Cricket Player Manager
Page 507 of 565 FirstFirst ... 7407457497505506507508509517557 ... LastLast
Results 7,591 to 7,605 of 8461
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: You know what really grinds my gears? II

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Yeah, hate those ****s, and the ones collecting for charities and ****. Fine if you want to sit there and call out to people as they pass and see if they'll give you money, but in Newtown the ****s will actually step in front of you to stop you walking away and ****. Even if you're listening to music and never make eye contact. You're asking me for a favour ffs, you don't harass me if I'm obviously not interested. What if I have somewhere to be? What if I'm a dangerous maniac and invading my private space makes me uncomfortable and I stab you 40 times? Inconsiderate ****s.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Indeed, seperate wash baskets is the way to go. Wonder if Langers can find some old apartheid era signs lying around next time he's back in South Africa, would look awesome (if ever so slightly offensive) hung above the wash baskets
    Those signs are quite rare in public in SA now, usually you only see them in museums. They've started taking the Verwoerd statues down now.. I'm not sure why we can't be reminded of the historical siginificance of what happened, but I guess they fetch a bit on ebay, you can buy signs like these there.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    Street evangelists

If I'm walking reasonably briskly and looking at my watch (plus listening to music on headphones), it's a sign I'm not really that keen on the idea of being stopped to discuss religion. And don't interpret my discomfort as a lack of certainty about the meaning of life and an openness to being converted - I'm actually trying to get a word in so I can politely extricate myself from the situation.

And don't make it so obvious that you don't believe me when I say I have to be getting back to work - yes, some people do work Thursday nights.
    You're too polite Ed!
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    Yeah, hate those ****s, and the ones collecting for charities and ****. Fine if you want to sit there and call out to people as they pass and see if they'll give you money, but in Newtown the ****s will actually step in front of you to stop you walking away and ****. Even if you're listening to music and never make eye contact. You're asking me for a favour ffs, you don't harass me if I'm obviously not interested. What if I have somewhere to be? What if I'm a dangerous maniac and invading my private space makes me uncomfortable and I stab you 40 times? Inconsiderate ****s.
    ...if?

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Ed, your problem is you're tweening here. Trying to get past without being noticed, even if you don't make eye contact and are listening to music, makes you an easy target. If you avoid making eye contact then they can't even be sure that you've seen them there, and that's practically inviting a conversation on its own.

You need to casually slip on past, say hello if need be but with a look that says "No, the paralympians can get a job if they need money so badly"

OR

Run at full pace. Then they don't bother.

FTR I employ both of these strategies and I've still never given anybody a dime.
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    You guys are a bunch of pansies. Just walk confidently past them without deviating your track and if they so much as breathe in your general direction, say "Not interested, thank you." Trying to hide makes you more of a target.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 25-06-2011 at 01:53 AM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    ...if?
    +1.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Enormously uncomfortable taxi trips

There are some taxi trips that, even though they're the same distance really, feel infinitely longer than others. Tonight was one of those.

As soon as he pulled away from the taxi rank, the driver caught me by surprise with this - "never trust women, eh." I was like, "Sorry?" He repeated himself. I chuckled uneasily.

He then proceeded to rant for the rest of the trip about his lady troubles. Now, I don't mean to sound like I'm lacking in empathy, and I do usually pride myself on my ability to listen when people need to get things off their chest. But I usually prefer to do that for my friends, rather than for a taxi driver I first met literally 15 seconds earlier. This was just awkward, and it's really one of the last things I could have wanted after a long and busy day at work.

Surely he has friends he can talk to, rather than unloading on passengers who had no idea what they were getting into, and for whom the only other option is to leap out of a vehicle travelling at 80kph?
    Last edited by _Ed_; 28-06-2011 at 07:52 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    The worst is when they start going on a racist rant.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    And i hate it when i see advert for people to donate money to the children in africa at the end of the day if u cant afford them or look after them then dont have them!!!
    I've never seen a facebook comment quite this horrid before.

Yeah, very true.

cpr
    Had a taxi driver telling me a story once how his wife caught him having an affair with one of his customers. It'd all started when he gave her a free ride (which is more than the wife did!). Made damn sure I paid him at the end (in cash, before you start)
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    It can be annoying when taxi drivers do that, but tbf to them they probably have customers do it to them all the time and they just start treating it as the norm.
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    The worst is when they start going on a racist rant.
    This happens to me so ****ing much it's unbelievable. I don't know if taxi drivers in Sydney are just racist a lot of the time, or if I look like a racist and they think I'll agree with them, but I've probably had 20+ cab rides in my time in this city where the driver has gone on a random racist tirade with no specific relevance to what we were talking about, or even if we were talking at all.

One time I had this South African driver taking me to central station, and he said nothing for the first 20 minutes of the trip aside from "where to?", and then randomly just before we got there he goes "don't you hate how many Indians there are here?"

I hate South Africans more than Indians, FWIW. Worst accent going.

Strangely enough, I can't remember the last time I was in a cab where the driver was white.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

Thread Information