Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu : the best distro for dummies?

Banned

Ubuntu : the best distro for dummies?

Hi,

I am a dummy when it comes to trying out OSes different from Windows. However I would like to experience one, and understand why they are so talked about.

A cursory glance over some websites and tutorials led me to believe that Ubuntu is the best distro of Linux to start with, particularly for dummies.

I also understand that there is a parallel KDE based Kubuntu available as well.

So, please suggest me which is the better distro, or is there anything which is better than Ubuntu altogether?

If you're not going to program then just use Windows.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Hey mate, as your into film and stuff you should look at the ol' Mac. Certainly the best for film editing.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Hey mate, as your into film and stuff you should look at the ol' Mac. Certainly the best for film editing.
    Certainly. I did some base research and found how useful Mac has been. But as of now my hands are full with my work and my PG. So atleast 2 years before I plunge into films and stuff seriously.

As DCYE said, might as well consider it later as I am not using it to program anyway. But I remain interested and intrigued though.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Well if you aren't going to program (as Smitteh noted) and plan to delve in films at a later date.

Mac's work.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Ubuntu is based on Debian, so it has a solid base. It's probably the best one to start off with.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Yeah ubuntu is the way to go for someone's first Linux distro. But basically what Smith said.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    If you're not going to program then just use Windows.
    DWTA. I use Ubuntu on two of my machines (the other's a Mac) and, tbh, there are very few default coding tools anyway. It was easier than Windows to install video codecs and keep them up-to-date as well as being at least equally easy on a bunch of other things.

The bug issues comes from hardware support. You do still have to get to know your distro a bit to tool around installing some boutique hardware but generally, it supports most vid cards out of the box.

Games, however, are a different matter entirely...... but one thing's for sure, there's nothing I can do in Windows I can't do in Ubuntu (other than games). And, I might add, there are a bunch of things which are simpler. Windows definitely looks far better, though.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    DWTA. I use Ubuntu on two of my machines (the other's a Mac) and, tbh, there are very few default coding tools anyway. It was easier than Windows to install video codecs and keep them up-to-date as well as being at least equally easy on a bunch of other things.

The bug issues comes from hardware support. You do still have to get to know your distro a bit to tool around installing some boutique hardware but generally, it supports most vid cards out of the box.

Games, however, are a different matter entirely...... but one thing's for sure, there's nothing I can do in Windows I can't do in Ubuntu (other than games). And, I might add, there are a bunch of things which are simpler. Windows definitely looks far better, though.
    So which one is better? Kubuntu or Ubuntu or the underrated Xubuntu? I've placed order for Kubuntu and Ubuntu, as my bandwidth charges don;t allow me to download huge chunks, (which in one way I imposed upon myself to get out of watching pr0n).

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!

Windows looks better than Ubuntu? I beg to differ. You tried out Compiz? Astonishing beauty there.

I have just installed Ubuntu on an old PC I had with some old hardware and it runs so much smoother than Windows. I just have a little audio problem, if anyone is knowledgeable I'd appreciate the help!

If you want a computer that "just works" and is simple but powerful...get a Mac.
    ★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    Hi,

I am a dummy
    Stopped reading after this point.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Banned
    Good one.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Get Enlightenment, looks awesome (to me anyway).

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    So which one is better? Kubuntu or Ubuntu or the underrated Xubuntu? I've placed order for Kubuntu and Ubuntu, as my bandwidth charges don;t allow me to download huge chunks, (which in one way I imposed upon myself to get out of watching pr0n).
    Depends on so many things but my advice would be to try them all, it's not hard (althought not without some effort) to install one then change the window manager. I notice Lunus himself has moved away from KDE because he didn't like changes in the new version so take from that what you will. Gnome, used in Ubuntu, was always about functionality over bling. KDE was more about the bling and heaps of apps, XFCE is one of the many, many light window managers.

Just bear in mind, the look of the distro in Linux is nothing but the window manager and associated applications. The guts of the system is the same (largely) for all of them.

Myself I use Ubuntu but Kbuntu looked reasonable last time I tried it. I once installed Xubuntu on a low-end machine and it was pretty solid too. Bit too much work to administer, though, and it was for lack of time I stopped using Slackware anyway so didn't see the point in installing an OS I'd have to even moderately administer. So Ubuntu it was for me. Just watch out for the full system upgrade; Canonical still don't have that right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Windows looks better than Ubuntu? I beg to differ. You tried out Compiz? Astonishing beauty there.
    I remember giving it a try aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages ago but just had a quick look and it does look speccy. Might have to give it another go.

I have just installed Ubuntu on an old PC I had with some old hardware and it runs so much smoother than Windows. I just have a little audio problem, if anyone is knowledgeable I'd appreciate the help!
    Details/logs si vous plais?

If you want a computer that "just works" and is simple but powerful...get a Mac.
    Got one and it's had its fair share of app and system crashes although I'm happy with it overall. The myth that Macs 'just work' is just that. There's no BSOD, of course, but if you use an app which isn't terribly resource-hungry like, say, Garage Band, running any other bit of software even as light as a web browser is a bit of a nightmare. No swap file is a bit of a disadvantage there because of the RAM limit, in my case, 1.25Gb.

Mac don't do audio software as well as they used to, either. So many engineers don't use Macs any more, preferring Windows + Cubase instead of the usual Mac + Pro Tools.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Get Enlightenment, looks awesome (to me anyway).
    Most guys I know who spruik Enlightenment are also RPG players. Nerds, the lot of ya.

Most guys I know who spruik Enlightenment are also RPG players. Nerds, the lot of ya.
    Might give it a try....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information