Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Malaysia

International Debutant Evermind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    I wouldn't want to go to any country where chewing gum is illegal.. Not that I'm hecticly into chewing gum, but it seems that the fun police have total control over Singapore, the place strikes me as being incredibly sterile, maybe I'm wrong
    Selling chewing gum is illegal - actually chewing it is not.

Oral sex is also illegal - unless it is used as foreplay before sexual intercourse, in which case it is legal.

Singapore inherited its legal code from the British, so it's hardly surprising that the laws are obscure, illogical and plain hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Was wondering whether any folks on CW had been there or nearby Singapore and their experiences of it.

I've lived in Singapore for the past 15 years or thereabouts. What do you want to know? There's lots of stuff to do here if you have the money.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam View Post

My impression was of an autocratic nightmare where independent thought is frowned upon, independent action is usually criminal, where it's a citizen's duty to do very little other than work and consume, where virtually all culture is imported and where a dearth of natural resources of any kind means that practically everything is artificial. I've heard Singapore described as "Disneyland with the death penalty". Couldn't be more apt IMO.
    Jesus, so what is the crime like, nonexistant? Do they censor stuff there? It sounds a bit like Dubai.. Will rather stick to my crime ridden yet insanely fun patch of Africa.. I'd love to go to Malaysia though, a part of the world I have no idea about at all
    Last edited by Langeveldt; 24-02-2009 at 11:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Hmm I don't like chewing gum anyway.

I know there's a shopping centre in Johor Bahru, was wondering about what sort of food there'll be I can get. I'm kinda hyper-sensitive and very fussy so I'm not going near any spicy food or anything with a strong smell (fish & chips or curry are absolutely revolting to me) and prefer fairly bland/simple stuff like toast, sausage rolls, pork pies, bacon, sarnies etc. I think both tourneys are held in the Zon Regency Hotel, so I'll likely be staying there for the best part of a fortnight. Will definitely end up in Singapore, any flight I get will be to/from there.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Jesus, so what is the crime like, nonexistant? Do they censor stuff there? It sounds a bit like Dubai.. Will rather stick to my crime ridden yet insanely fun patch of Africa.. I'd love to go to Malaysia though, a part of the world I have no idea about at all
    Crime is pretty much nonexistent. They do censor stuff, but it's nowhere as bad as Dubai. The important thing to realise is that it's not an authoritarian government in the religious sense. The clubs get pretty wild - just no drugs.

As long as you keep away from drugs and political speech, anything goes.

Malaysia is like a poor man's Singapore. If you really want to visit a fun, truly Asian place with all the messy culture and madness, India would be a much better option. Malaysia is kinda neither here nor there.

I know there's a shopping centre in Johor Bahru, was wondering about what sort of food there'll be I can get. I'm kinda hyper-sensitive and very fussy so I'm not going near any spicy food or anything with a strong smell (fish & chips or curry are absolutely revolting to me) and prefer fairly bland/simple stuff like toast, sausage rolls, pork pies, bacon, sarnies etc. I think both tourneys are held in the Zon Regency Hotel, so I'll likely be staying there for the best part of a fortnight. Will definitely end up in Singapore, any flight I get will be to/from there.
    Good luck with food in Malaysia. It's generally spicy and oily and very strong. I would recommend eating in the Hotel as much as possible.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evermind View Post
    Crime is pretty much nonexistent. They do censor stuff, but it's nowhere as bad as Dubai. The important thing to realise is that it's not an authoritarian government in the religious sense. The clubs get pretty wild - just no drugs.

As long as you keep away from drugs and political speech, anything goes.

Malaysia is like a poor man's Singapore. If you really want to visit a fun, truly Asian place with all the messy culture and madness, India would be a much better option. Malaysia is kinda neither here nor there.
    China, ftw.

And Scaly, half the fun in going to a place is eating the food there, get stuck in IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    China, ftw.
    China = authoritarian, puerile government which completely destroyed its own culture. FTL.

I wouldn't want to go to any country where chewing gum is illegal.. Not that I'm hecticly into chewing gum, but it seems that the fun police have total control over Singapore, the place strikes me as being incredibly sterile, maybe I'm wrong
    Yeah you're wrong.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Coach biased indian's Avatar

don't think you will get that in Malaysia
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

Visited Singapore. Superb place. Easy and safe travel with very good 24 hour taxi facility. In 3 days, you can cover the entire Singapore. I loved the place so much, I am considering visiting again before my 2 year VISA expires.

Felt like 24 hours going from the airport and into Malaysia. None of the road users seem too bothered about the constant mortal danger they encounter, that includes policemen who are stood in the middle of road ushering the traffic to fly past them at 50+ mph.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Gah, Scaly. Get out there and soak it in, get out of your comfort zone. Different =/= bad.

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evermind View Post
    Oral sex is also illegal - unless it is used as foreplay before sexual intercourse, in which case it is legal.
    I think that Scaly can stay on the right side of that particular law, but my understanding of the local law is that man on man is a bit frowned upon?
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information