Thread: Elegant Universe

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar

Elegant Universe

Has anyone watched this?

It does an awesome job of explaining modern physics that's very easy to understand (and with a lot of special effects). Has anyone else watched it?

I have some issues with String Theory, but the program is extremely well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Yeah, our physics lecturer showed it to us in first year. I found it very interesting, and most concepts were easy enough to understand and well-illustrated. I didn't know it was available online, might watch some parts again now

I actually had the entire series downloaded onto my HDD last year. Unfortunately the disk crashed before I was halfway through it. It did a good job of simplifying the concepts involved.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    I actually had the entire series downloaded onto my HDD last year. Unfortunately the disk crashed before I was halfway through it. It did a good job of simplifying the concepts involved.
    Was it aired on Discovery?

Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    Was it aired on Discovery?
    Yeah, thats the one. I only caught a couple of episodes on air, which was what prompted me to download the entire series.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Would love to watch the, though I think my computer would have a heart attack if I tried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I have some issues with String Theory, but the program is extremely well done.
    RIP Craigos

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Pretty much. It hasn't made a single prediction that has not been made by existing theories. When asked to make a prediction, they give scenarios so far beyond our current technological capabilities, that proof is doubtful to ever come by. If you don't make predictions that can be tested, it's not a valid theory.

It certainly could be true, and the math is extremely elegant. In fact, I'd say it's probably very true, but it's still a hypothesis, not a theory. I don't have a PhD in math, and even I could come up with elegant looking equations that tie things together, but that doesn't mean they have a basis in reality. Math is deductive, most of science is inductive. You can come up with equations using deduction, but then they have to match the data, and if they don't, your deduction is based on faulty assumptions, and you must go back.

Not implying String Theory is like that, but until it makes testable predictions, a lot of intellectual horsepower might be going to waste (all new Theoretical Physics PhD's pretty much focus on it these days).

Thread Information