Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been dead....

Banned

Have you ever been dead....

... in your dreams?

I am trying hard to think.... but don't remember instances.

Have you ever experienced death in your dreams?

Or had Near Death Experiences in your life?

The latter I have had. Once when I met with a near fatal accident, then a drowning,

Two drownings. One where I woke up from a dream in which I was drowning to find that I was completely out of breath, and a real-life one where I capsized with my kayak and couldn't roll back or free myself. Instructor pulled me out after a few seconds but that was the one time I really thought I'd had it.
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Never personally, but my late father suffered from chronic cardiomyopathy for the last 13 years of his life, so his ticker was very dodgy TSTL and one time he was "dead" for six minutes before the paramedics restarted his heartbeat. He was placed in a drug induced coma and we were warned that their could be brain damage because he'd been without oxygen for so long, but happily he was (mentally) right as rain when he came out of it.

Reckoned he saw nothing ftr, no tunnels or bright lights.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    From what I've read, every time you're about to die in your dreams, you wake up. It's because your brain can't replicate the circumstances of death in the same way it can replicate everything else you do, because it's never experienced death before.

This means that in theory, if you died in your dreams, you would die in real life, because your brain would shut down in just the same way it does when you die. Obviously this is impossible, however, meaning that when your brain reaches the point when it would have to shut down to continue the dream experience, it wakes you up instead.

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    On a somewhat related note, in early 2007 I had a random episode of something called "HANDL Sydrome" (apparently it is pretty rare and tbh I don't think the doctors were 100% sure that that's what it was).

On my first night in hospital apparently the doctors came up with about 6 different diagnoses, the "best" would have seen me a vegetable for the rest of my life.

Within 48 hours I was more or less back to normal, 72 hours I was back home. Rather odd.

It was an interesting insight into suffering from mental illness/brain injury that leaves you physically ruined but still functioning mentally though....and also into that scary thought that you might become "trapped" in your own body and the people around you might not realise you're still "in there"......I was still able to perceive what was going on around me but I couldn't really think straight, couldn't produce coherent thoughts, and couldn't speak- yet on a more basic level I was 100% aware of what was going on around me and can still remember it.

The only time I have 'died' was after eating far too many hash cakes.

I ended up having to take a taxi as I was in the city and the driver turned into God but in my mums voice.

At the start I kept on reliving all the good things in life very, very quickly like a powerpoint presentation where a new page/photo/new situation comes up every second, but then it was decided my fault that I died too early, I was stuck with just stupid situations that had happened in my life and they were shown way slower then the good times, like they were almost stuck and I just had to sit there and thought I was going to watch it for eternity.

Then I woke up and it did freak me out for a couple of weeks I have got to say. NOFAN of hash cakes tbh.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Synchronicity! I had a dire dream last night!

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    From what I've read, every time you're about to die in your dreams, you wake up. It's because your brain can't replicate the circumstances of death in the same way it can replicate everything else you do, because it's never experienced death before.
    About two years ago I had a dream involving plummeting to supposed death slipping off the top of a buddist temple situated on top of a cliff. As you mention I was falling came to a realisation I would be dying and then suddenly woke up. Was a pretty cool experience in the end and led to a great day all-round.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    The only time I have 'died' was after eating far too many hash cakes.

I ended up having to take a taxi as I was in the city and the driver turned into God but in my mums voice.

At the start I kept on reliving all the good things in life very, very quickly like a powerpoint presentation where a new page/photo/new situation comes up every second, but then it was decided my fault that I died too early, I was stuck with just stupid situations that had happened in my life and they were shown way slower then the good times, like they were almost stuck and I just had to sit there and thought I was going to watch it for eternity.

Then I woke up and it did freak me out for a couple of weeks I have got to say. NOFAN of hash cakes tbh.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steulen View Post
    Two drownings. One where I woke up from a dream in which I was drowning to find that I was completely out of breath
    Yeah funnily enough I had the exact same thing on the occasion I "drowned" in a dream. I wonder if the out-of-breathness is the cause of the drowning or the other way around?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Reserve those for your own obit son.

Banned
    Bloody hell.

Just went for a half hour sleep and had a particularly garish dream at the end of which I ended up being a vegetable. And the entire world became black, even though I could sense I was out of the dream, and knew I was sleeping, yet could not open my eyes. I could sense however sounds and people moving around, yet could not move any part of my body an inch, and however hard I tried could not open my eyes.

I decided, what a stupid waste of life to go at this time of all times! And accepted my fate and laid still. Suddenly I could open my eyes and I lay in cold sweat. I tell you, never felt so good in my life to be alive. Not even after my first I felt so good. FFS, what the **** was I thinking when I tried my hand at suicide and missed narrowly in my teens. ****ing **** me.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    The thing with 'shock' effect dreams is that they can often be related to a situation in your life in some way. I always look at dream dictionary after a vivid dream just to see if the glove fits.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I love the analysis on that site. It's like Freud, sounds genius when you first hear it, but it's just something someone decided to mak eup.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

99*
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post

This means that in theory, if you died in your dreams, you would die in real life, because your brain would shut down in just the same way it does when you die. Obviously this is impossible, however, meaning that when your brain reaches the point when it would have to shut down to continue the dream experience, it wakes you up instead.
    Yep, happened to me in a dream, I was in a car and some guy came to carjack it pulled out a gun and shot. Woke up thinking "what the ****" was that.

Of course I always get the falling dream as well, ends the same way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey
    She tells me the thing will flatten out, I say "Like your chest?" Bad mistake.

International Captain
    As has been stated, you can't die in your dreams - but all your teeth can fall out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information