Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Malaysia

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Was wondering whether any folks on CW had been there or nearby Singapore and their experiences of it.

The reason I'm curious is I've a couple of huge Scrabble tournaments I'll be attending in Johor Bahru, Malaysia during late November and early December. The first one is the World Championships where I'll be representing England, that has a US$15,000 first prize and takes place of 4 days. Shortly after there's an event called the Causeway Scrabble Challenge which if I get invited to the Masters division (I'd have to slip right down the rankings to not be invited - there's an Open division I could enter anyway) is held over 5 days with a US$20,000 first prize. Malaysia/Singapore is a very long way from England so I'll obviously want a few days at least to recover from the jetlag. I'm not tied down to work commitments so that's not an issue for me either, if it's worth me staying over somewhere a bit longer or whatever then I'll probably do that.
    Mate of mine is from Malaysia, if you're interested in having a chat with him I could arrange it.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Gah, Scaly. Get out there and soak it in, get out of your comfort zone. Different =/= bad.
    Agreed. Open mind Scaly

Btw, how's the international scrabble going?
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Next time you're there, go to Orchard Towers and tell the girls I said hi.

Love Singapore and Malaysia. The food and the places are amazing. 16toS is right to suggest you be careful with the water and food tho, especially if you've nt been to that part of the world before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    LOL, oh dear Matt.
    16toS is right to suggest you be careful with the water and food tho, especially if you've nt been to that part of the world before.
    Not Singapore though, obviously.

They make their own water heh.
    Last edited by Jono; 23-11-2009 at 03:15 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Agree with andy and Jono in regards to getting outside your comfort zone Scaly.

Get in amongst it all.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    LOL, oh dear Matt.
    Be sure and ask for a kotoi

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Mate of mine is from Malaysia, if you're interested in having a chat with him I could arrange it.
    It's okay, there are a fair few from Malaysia, Thailand etc. here now.

Getting out of my 'comfort zone' doesn't work in the respect people are talking about here. I know what food I like and don't like. Can't really just wander about far without it being a total pain in the arse - it's such a police state. I could quite happily have a wander about the bit of forest/peninsula bit just outside my window, but it's all blocked off to help prevent smuggling. I'll be sticking with tours and such with other folk I think, albeit there's not a great deal around here anyway according to other people.

Put some photos up here earlier:

Picasa Web Albums - dark_elf_1998

First event starts on Thursday morning. Although there's a gala dinner tomorrow which we're recommended to wear 'national dress' for - whatever the hell that is (I doubt I'll be obliging).
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Hmm I don't like chewing gum anyway.

I know there's a shopping centre in Johor Bahru, was wondering about what sort of food there'll be I can get. I'm kinda hyper-sensitive and very fussy so I'm not going near any spicy food or anything with a strong smell (fish & chips or curry are absolutely revolting to me) and prefer fairly bland/simple stuff like toast, sausage rolls, pork pies, bacon, sarnies etc. I think both tourneys are held in the Zon Regency Hotel, so I'll likely be staying there for the best part of a fortnight. Will definitely end up in Singapore, any flight I get will be to/from there.
    Singapore and Malaysia are both famous for having some of the best food in the world

Do yourself a favour and expand your horizons

Edit - others have beaten me to it
    Last edited by social; 24-11-2009 at 01:06 AM.

Love Singapore and Malaysia. The food and the places are amazing. 16toS is right to suggest you be careful with the water and food tho, especially if you've nt been to that part of the world before.
    Aaah, the famous "Four floors of ...."

Felt like 24 hours going from the airport and into Malaysia. None of the road users seem too bothered about the constant mortal danger they encounter, that includes policemen who are stood in the middle of road ushering the traffic to fly past them at 50+ mph.
    You will love Vietnam then.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Felt like 24 hours going from the airport and into Malaysia. None of the road users seem too bothered about the constant mortal danger they encounter, that includes policemen who are stood in the middle of road ushering the traffic to fly past them at 50+ mph.
    hope you one day come to India...
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    You will love Vietnam then.
    Haha the first time I crossed the road in Vietnam was one of the craziest experiences in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Haha the first time I crossed the road in Vietnam was one of the craziest experiences in my life.
    So is the traffic. Although I have heard India is even worse

I can never understand people who go to foreign countries that have a different culture to their own, but don't won't to get try the local food or interact or do much. I remember being in town when the Norn Iron football team were playing away to Latvia in 2007 and all the Norn Iron fans that I saw were just hanging around the Irish pubs. Why? You have a thousand of them back in your homeland. If you want your trip to be like home, then you should stay at home.

Pinball Champion!

I can never understand people who go to foreign countries that have a different culture to their own, but don't won't to get try the local food or interact or do much. I remember being in town when the Norn Iron football team were playing away to Latvia in 2007 and all the Norn Iron fans that I saw were just hanging around the Irish pubs. Why? You have a thousand of them back in your homeland. If you want your trip to be like home, then you should stay at home.
    Yeah definitely with this.. I remember taking a group of people out in the Karoo for them to be met with huge disapproval when they got back to the lodge for daring to speak, let alone go for a day trip with someone here.. Ironically they were all English and I even found out I was from the same town as one of them..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Err yea because getting food poisoning or just generally being sick would be a really good thing when I've got the two biggest tournaments of my life. As soon as is feasible I'll be having a wander about the small patch of forest (or as close as I can get with all the anti-smuggling fences) and having a closer look at the wildlife and so on. That is what interests me, not nauseating food - I couldn't give a **** if it's Chinese, Malay, Indian, fish and chips or whatever I ain't going near something that turns my stomach within 10 paces of it or/and looks like regurgitated dog turd. Culture is massively over-rated as far as I'm concerned. You either like something or you don't, confirming my hate for other foods isn't going to enrich my life.

Anyways finished 8th ($700) in the World Championships. Couldn't have done much better with what I had (particularly the start where I got complete ****). I didn't bugger any wins up, didn't play any live game phonies. The only obvious thing I could have done better was increase my spread (4th to 8th had won the same number of games, but my points difference was the worst of the five).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information