Cricket Player Manager
Page 7 of 564 FirstFirst ... 567891757107507 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: You know what really grinds my gears? II

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    You know what's grinding my gears? The fact that nobody has given cpr **** for thinking this was the made/ruined thread
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Vice-Captain Linda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Depends on whether you have a proper degree or not.
    Um... no.

Anyway yeah its Interior Design as Jimbo said, which was booming about a year ago here... but now of course since Ive graduated, its slowed down to a slow jog. Im not even looking for a specific int des job, looking to get into the products and so on - its still a 'mare.

"I know I underperformed but after the past 18 months I thought I might have received more than four Test matches' grace."
    - DR Martyn.

"Is there any way to make it longer?"
    Peter English on Twenty20

Official Face of the v. hip 'Twenty20 Is Boring Society'

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    They're pretty useful if you want to work in relevant fields...

If you want to be a chef, perhaps not so much. On the other hand though, degrees in humanities that focus on research and communication skills probably have more benefit across a range of careers than, say, a degree in physics, which is only going to be of particular use in a small range of fields.

....agree here....my degree was Biochemistry,which as a science does have a broader use and benefit than say Physics,but still not as much across a range of careers as a degree in humanities...
    And I recall my fall from grace, another time another place..

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    Still think more jobs would be relevant to a sociology degree then a physics one was my point...so the "vast majority" would be in favour of the sociology and not the physics, despite their apparent ability to do both. Each to their own though.
    Quote Originally Posted by vogue View Post
    ....agree here....my degree was Biochemistry,which as a science does have a broader use and benefit than say Physics,but still not as much across a range of careers as a degree in humanities...
    Yeah, i would just say that in my experience a lot of employers would prefer a Physics degree over a humanities one, because Physics is so much more difficult. They'd have more faith in the intelligence of a Physics grad than a sociology one.

I don't have a lot to back this up. It's just personal experience really.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    They're pretty useful if you want to work in relevant fields...

If you want to be a chef, perhaps not so much. On the other hand though, degrees in humanities that focus on research and communication skills probably have more benefit across a range of careers than, say, a degree in physics, which is only going to be of particular use in a small range of fields.
    Well if you have a degree in Phsyics (for example), then the likelihood is that when searching for your first or second jobs, people are not going to turn you down, whatever field of work it is in. My parents know quite well somebody who is the head of human resources at a big Law firm in Leeds and they said that they don't really mind if you have any sort of science degree, they will take you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post

You're joking?
    Why would I be? If you are looking for a job, in say a newspaper, television/radio or film which is what I assume most people taking Media Studies are looking to do, you'd clearly be much better off doing a degree in a more academic Arts subject such as History or English.

Obviously if you want to go into an area such as interior design or something like that, then taking a degree based around that area would probably be the better thing to do. It's just when you have the very broad degrees such as Media/Film Studies that are pointless, IMO.
    Last edited by PhoenixFire; 23-01-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Yeah, i would just say that in my experience a lot of employers would prefer a Physics degree over a humanities one, because Physics is so much more difficult. They'd have more faith in the intelligence of a Physics grad than a sociology one.

I don't have a lot to back this up. It's just personal experience really.
    Unless it's a job that directly involves the application of Physics, I'd say this isn't actually true. If someone with a Physics degree is applying for a completely unrelated job straight out of uni it'll set off all sorts of warning sounds with recruiters that they're not actually much cop at their degree subject, especially if they've come out with a 2:2 or lower.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    If someone with a Physics degree is applying for a completely unrelated job straight out of uni it'll set off all sorts of warning sounds with recruiters that they're not actually much cop at their degree subject.
    Bollocks. My missus has a Physics Masters and whereever she applied for a job (all work completely un-Physics related) they wanted to snap her up. This is a fair while ago now, and just after she finished her degree, but whilst there were a lot of "Why the change in direction?" type questions, no one ever said that they counted it against her.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Bollocks. My missus has a Physics Masters and whereever she applied for a job (all work completely un-Physics related) they wanted to snap her up. This is a fair while ago now, and just after she finished her degree, but whilst there were a lot of "Why the change in direction?" type questions, no one ever said that they counted it against her.
    Well, they wouldn't, would they?

&, as someone whose job is not unconnected to recruitment, I can assure you it isn't bollocks. That's not to say people can't overcome it, but it's the kind of obvious thing recruiters and agencies use for sifts when they have x-hundred CVs to wade through.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Well, they wouldn't, would they?
    You say that, but plenty of people told me that my degree in Wicker Basket Construction & Conversational Esperanto was going to be of no use.

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    You know what's grinding my gears? The fact that nobody has given cpr **** for thinking this was the made/ruined thread

And Heath, you said your other half has a physics masters, shows slightly more commitment and understanding of her subject than those Brumby pointed to.

Oh and back to an earlier argument. I did a degree in politics, and after studying both I can categorically state I was far better at Physics than Sociology (did the former upto A level, latter as part of the degree..... managed to pass the former)
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    And Heath, you said your other half has a physics masters, shows slightly more commitment and understanding of her subject than those Brumby pointed to.
    Okay then, my first degree was a 2:1 in Chemistry. Didn't stop me getting the one job I applied for post-University which was nothing to do with Chemistry.

cpr
    Anyone can become a road sweeper HeathTriggerSpeed

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Anyone can become a road sweeper HeathTriggerSpeed
    If you say so, Dave.

cpr
    Lets not get into too much only fools, we know its either CDM or Andmarks favourite show.

Page 7 of 564 FirstFirst ... 567891757107507 ... LastLast

Thread Information