View Poll Results: Your Favourite Music Format?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vinyl

3 9.38%
  • CD

7 21.88%
  • Cassette

1 3.13%
  • Mini-disc

1 3.13%
  • mp3 and other similar

19 59.38%
  • Phoenix Fire

1 3.13%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Preferred Music Listening Format

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

Your Preferred Music Listening Format

Am currently listening to some records. I always used to be quite sceptical about the whole "records sound better" theory but I have succumbed, I much prefer listening to music on vinyl as it sounds that bit better.

That being said, other factors have to be considered; I can't exactly listen to my Dig Out Your Soul or Chinese Demorcacy LPs on the train to work, and I can't put my records on if I'm busy doing other things whilst listening to the music because of the fact that I will have to turn them over etc.

Not a huge fan of downloaded music, I am a bit of a saddo who likes the artwork etc and also having a new album in my hands is always exciting. But this is another area where LPs come into their own; the artwork looks more impressive and you feel you have bought something more substantial. I read an interview with some geezer from some band once, he was ranting about CDs and saying "how the **** could you love this?" He may have a point, I dunno

Anyway, for me it's vinyl. I don't have anywhere near as many records as I do CDs (basically have a few GNR & Oasis albums and boots, a couple of Beatles LPs then a whole load of GNR, Oasis & Motley 7" & 12" singles) but if I own an album on both CD and LP and am just going to sit and listen to it then I will put the LP on, no question.

Thoughts?
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I think vinyl sounds better too. But maybe that's just because it's slightly different.

Can't beat mp3 players for their convenience though. You can lie in bed, hook it up to some speakers and hear any song in the world that you take a fancy for at the touch of a button.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Went CD, mainly because I haven't had a working MP3 player for a few years, and am to tight to bo and buy a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Vinyl every day of the week.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

cpr
    Gone for MP3.

Nowt against Vinyl, probably prefer it over CD, dunno but you can just 'feel' the music more through it (thinking old albums though, where production wasnt always glossed to hell, so its probably less so the disc material that does that). CD convienient and ease are great.

However, whenever i can i'll listen to music through headphones. Would do when driving if it was legal. My hearing isnt the greatest (least i dont think it is, probably just paranoia due to my dads hearing loss, convincing myself i'm getting it too), find through headphones/earphones you hear so much more depth and discover so many different layers to songs that you just cant pick up through speakers.

Gone MP3 then because my ipod has become my main music method, for the reason above and the convenience of having all i want on it
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Awta.

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I think vinyl has more warmth and depth to its sound than digital formats, but I've invested so much time and money in CDs over the years I feel obliged to stand by my man now.

Agree with cpr about headphones tho. When you're listening to an artist who fully utilise stereo (Jimi Hendrix & Spiritualized are two examples off the top of my head, probably because I've listened to albums of both on my "cans" walking to work in the last week) headphones totally change the sound of the song. Voodoo Chile and Crosstown Traffic become almost religious experiences.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Using my iPod just for the convenience of listening it where ever.

Prefer listening to music on my stereo because the actual quality of music is better, but as said before convenience is better.

Banned
    CD obviously.

However for sheer convenience, voted for MP3.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Have only ever listened to one vinyl album, and that's Dig Out Your Soul. Bought it as a collectors' edition. Loved the sound of it tbh. I don't really like downloading music, because I love buying cds, particularly when they're $9.99 at JB.

Cds for me.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Well, vinyls apparently sound 'warmer' (I haven't listened to many, though, so I can't really comment). However, there are those bloody clicks and they don't last for as long as CD's. In terms of convienience, mp3 easily wins. Based on that criteria, I'd vote for mp3 (and because you can edit the audio on mp3's easily).

CD's or 320 kbps mp3's. Any less than 256 kbps and I find myself straining to figure out what parts I'm missing rather than sitting back and enjoying the music.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    CD's or 320 kbps mp3's. Any less than 256 kbps and I find myself straining to figure out what parts I'm missing rather than sitting back and enjoying the music.
    256VBR is virtually lossless for all intents and purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    256VBR is virtually lossless for all intents and purposes.
    Didn't know that. The difference isn't apparent on playing them on the stereo or the PC, but its noticable on earphones. But then I'm the guy who once spent an entire afternoon installing half a dozen of the most popular music players on the PC and figuring out which sounded the best Could be all in my head.

EDIT: Does anyone know if there's a way of transferring songs from an Audio CD to a DVD without converting them to mp3's? The idea is to have the content of around 6 CD's on one DVD to listen to on the home theatre system.
    Last edited by G.I.Joe; 18-01-2009 at 04:33 AM.

Normal 256kpbs is noticably poor, but when ripped properly and in a variable biterate they're virtually lossless. If you want actual lossless music, start listening to .flac music.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information