Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7

Banned

Windows 7

Anyone started using it?

Welcome to Windows 7

Windows 7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From what I read, it is a good upgrade from Vista.

Waiting for Windows 8.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Yes, used it. Got rid of it. It was crashing a lot. Didn't mind that as it was beta, but I wasn't impressed with the features.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Haven't tried it. From the videos on the website, it looks (not just the interface, but features) much better than Vista. However, I think Microsoft is still trying to give more like a Mac OS X feel, and as long as they don't find something individual and very good, there will always be converts to either Mac or Linux.
    "The optimum human population of earth is zero." - Dave Foreman

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    I personally don't use Windows on any of my computers at home (got one Mac lappie, an eeepc and desktop with Ubuntu Linux installed on both) but my housemate has Vista on his laptop. It's not a very high-spec laptop, even for the time (a core-dup chip, I believe, with about half a gig of RAM) and Vista absolutely smokes on it. Was really very surprised with the speed and stability. Driver support, running older software, etc. were all problems, though. So if Windows 7 improves on that, could be a decent OS to run.

Mind you, the whole concept of building and running an OS has taken quantum leaps in the past 8 years or so. It's quite difficult to find an OS which doesn't have its ducks in a row, so to speak. Really, the choice between OS's comes down to personal preference and philosophy these days. It's certainly not like the past when you had, say, a clear choice between AmigaOS (no memory protection but great for multimedia) and DOS (business platform). OS's are much, much better at being all things to all people.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Banned
    A few guys in another forum says it's much better than Vista. The entire installation takes only about 25 minutes, and is not as resource-hungry as Vista. Also, the annoying (even though I like it) UAC (User Account Control) is replaced with a much intelligent Action control.

I like playing around with Enlightenment a lot. I did some coding for it at one time, to add some features I wanted. But now, unfortunately, I am starting to get real deep into studies, so I can't spend a lot of time foolign with Linux, and I need to use Windows for school and research.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I like playing around with Enlightenment a lot. I did some coding for it at one time, to add some features I wanted. But now, unfortunately, I am starting to get real deep into studies, so I can't spend a lot of time foolign with Linux, and I need to use Windows for school and research.
    Do you have specific software you need like Matlab, etc.? If it's just online stuff, your school shouldn't have any issues with *.buntu Linux's. It's pretty solid too. The main issues I've had with Ubuntu for the last couple of years have been hardware-related (my wireless card wasn't supported so had to do some tooling around to get it working).

Well, the tablet pc support for linux is lacking, and there is no sofrware that approaches one note. That's the biggest thing that stops me. I wrote a hack for myself and inserted it into the kernel that fixed pen issue, but the software, and especially handwriting recognition software is pretty poor on linux. I tried doing it on Wine, but it got poor results as I expected it would.

I prefer Slackware, by the way. But I've tried Ubuntu. Actually, my ideal OS is FreeBSD, but you can forget about that with a tablet.

Ah, tablet PC. Yep, fully compute on that score, man. No need to say any more! Nice work on getting a kernel submission, though. That's genuine qualification for super-nerd status. And, yes, WINE sucks.

I'm a Slack man myself, Ubuntu is just easy to administer. Hmmmm, your favourite book is Catch-22, you're a science nerd and you prefer Slackware. I thought I only had one twin.....

Haha, I did it myself, I never submitted any code officially. Alas, I no longer have the time for programming (focusing on my science research and studies), so the super-nerd status must be achieved through some other means.

Well, you're also a fellow atheist, enjoy science and seem to have a multitude of career/interests - exactly like me. So yea, it's a bit weird.

Pinball Champion!
    If I ever see my computer again it will be one of the first things I install on it
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Gonna stick with Windows XP for the next 5 years at least, 7 just looks like a bunch of hooha with features no average user will use.

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Can't wait to get 7 TBH. Skipped Vista though.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    upgrading is only possible from Vista rite others u have to put as fresh installation i think
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information