Cricket Player Manager
Page 463 of 564 FirstFirst ... 363413453461462463464465473513563 ... LastLast
Results 6,931 to 6,945 of 8459
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: You know what really grinds my gears? II

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I think I'll just leave it at that. Because unless this can be overcome, there's really no point having any consequent discussion.
    Well why don't you try explaining? Because all I've got from you so far is "But their lives are so bad and they don't see a way out".
    Bollocks, there are ways out, I've given examples of them.
    And there are sure as hell people in worse situations who are trying to find a way out.
    Turning to drugs is just simply never the best option.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Nobody is saying it's the best option.

But when you are in certain situations, you can only see one option.

When you're desperate, you don't think rationally. Sometimes you can just think that there is no light at the end of the tunnel, and take what will make you feel good there and then, because there's no hope.

It's irrelevant if there's actually hope because at that point, you don't feel like there is any,

I've only ever felt that way for a fleeting period of time. As I said, I got me a bottle of rum, sank it. I woke up the next morning, hungover, and thought, eh, that was silly. I still felt down, but not as much as I did, the day before.

Some people, have the 'down' feeling for a long time. It doesn't matter what possibilities there actually are or what in reality lies ahead, because in their mind there is only pain ahead. So relief from that pain is the only option that actually makes sense, to them.
    Phil Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Yeah, that's all fair and as I've said before, I'm in no position to tell anyone how they should live their lives.
    I just don't feel like I should have to agree with what they're doing or the reasons they give for doing what they do when there are alternatives.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Nobody is saying you should agree with it though. Nobody is trying to say drug addiction is a good thing. It's just no good to rigorously condemn someone in a position whose position, as you just said a few posts ago, you do not understand.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    As a mother, I'm offended by the mention of cigarettes...and don't you dare look at my child in that way for screaming loudly on the airplane. It's natural for a 10 year old to have a tantrum if it's not getting it's breast milk at regular intervals.
    Don't know why we can't just have smoking wombs for those who want to indulge without affecting others.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Ok, "I don't understand why people turn to drugs knowing full well that addiction is an almost guaranteed consequence".
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Nobody is saying it's the best option.

But when you are in certain situations, you can only see one option.

When you're desperate, you don't think rationally. Sometimes you can just think that there is no light at the end of the tunnel, and take what will make you feel good there and then, because there's no hope.

It's irrelevant if there's actually hope because at that point, you don't feel like there is any,

I've only ever felt that way for a fleeting period of time. As I said, I got me a bottle of rum, sank it. I woke up the next morning, hungover, and thought, eh, that was silly. I still felt down, but not as much as I did, the day before.

Some people, have the 'down' feeling for a long time. It doesn't matter what possibilities there actually are or what in reality lies ahead, because in their mind there is only pain ahead. So relief from that pain is the only option that actually makes sense, to them.
    I'll have a go at adding to what Corrin said above.

I'll keep this confined to smoking to keep it simple (because there's big differences in why people consume different drugs obvz).

As I said in VM this morning, there are a million reasons under the sun for why people end up smoking. Some people think it's cool, some give it a go the once and find they're very susceptible to addiction, some babies are born with the dependency, some people are so stressed they'll turn to anything to relieve it. There's plenty more.

Now it's very easy to label voluntary smoking as stupid, and tbh it pretty much is, but I'm saying that based off of my own life experiences. I would never do it, I've had enough medical issues already.

But some people see it as an effective stress reliever, and they don't care, ignore, realise but feel powerless, etc etc about the effects. Are they wrong to smoke? Yes, imo, but that's me talking in a currently happy, calm, rational state of mind (I can be rational, honest).

If a person is resorting to smoking as a stress reliever, are they neccessarily rational and calm? Maybe not. Some people do like smoking, others just snap and do it. People have a habit of turning to really stupid outlets when they're upset. We've all done it.

I think what I'm trying to say is, we don't always have the benefit of an ideal state of mind to make decisions with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Worst thing. One reason why running just isn't good for me.
    ****ing kills me. I'm unfit at the moment, but have been enjoying running, up until shin splints start to ruin the experience massively after more than 800m-1000m. I need to find a way to mitigate those issues.

So basically, if we apply rationality and a clear head to all the people in the world.... what I'm saying is right?

So basically, if we apply rationality and a clear head to all the people in the world.... what I'm saying is right?
    Well, sure, but life doesn't always go exactly to script. Not sure if you'd noticed that.

We can't all be as awesome as you.

Yeah, I realise that... but to me if you genuinely think starting to take heroin is better for your life than not doing so, that's not an unclear mind, It's ludicrous

How did we get here from pregnant smokers?o

Yeah, I realise that... but to me if you genuinely think starting to take heroin is better for your life than not doing so, that's not an unclear mind, It's ludicrous
    Just so we're clear, is anyone actually saying that? Or are you simply creating a straw man just for ****s and giggles?

People have said that people get to the stage where they see turning to drugs as Tue only option, the only escape and that there's no hope.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    And you deny that people ever feel this way?

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    I never intended to make it sound easy, just easy enough. IMO its never impossible to quit, despite what some people in this thread would have you believe.
    Mate, I can appreciate what your trying to say, that it's just not that hard to get off the stuff...frankly it is...I 'll speak from family experience...it took my sister 7 years to get off hard drugs. That's seven years from the start of rehab. Seven years with complete and total support from mum, dad my brother and me (me being aged 6 at the start and 13 at the end i still couldn't quite grasp the enormity of it until i grew up and had an intimate chat with my sister about it). It took seven years of sacrifice by my parents to get her back on the right track and off the drugs...which induced an acute level of schizophrenia. Now mate, i honestly believe that if she was left to keep hitting the drug she would be a bum on the street. Simply becasue she became dependent on the addiction...she needed the drugs just like you need internet access.

There is no on/off switch...there is a gradual slow release valve but **** me mate it's hard to turn.

Impossible to quit? No. But ****ing hard to even with the right support networks in place.
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    And you deny that people ever feel this way?
    No, I dispute the fact that they should ever feel that way... when there are alternatives.
    If drugs were the only option, then I'd have been chatting bollocks for the last 24 hours, but clearly that's not ever the case.

Thread Information