Page 462 of 564 FirstFirst ... 362412452460461462463464472512562 ... LastLast
Results 6,916 to 6,930 of 8451
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: You know what really grinds my gears? II

  1. #6916
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,491
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    As a mother, I'm offended by the mention of cigarettes...and don't you dare look at my child in that way for screaming loudly on the airplane. It's natural for a 10 year old to have a tantrum if it's not getting it's breast milk at regular intervals.
    Smack him one and he'll shut his trap.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 29-10-2010 at 01:11 AM. Reason: ffffuuuu posts per page
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  2. #6917
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,743
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    As a mother, I'm offended by the mention of cigarettes...and don't you dare look at my child in that way for screaming loudly on the airplane. It's natural for a 10 year old to have a tantrum if it's not getting it's breast milk at regular intervals.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  3. #6918
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    Shin Splints

    GAGFC, i just wanna be fit again.
    Worst thing. One reason why running just isn't good for me.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  4. #6919
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Above you
    Posts
    15,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Don't think this is a given to be honest. We all make different choices and deal with things different ways. Whether the circumstances or the addiction come first is a bit of a chicken and the egg scenario too isn't it?

    As far as I'm aware, supporting a heroin addiction isn't cheap. I think quite a few people have taken a fall from the top to the bottom thanks to an addiction. You don't necessarily have to already be at the bottom to take up something that's not good for you.

    Personally think you have to be partial to some pushing in the wrong direction to end up in some of these situations. Especially when it comes to smoking, which most people start in their teens through peer influence. Am not saying it's easy to give up once you've started though.
    I never intended to make it sound easy, just easy enough. IMO its never impossible to quit, despite what some people in this thread would have you believe.


  5. #6920
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    31,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    I never intended to make it sound easy, just easy enough. IMO its never impossible to quit, despite what some people in this thread would have you believe.
    These people being?

  6. #6921
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Above you
    Posts
    15,607
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    These people being?
    Well according to some (both you and Corrin), saying it's never impossible to quit through will-power is a "narrow minded and snobbish" point of view to have.
    So evidently you disagree and feel sometimes it is impossible?

    Not sure why I'm replying, I mean I could just be obnoxious as you were and reply to the above post with something irrelevant, allow you to clarify yourself before posting something along the lines of....

    This entire post is dreadful, and represents a truly terrible misunderstanding of the issue. I'm really sorry, I'm not trying to be funny, but there is just so much wrong here, that I can't even begin. I think I will also just leave this one here too.



    I'm Out.

  7. #6922
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    31,910
    I've not once said it is impossible to quite through will-power alone in all circumstances.

  8. #6923
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Above you
    Posts
    15,607
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I've not once said it is impossible to quite through will-power alone in all circumstances.
    Yeah, but obviously you feel it is impossible in some circumstances.
    Which is where I disagree because....

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    I never intended to make it sound easy, just easy enough. IMO its never impossible to quit, despite what some people in this thread would have you believe.
    But yeah, if I'm lacking such an understanding of the issue while you've got a much better idea because of your life experiences don't you think it would've been more beneficial for you to criticise the points I was making, rather than those I were't. Then after I point this out to you, rather than acting all holier-than-thou as if what I was saying was so ridiculous it was beneath you, actually responding.
    Last edited by Marcuss; 29-10-2010 at 06:28 AM.

  9. #6924
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    31,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Yeah, but obviously you feel it is impossible in some circumstances.
    Which is where I disagree because....
    In the most basic sense you are probably right. That said, it is not impossible to walk twice around the entire world in one lifetime. It's not impossible to drive down the M25 at 80mph whilst blindfolded and come out unscathed. It's not impossible to come through an addiction on will-power alone, but to suggest people just need to toughen up and be strict with themselves is making light of what is in essence an incredibly serious and difficult problem.

  10. #6925
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Above you
    Posts
    15,607
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    In the most basic sense you are probably right. That said, it is not impossible to walk twice around the entire world in one lifetime. It's not impossible to drive down the M25 at 80mph whilst blindfolded. It's not impossible to come through an addiction on will-power alone, but to suggest people just need to toughen up and be strict with themselves is making light of what is in essence an incredibly serious and difficult problem.
    That was never my intention though. My point was that people, at times, are pretty much given a free licence, there's a certain attitude that for people who have a poor enough quality of life, drugs are almost excusable. I resent that attitude, personally I don't understand it, nor do I understand why people turn to drugs when there are, what I deem to be, superior alternatives.
    Then there's the attitude that once people are on drugs it's impossible for them to get off once they've developed the addiction, which again I disagree with.
    It's not easy, and people might try and be unsuccessful a number of times but that in itself is not a reason to not try again.

  11. #6926
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    31,910
    My main problem with what was said earlier is this.

    No, I don't imagine addiction to be a pleasant thing, which is why I've said I never want one. Which is why I've said I don't understand why people take them up.
    Of course nobody would ever want to be addicted to anything, to be truly dependant on any substance must be appalling. You make constant reference to how you don't understand why people "take them up", nobody in the entire world takes up an addiction, suggesting someone makes a conscientious decision to become addicted to something just does not compute, this is not how it works.

    Furthermore, you seem to rather overestimate how easy to is to increase your employability and find a job. Even the most unskilled jobs are hard to come by for people with reasonable qualifications. You make it sound like you can walk into connexions and everything will magically become ok.

    I apologise if I was particularly condemning of your post earlier, but it just seemed like I was banging my head against a brick wall and it was all going around in circles. However,I take issue with you referring to me as being holier than thou also, for it is in fact you who appears to be judging those who you openly admit you consider below you.
    Last edited by sledger; 29-10-2010 at 06:40 AM.

  12. #6927
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    31,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    That was never my intention though. My point was that people, at times, are pretty much given a free licence, there's a certain attitude that for people who have a poor enough quality of life, drugs are almost excusable. I resent that attitude, personally I don't understand it, nor do I understand why people turn to drugs when there are, what I deem to be, superior alternatives.
    Then there's the attitude that once people are on drugs it's impossible for them to get off once they've developed the addiction, which again I disagree with.
    It's not easy, and people might try and be unsuccessful a number of times but that in itself is not a reason to not try again
    .
    Nobody has adovocated this stance throughout the entire discussion, of course it isn't impossible, and thank god for that in a lot of cases. But to dismiss such issues offhand as something which just requires a little dedication and effort is not giving full appreciation to how strenuous these processes of rehabilitation have been.

    Again, you make constant reference to what YOU would do, and how YOU do not understand it and how YOU deem something to be a superior alternative. But people are not all YOU, to apply some strict moral standard you have made for yourself and impose onto a group of people whose situation that you, nor I, nor most of there people on here can even begin to appreciate is failing to understand the bigger picture.

  13. #6928
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Above you
    Posts
    15,607
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    My main problem with what was said earlier is this.

    Of course nobody would ever want to be addicted to anything, to be truly dependant on any substance must be appalling. You make constant reference to how you don't understand why people "take them up", nobody in the entire world takes up an addiction, suggesting someone makes a conscientious decision to become addicted to something just does not compute, this is not how it works.

    Furthermore, you seem to rather overestimate how easy to is to increase your employability and find a job. Even the most unskilled jobs are hard to come by for people with reasonable qualifications. You make it sound like you can walk into connexions and everything will magically become ok.

    I apologise if I was particularly condemning of your post earlier, but it just seemed like I was banging my head against a brick wall and it was all going around in circles. However,I take issue with you referring to me as being holier than thou also, for it is in fact you who appears to be judging though who openly admit you consider below you.
    Ok, "I don't understand why people turn to drugs knowing full well that addiction is an almost guaranteed consequence". Is that any better? I've said before that, personally, I feel those that take up drugs, conscious of the fact addiction is a likely side-effect, might as well be "taking up the addicition".

    I don't overestimate how easy it is, it's difficult, I know that as I'm looking for a job myself right now. What I wasn't overestimating is that going to connexions, getting yourself into college and applying for the ALG are infinitely more likely to make your more employable than sitting at home and jacking up are. Like I said, the whole world isn't set against people like that, there are options out there and there are schemes set up to make it easier. They don't make it easy, they don't guarantee success but they're a whole lot better than turning to drugs IMO. So I just don't get why people would do so.

    If you were condemning? You know you were, it was pretty ****ing obvious.
    You can say you were banging your head against a brig wall, but the thing I took exception to was that you made a series of arguments against something I'd never said, I corrected you on what I was actually saying and then you treated that view point as though it wasn't worth your time, which I felt was rude and even hypocritical. Especially when, as you say yourself, you've been the one criticising me for, supposedly, judging those "deemed to be below me".

  14. #6929
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    31,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Ok, "I don't understand why people turn to drugs"
    I think I'll just leave it at that. Because unless this can be overcome, there's really no point having any consequent discussion.

  15. #6930
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Above you
    Posts
    15,607
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Nobody has adovocated this stance throughout the entire discussion, of course it isn't impossible, and thank god for that in a lot of cases. But to dismiss such issues offhand as something which just requires a little dedication and effort is not giving full appreciation to how strenuous these processes of rehabilitation have been.

    Again, you make constant reference to what YOU would do, and how YOU do not understand it and how YOU deem something to be a superior alternative. But people are not all YOU, to apply some strict moral standard you have made for yourself and impose onto a group of people whose situation that you, nor I, nor most of there people on here can even begin to appreciate is failing to understand the bigger picture.
    I've never said it requires a little of anything. It requires huge amounts of self discipline and determination, of course it's not easy, again I've never said it is.
    But it's not impossible, so it is easy enough. It's not too hard for anyone.
    I'm not dismissing it out of hand, I appreciate that it's tough but that doesn't mean they shouldn't or can't try.

    I've said before I can only speak about things as I understand them. If you're honestly suggesting that to some, jacking up on heroin will make the situation better for them than getting out and at least trying to get a job, then I fundamentally disagree.
    You've said yourself that they turn to drugs "to escape", well all I've said is why don't they make the best efforts to actually get themselves out of the mess.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •