View Poll Results: Your Favourite Music Format?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vinyl

3 9.38%
  • CD

7 21.88%
  • Cassette

1 3.13%
  • Mini-disc

1 3.13%
  • mp3 and other similar

19 59.38%
  • Phoenix Fire

1 3.13%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Preferred Music Listening Format

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Normal 256kpbs is noticably poor, but when ripped properly and in a variable biterate they're virtually lossless. If you want actual lossless music, start listening to .flac music.
    Yeah, I've heard pretty good things about the flac format. Its a pity my current portable player doesn't support that format, or I'd have gone down that route to build my collection.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    RE Headphones - I also love listening to music via headphones. In the days before everyone had mp3 players I used to spend about an hour listening to music from my stereo via headphones before going to sleep. Agree with Brumby about when bands utilise stereo properly; sometimes it's like you can feel the music moving from one earphone to the other. I think the Rolling Stones are one of the best bands for this personally.

Also, as much as I prefer vinyl I would never suggest I am going to start buying records instead of CDs. I will simply buy albums that my favourite bands release on both vinyl and CD, as well as completing my favourite band collections on vinyl. Some people think I'm a bit crazy spending my money that way, but meh, it's what I want
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Agree with Brumby about when bands utilise stereo properly; sometimes it's like you can feel the music moving from one earphone to the other.
    Yeah, that is awesome when bands use that.

Best bands i've heard that do that are the Arctic Monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Agree with Brumby about when bands utilise stereo properly; sometimes it's like you can feel the music moving from one earphone to the other.
    Always makes me wonder if my plugs are broken when playing particular songs where the music starts off in only one earphone and then moves on to the other and then both.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Didn't know that. The difference isn't apparent on playing them on the stereo or the PC, but its noticable on earphones. But then I'm the guy who once spent an entire afternoon installing half a dozen of the most popular music players on the PC and figuring out which sounded the best Could be all in my head.
    Or could be the graphic equalisers.

Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    Or could be the graphic equalisers.
    Fiddled around with those too. I was even anal enough to save screenshots of my equalizer settings in case I needed to reset them to sound exactly the same after a reformat.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I really like vinyl, but I don't listen to it a lot honestly. By far the most common for me is mp3s.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Perhaps one of the audiophiles here can explain why vinyl of new recordings (digitally recorded, say, on Pro Tools and digitally mastered in same) should sound any different to the same recording played on a CD or sufficiently high bitrate non-physical media?

Vinyl pressings of analogue recordings mastered with analogue compressors sounding better than digitisation of said old recordings, that I get (digitisation is, obviously, an approximation of the original sound waves). But surely bands who record digitally but release their recordings on vinyl is nothing but a marketing ploy?
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Banned
    Downloaded FLAC ripper... ripped an Audio CD. Too big files imho. Quality is superb though.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Perhaps one of the audiophiles here can explain why vinyl of new recordings (digitally recorded, say, on Pro Tools and digitally mastered in same) should sound any different to the same recording played on a CD or sufficiently high bitrate non-physical media?

Vinyl pressings of analogue recordings mastered with analogue compressors sounding better than digitisation of said old recordings, that I get (digitisation is, obviously, an approximation of the original sound waves). But surely bands who record digitally but release their recordings on vinyl is nothing but a marketing ploy?
    Look, I'm going to be honest, I have no technical expertise or anything. I just prefer the sound, it seems more direct, hard to explain really. Could all be in the mind, but plenty of people on the GNR forums have agreed that they prefer listening to the vinyl of Chinese Democracy.

Interestingly enough (or perhaps not) I was watching an old Axl Rose interview last week, from just before the UYI release, and he said he expected those albums to sound better on CD because that was what it was made for. UYI is one of my vinyl wants, seems easy enough to get hold of a mint-edition but not overly cheap, but will have to see if I agree with him or not when I get it

cpr
    Hmm, pretty sure i've got UYI I on vinyl here, dunno about the disc quality though

Edit
    --

Just checked, in good nick, amazing what you can find in charity shops
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Just checked, in good nick, amazing what you can find in charity shops
    Is that what they're call stores who stock Chinese Democracy?

Sorry Martyn, I couldn't resist. In all honesty I've only heard the one track you pointed in my direction.

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    However, whenever i can i'll listen to music through headphones. Would do when driving if it was legal.
    Is it not? I honestly never knew. I could see why it may not be a great idea but I didnt know it was illegal.

Deaf people can drive right?
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by DaRick View Post
    Well, vinyls apparently sound 'warmer' (I haven't listened to many, though, so I can't really comment). However, there are those bloody clicks and they don't last for as long as CD's. In terms of convienience, mp3 easily wins. Based on that criteria, I'd vote for mp3 (and because you can edit the audio on mp3's easily).
    What on earth are you talking about? Analog recordings will still be in perfect working order when digital ones will long have degraded.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information