Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: What type (if any) of genetic engineering do you support?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full (all gene sources), including permanant changes to the germline

7 36.84%
  • Full (all gene sources), but no permanant changes to the germline

3 15.79%
  • Full genetic engineering, only human genes, including permanant changes to the germline

1 5.26%
  • Full, only human genes, but no permanant changes to the germline

1 5.26%
  • Some, (e.g, preventing diseases) all sources, but permanant changes to the germline

4 21.05%
  • Some, (e.g, preventing diseases) all sources, but no changes to the germline

2 10.53%
  • Some, (e.g, preventing diseases) only human genes, but permanant changes to the germline

0 0%
  • Some, (e.g, preventing diseases) only human genes, but no changes to the germline

0 0%
  • No genetic engineering

1 5.26%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Genetic Engineering: Do you support it?

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar

Genetic Engineering: Do you support it?

Well, I watched Gattaca again, and I wanted to get people's opinions on what they support. Some clarification: germ line refers to the sperm and the egg, meaning if you make a gene change there, it will be passed down through normal procreation, and it will be part of the human genome. In essence, you are forever changing the composition of the human species - with enough time, it could spread throughout the human species thereby altering it in some way forever.

Non-germline changes are changes for the individual, but when you procreate, those changes won't be passed down through the generations (meaning, your child would have to also be genetically engineered for those genes to be carried forward). It must be noted that as of right now, most scientists and bioethicists don't recommend any changes to the human germline.

And when I say genes from other sources, I mean genes that could be found in other species. For example, if a gene in a species makes us resistant to a certain disease, but it is not found in any human population whatsoever. Or it could be a gene designed from scratch in the laboratory. Whereas, some genes are found in human populations, such as the gene that makes one resistant to HIV (it is found in a small percentage of northern Europeans) but you personally may not have it and could theoretically get it.

Note that right now, most of it is not possible (some of it may not be for a long time, especially ones that require control or the part of about synthetic genes, etc, but assuming it is). I have a feeling that within 50 years, most of the above will be realistically possible - and some of it may be possible within 10-15 years (it would probably start with early elimination of certain diseases via gene therapy).

If you could explain your position, that would be great. I'm really interested in this topic (thinking about doing a research project on it), and I'd be interested in peoples thought process. I think I've made it flexible enough to encompass most people's opinions.

Also, another question not asked in the poll: If it were available, and other people were using it, would you also use it on your children to not give them a disadvantage?

As for me personally, I would support full changes, including changes to the germline once we have the technology to do it safely.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 25-02-2009 at 04:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Well, I figured my soul-brother would agree with me.

Regulation is going to be a major headache.

Where's the "too many options, head exploding" choice?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Regulation is going to be a major headache.
    This is a good point. Gene patents trouble me.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

It depends really, obviously its plain common sense to use any advantage over dangerous sicknesses etc that we may find, but it just take one person to **** it up and we all grow piggy tails.

I'll have a good look at the poll options again and decide eventually.

Went full changes, but no permanent ones to the germline, so we have a back door if the **** hits the fan.

99*
    If science fiction has taught us anything, it's not to mess with the human genome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey
    She tells me the thing will flatten out, I say "Like your chest?" Bad mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Went full changes, but no permanent ones to the germline, so we have a back door if the **** hits the fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    It depends really, obviously its plain common sense to use any advantage over dangerous sicknesses etc that we may find, but it just take one person to **** it up and we all grow piggy tails.

I'll have a good look at the poll options again and decide eventually.
    Well, if we can make changes to the germline, we can unmake them too . But if the genes are out in the population, they become harder to eradicate after a couple hundred years.

I don't think it would be like everyone getting stuck with pig tails type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Well, if we can make changes to the germline, we can unmake them too . But if the genes are out in the population, they become harder to eradicate after a couple hundred years.

I don't think it would be like everyone getting stuck with pig tails type of thing.
    I like to exaggerate.

Well that sounds safer but still atm I'd prefer a way out if things go wrong, there's always a chance.

Yea, I do think thats a fair enough position. There could be an effect from a gene that we don't know, and won't for a while. Especially when mixing and matching all sorts of genes. And if the particular change doesn't manifest itself for a long time, by that time, it could be very widespread and very hard to eradicate. I think its a legitimate concern and thats why I put it as an option for every choice. As I said before, most scientists, as of right now, don't support germline changes for that reason.

Me, well, **** happens, I want to see gamma rays, hear x-rays, smell dark matter....cylon style.

Hear X-Rays?

As for me, I half want that LHC to blow up and make a black hole, least we get to see one then.

That line was from Battlestar Galactica.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    That line was from Battlestar Galactica.
    Right, don't watch it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information