View Poll Results: Have you ever thoughtabout immigrating?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 64.86%
  • No

12 32.43%
  • Yes we can!

1 2.70%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Have you/ will you immigrate?

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    Yeah, left the family in Sydney so not locked down to anything except the woman right now. This is way too big an opportunity for me to turn down I'm thinking.

Condolences for your mates, where do you work? I know a few guys from Uni and High School who are on the bench right now too and are struggling big time getting back in the game. All grads with good marks in Uni too.
    I'm at WorleyParsons mate, on Collins Street in Melbourne. Yeah, it was a tough situation for the guys and girls who have been let go. Basically, they were booking all their time on overheads and didn't have any real 'project' work to book for so they were asked to leave.

I've been fortunate enough to be working on a really intense project the last few months as basically the Project Engineer on the job. Basically they were booking all their time to the company overhead and they got the awful tap on the shoulder and said it was time to go.

However, our project finishes officially at the end of May. However, there may be some follow up work after the project is finished. But you know, in today's climate you've got to expect that someday it'll be you who gets the news.

So take what you can mate, even if it is for a short period of time. You'll be a lot more sought after with that international experience. What does your girlfriend think of all this? Would she come along too? How about your parents? I mean Sydney and Melbourne is not a big move, but London is a pretty huge move.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Haha, heard the curries in Manchester are better than anywhere else. Will have to make the pilgrimage when I'm over there.
    I have been to a Halal Kebab shop in Manchester, wasn't bad either.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

As has been said, duffer would be silly not to take this offer whilst you have it.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Haha, heard the curries in Manchester are better than anywhere else. Will have to make the pilgrimage when I'm over there.
    Not sure it automatically cracks the top 3.

Bradford and Birmingham would generally be considered to top that list and there are others that would challenge Manchester.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

cpr
    The quality down the curry mile in Rusholme is pretty damn high, purely because the sheer amount of competition demands it.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    I'm at WorleyParsons mate, on Collins Street in Melbourne. Yeah, it was a tough situation for the guys and girls who have been let go. Basically, they were booking all their time on overheads and didn't have any real 'project' work to book for so they were asked to leave.

I've been fortunate enough to be working on a really intense project the last few months as basically the Project Engineer on the job. Basically they were booking all their time to the company overhead and they got the awful tap on the shoulder and said it was time to go.

However, our project finishes officially at the end of May. However, there may be some follow up work after the project is finished. But you know, in today's climate you've got to expect that someday it'll be you who gets the news.

So take what you can mate, even if it is for a short period of time. You'll be a lot more sought after with that international experience. What does your girlfriend think of all this? Would she come along too? How about your parents? I mean Sydney and Melbourne is not a big move, but London is a pretty huge move.
    Parents would be fine with it man, girlfriend I'm not sure. She just graduated and started working this year so it would really be a depends at the time thing for her. Just think for me it's too huge a chance to turn down especially as England is a place I always wanted to spend some time in.

Shame to hear about the circumstances over at WP. I think it's just a case of looking for extra responsibilities and trying to upskill and retool while you do have a job and hope it makes you indispensable as an employee.

You sourcing out other projects to go to after this one ends?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Being that I want a career in aviation, would think an international move is inevitable. Quite prepared to do it too.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Have already immigrated. They say no place is like your home, and as much as as I miss home, US is my Karma Bhoomi, which has gotten the best out of my very limited talent and is the birth place of my two children. I would hate to go anywhere else now.

So I have already immigrated once, but would not like to do so again.

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Parents would be fine with it man, girlfriend I'm not sure. She just graduated and started working this year so it would really be a depends at the time thing for her. Just think for me it's too huge a chance to turn down especially as England is a place I always wanted to spend some time in.

Shame to hear about the circumstances over at WP. I think it's just a case of looking for extra responsibilities and trying to upskill and retool while you do have a job and hope it makes you indispensable as an employee.

You sourcing out other projects to go to after this one ends?
    I have been talking to my manager and he's pretty optimistic of more follow up project work coming along once we meet our deadline. A lot of it will be follow up, maintenance and co-ordination work of the project we are currently working on. There will be work and hopefully it will last long, but really you can't say at this stage.

Hope everything works out for you mate. I'm sure things at IBM in Melbourne are good, so if you don't end up taking the opportunity you still have something here to continue on with. If you do end up taking it, then I wish you the best of luck because I'm sure you'll learn heaps and come back as a better professional.

Thought I'd bump this one. Had an offer to London blow through which I mentioned earlier but finally bit the bullet and jumped overseas. Loving it so far, being anonymous, living a good life, meeting new people and trying new things.

Anyone else thinking of doing thhe same? Anyone else chicken out of a move? Glad I said yes tbh.

If/when Tony Abbott becomes PM

Nah seriously I haven't, and if I did it won't happen for another 10 years or something.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

International Coach
    Didn't appeal to me in 09, still doesn't now, and the reasons are pretty similar. Aside from England being one of the few countries where my means of making a living is legally tax free, there's nothing wrong with it anyway, other than it being full of people moaning about it for no apparent reason.

I'd also find leaving friends/family behind considerably harder than it seems many people in this thread do, to the point where I just don't want to do it at all.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Tournaments Won: 1
    The only places I'd really consider are England and NZ - in theory Aus and USA would be "considerable" but I don't reckon I could live with obnoxious Americans or....Australians

It'd be nice to visit my Sydney family some time in the future though.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    If/when Tony Abbott becomes PM
    Legitimately this. I will find a way to move my Uni course to South Africa or something, just to get away from that ****ing idiot.

Apart from Abbott, I doubt I would be tempted to immigrate at any point. I wouldn't want to leave Australia.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Legitimately this. I will find a way to move my Uni course to South Africa or something, just to get away from that ****ing idiot.

Apart from Abbott, I doubt I would be tempted to immigrate at any point. I wouldn't want to leave Australia.
    Do it.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information