at the time, exciting times fo sho.

Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    I went to Fukuoka for about 10 or 11 days in 1997 and stayed with random Japanese people.

It was a pretty swell trip, that's about all I have to say really. They had many different flavours of Fanta and 1 litre Coke bottles long before we did in NZ, and a single apple cost the equivalent of $8 NZ. I also purchased a Game Boy Pocket which was not released in NZ at the time, exciting times fo sho.
    Fuk U Ok? My mate went there not long ago on a visa run for a teaching job here in South Korea. He really liked it, but I think it was mainly because he was comparing it to Korean cities and therefore it was a bit more cosmopolitan.

Akihabara in Tokyo is a good spot to go if you want electrical goods...when I was there if you asked them how much anything was (regardless of the ticketed price being displayed) they'd tell you a discounted price. Got a CD player there that I've never seen on sale in Australia since. It's not that impressive looking now, but it was then. Unfortunately I plugged it into the power without the power adapter attached after a rather long formal night and it took a year and a half to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Kweek View Post
    Overall everyone is very polite ! and they expect you to be polite in thier ways as well, which is very confusing because what you think is polite is rude in their eyes...(i'm pretty generalizing here)
    It's funny, everyone says this but I find it to be very much a learned politeness (at least in Korea anyway, I can't really remember a great deal about it in Japan). Sure, go through the process of bowing and being overly welcoming to guests. But then barge your way through crowds, try to run people over as it's not national policy to stop for pedestrian crossings, talk over people, answer your mobile phone in meetings etc etc.

It's very much a contradiction from one day to the next

KickUps Champion!
    Have been living in Tokyo for 3 months now. I wouldn't be too worried with the language barrier. There are actually quite a lot of street signs around with English written underneath the Japanese so it isn't too bad. You'll also find a surprising number of people know how to speak some English. I manage to get around Tokyo alright with almost no knowledge of the Japanese language.

Most things are really expensive here, although there are a number of really good, local restaurants in Tokyo that are also really cheap.

Definitely would recommend going to Shibuya, Ginza, Akihabara, Roppongi and Shinjuku in Tokyo for shopping, maybe Harujuku if you want to see some really, really strange fashion.

Theres a few cultural differences as well. For example when catching a taxi the door open and closes automatically and the drivers don't really like it when you open the door manually. Cyclists also ride on the footpaths and almost never ring the bell when they are right about to speed past you which also gets annoying.

Thanks a lot, it is a big help. We can have a meet up in Japan

I've heard that in Japan, men come first.

Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information